• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Limit smoke nades a bit more

jedinstven-o crni Wuk said:
well, something i use, but only on maps, you can recover objectives. When the enemy captured the objective, you often can use his OWN smoke to counterattack as well. I think thats somewhat, that shoud not be forget while using smoke, it gives always advantages AND disadvantages. Though some slight restriction woud not hurt i think and woud make it even more tactical.

That's the problem.
It changes gameplay quote a lot, but the maps are the same, so there sometimes is a limited way you can counter things, which makes it more difficult in some places for defenders. They are left without much opportunity if they can't recap.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
Ah...your comment suggest a change of tactics rather than a limit of smoke. Personally I love em. The maps all seem new again when someone puts down a smoke you didn't expect.

A limit to one nade WILL improve tactics. And I said I liked them too, but 2 nades are overkill.

Drude said:
People just whine because their old tactics wont work.

Think and improve.

This isnt clan play we are talking about. Inorder to bring a more organized, tactical, and teamwork based play among the pubbies, limits must be imposed to help guide it along. Everyone will enjoy the game more because of it.

One smoke nade and one frag nade is not a bad loadout if you ask me. Not a heavy restriction of the player asset, while still completly allowing the commander to be in a very useful, leadership role.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A smoke grenade doesn't belong in everyone's hands in all maps. They were used by the Germans in special conditions (for surprise or to blind the enemy) and the Soviets had like I stated before had very little or virtually non existant use of the smoke grenade. I believe they started using smoke grenades in the late war but again very limited use.

All I am saying is instead of the "commander" getting smoke grenades on every map how about making it so on specific maps like Stalingrad the commander gets the choice of spawning with the smoke grenades. It would greatly improve the realism which is my problem with the smoke grenade. I really don't care that everyone spams them everywhere. Its not a problem but historically that was inaccuarte and RO is meant to be accuarte.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lazermane, wern't you the guy who was trying to say that the Russians rode on top of BA 64s during battle?

At The End Of The Day It Is My Well-placed Bullet That Does You In, Not A Smoke Grenade.

uhm, if you can't ever see me you can't shoot me, and I'll just capture the objective, when the smoke clears you might shoot me, but I will already have capped so in the end we both lose.

Upvote 0
LazerMane said:
IF YOU GUYS ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH SMOKE GRENADES YOU MUST NOT KNOW HOW TO FIRE YOUR BULLETS CORRECTLY.

What does a proposed limit to the overuse of smoke in its current situation have to do with knowing how to fire the guns? Firing your gun doesnt change the fact that 2 smokes each respawn still "feel" (and in play are) too excessive on most RO maps.

But thanks for your theory.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I think I have a good suggestion regarding the limiting of smoke grenades.

I used to be of the opinion that as far as games go, the more options the better. I no longer believe that. While modding and mutating is the greatest thing since sliced bread it ought not to be the way that problems are fixed. There is a problem with smoke grenades spam and I am as guilty of it as anyone.

However, I do think that smoke grenades are, in fact, quite tactical. I've seen mentioned that as a fix, smoke grenades should be limited to one per spawn. I do not think this is the correct solution. In order for smoke grenades to be realistic and tactical they shouldn't be used to make a smoke "cloud" but rather as a smoke "screen." In order to make a nice screen often two grenades need to be thrown 30 feet apart at the same time. Of course there should be the option of a mapper to give the commander only one smoke per spawn if is a small map.

Instead, the way that I recommend fixing smoke grenade spam is the same way in which artillery spam is limited in RO. That is, by a per round basis instead of a per spawn basis. In other words, commanders still spawn with two smoke grenades, but there is a limited number that can be thrown per round, dependent on the map.

In addition, when a commander dies he should not drop any unused smoke grenades. The reason being that a common soldier would probably not have the authorization to use smoke grenades without his CO consent. The easiest way to realistically portray this would be just to have the smoke grenades not be dropped.

There would have to be some notice on the commanders HUD telling him how many he has for the rest of the round in addition to how many he has on his person.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Verluste21 said:
So now you get maps with no smoke on it. Byebye to balanced gameplay.

Sorry, but smokes dont instantly make a map balanced. Especially when they are added after the fact.

Maschine Pistole-38 said:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10797

Someone who actually did something about it rather than sitting in a thread and complaining/debating. Seriously guys if you are honest to God upset about the new Booster pack changes, just mod it!

Ive already seen that mutator. The purpose of these suggestion boards is to convey exactly that, our suggestions. Ill sit in this thread and debate it all I want, a mutator came of it. See how well it works? Ofcourse, my suggestion is a one frag, one smoke loadout, so its not quite there yet. So the debate shall continue.

Upvote 0