• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Limit smoke nades a bit more

[5.SS]Strother said:
I havn't played online with the new patch yet (i just got RO on my new laptop) so I'm not sure how the grenades are working in game. I'm curious if they will be used as how I thought they would be (abused) or if they would be used properly.

Well, for instance Germans can't defend South Railyard on Stalingrad anymore because Russians completely block the capzone with smoke. Go figure.

Upvote 0
First good work on the level. It is by far the best looking level in RO so far and it is an especially fun infantry level.
As for the smoke grenades....well the only thing I can say about smoke grenades is that the Soviets rarely had any.
Only the Germans used smoke grenades frequently so I'd like to see a bit of an restriction (like one smoke grenade) for the Soviet side. After all RO is not COD 2 where realism is unnessisarely sacrificed for "entertainment"?! :mad: (I am still mad I bought COD 2!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your not the only one. I wish they limited the smoke grenades a bit more also. Here's another one of my ideas. Instead of giving German's smoke grenades, how about start the game with a smoke barrage right infront of the Russian positions. This would allow a bigger smokescreen, more cover and make it much more fun to defend.

Upvote 0
IMO the smoke grenades are used pretty good, by good commanders at least.
last night on konigsplatz the russian tank was raping us, so i asked the commander to smoke it, wich he did. i thanked him, crawled around to the side of the tank since he could not see me and killed it off with a faust.
i smell a whole new world of possibilities.
also, i love the density of the smoke:eek:

Upvote 0
I think the problem here is that the commander gets 2 new smoke nades EVERY time he spawns.

One possible solution to this is for the game to check to see if there are any active smokescreens when the commander spawns. If there is, he only gets frag nades.

That would prevent someone from hucking two smoke nades, killing themselves, and then spawing with two NEW smoke nades, hucking them, killing themselves, and so forth.

A griefer could probably chuck a hundred or so nades on a map, killing the performance so bad that it either brings the server down or forces everyone to log off.

I was a big supporter of smoke grenades, and still am. But they WILL be abused and need to be limited, IMHO.

Upvote 0
Drude said:
What, does smoke count "invuln barrier of thick smoke".

Just kill the russians and move forward.
Being a "senior member", did you ever played this game at all? Germans have nowhere to "move forward" from South Yard in Stalingrad, it's their last defense. The problem with smoke is, they can't shoot the attacking russians from german spawn. They can't go and attack russians from the rear becouse of the minefield. So their only option is to throw nades into the smoke.

On the side note: I'm quite amazed about the whole discourse about the smoke granades on these forums. Do you realize that smoke completely changes the tactics on many maps? Do you personally like this change that was imposed on you? Does it look realistic to you?

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Being a "senior member", did you ever played this game at all? Germans have nowhere to "move forward" from South Yard in Stalingrad, it's their last defense. The problem with smoke is, they can't shoot the attacking russians from german spawn. They can't go and attack russians from the rear becouse of the minefield. So their only option is to throw nades into the smoke.

On the side note: I'm quite amazed about the whole discourse about the smoke granades on these forums. Do you realize that smoke completely changes the tactics on many maps? Do you personally like this change that was imposed on you? Does it look realistic to you?

The devs changed the caps on Kaukasus (stopping the tower being recappable) because the new leaning feature apparently made the game easier for the defenders. (IIRC)

There have been (I think) no changes to maps since the addition of smoke grenades, so maps which were balanced with the old "rules" may not be balanced anymore, which could be an issue in terms of completely messing up the balance of maps. Not saying it definately will change the balance, but it could, since maps are mostly the same.

Upvote 0