• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Limit smoke nades a bit more

breadtruck said:
While I enjoy the smokes, It seems to be too much in the games Ive been playing.

Id like to see the commander with 1 smoke, and 1 frag grenade. Will force them to choose a better area to toss it rather than how it is now, where people just kinda lob em together anywhere on the map. lol

I have found that my heart will start pounding knowing there is an enemy right there in the smoke with me...lol and he will 90% of the time kill me. :) Tweaking will come I am sure, and this is still an awesome game.

Yes, it is stupid that I get anxious over a game.

Upvote 0
Ok, here is a quick fix to Smoke-Spamming, Nade-Spamming and people "ramboing" more than playing tactically: Increase respawn times by 20 seconds on every map and increase the distance to reach an objective\join the fight by 50%. Then maybe RO would regain the feeling it had in the UT Mod and that I (and many others apparently) loved.

Upvote 0
Neuromante said:
Ok, here is a quick fix to Smoke-Spamming, Nade-Spamming and people "ramboing" more than playing tactically: Increase respawn times by 20 seconds on every map and increase the distance to reach an objective\join the fight by 50%. Then maybe RO would regain the feeling it had in the UT Mod and that I (and many others apparently) loved.

Yeah, as the maps change, some of my favorites maps loose their appeal, Arad. However, I now love Orel and Blackday for my tanking maps, especially if there is team playing on both sides. Those games are the best!

Upvote 0
Adjusting to the new dimensions smoke nades brings is one thing...

But everybody who has said something about needing a tweak is absolutely right! You can spam 6 smoke grenades in the span of a minute or 2 and obscure the entire battle area for more than enough time to make it impossible to defend.

1 smoke grenade max! I thought when we were told about them that "some maps" would now have smokes...not all.

It seems the devs have all but eliminated any sort of firefights you can have...especially long-range ones. Now its just throw a smoke and cap. I havent played a public game that was won by the defenders yet...

Upvote 0
Neuromante said:

Or you could go with my idea which nobody bothered to comment on... :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
ProfessorKayos said:
Adjusting to the new dimensions smoke nades brings is one thing...

But everybody who has said something about needing a tweak is absolutely right! You can spam 6 smoke grenades in the span of a minute or 2 and obscure the entire battle area for more than enough time to make it impossible to defend.
How is this possible? Only the commander has them and he only has two. :confused: I played for HOURS last night and I never saw "smoke spam". What I did see is that they are fairly large and last fairly long, which is perfect. I also saw inexperienced players tossing smoke when they must have thought it was a grenade. This created smoke in some very unusual areas and typically wasn't very tactically sound. (i.e. I saw OUR commander toss smoke onto an objective we were supposed to defend, that made it pretty difficult)

It's not impossible to defend a smoked area. If you KNOW they are coming into the smoke, toss grenades into to it. It's gotten me tons of kills as the assaulters move into the safe smoke. It's also time for the automatics, especially the machine gun to spray the area down. It will slow them down.

I dissagree that less than 24 hours after release, people are yelling for changing them already. For god sakes, give the playerbase a chance to experiment. You people are reactionary. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
How is this possible? Only the commander has them and he only has two. :confused: I played for HOURS last night and I never saw "smoke spam". What I did see is that they are fairly large and last fairly long, which is perfect. I also saw inexperienced players tossing smoke when they must have thought it was a grenade. This created smoke in some very unusual areas and typically wasn't very tactically sound. (i.e. I saw OUR commander toss smoke onto an objective we were supposed to defend, that made it pretty difficult)

It's not impossible to defend a smoked area. If you KNOW they are coming into the smoke, toss grenades into to it. It's gotten me tons of kills as the assaulters move into the safe smoke. It's also time for the automatics, especially the machine gun to spray the area down. It will slow them down.

I dissagree that less than 24 hours after release, people are yelling for changing them already. For god sakes, give the playerbase a chance to experiment. You people are reactionary. :rolleyes:

toss 2. die, respawn immediately. toss 2 more.

Its quite simple...with respawns often less than 10 seconds and objectives being fairly close by.

I was the one doing the spamming on Basovka!! I know it can be done and how to do it. It is only a matter of time before Commanders start suiciding to get more smokes.

And your argument that smokes are good cuz they increase/encourage nade spam scares me...TKs will run rampant if everybody listens to you. "Spray the area" is not much better...

I am glad you didnt find smoke spam...I wish I could say the same, but that was the first thing I learned as a Commander.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:

after playing the new smoke-maps for 3 hours:

It has completely changed the gameplay. Strelok/Sch

Upvote 0
Drude said:
People just whine because their old tactics wont work.

Think and improve.

NOW that is wrong.

People do not complain here mainly, to remove it, just to restrict it a bit more. See on it like a sniper or mg guner. How woud that feel, if we woud have unlimited sniper classes available.

I have no problem with smoke, they even coud let it stay how it is, i realy do not care, but i can at least understand people that demand a "bit" restriction. I think it woud not hurt to much.

[-project.TwentY3-] said:
How can one adapt to this tactic? There is no counter tactic to it.
If so please elaborate.

well, something i use, but only on maps, you can recover objectives. When the enemy captured the objective, you often can use his OWN smoke to counterattack as well. I think thats somewhat, that shoud not be forget while using smoke, it gives always advantages AND disadvantages. Though some slight restriction woud not hurt i think and woud make it even more tactical.

Upvote 0
ProfessorKayos said:
And your argument that smokes are good cuz they increase/encourage nade spam scares me...TKs will run rampant if everybody listens to you. "Spray the area" is not much better...
I would guess that anyone that runs into enemy smoke would learn quickly that they can get TK'd. I killed some team mates on Odessa last night that insisted not only running into the smoke, but doing so while we were spraying it down. Ah...Darwin at work, viturally speaking.

Why anyone would want to constantly smoke/suicide/smoke again is beyond me. Very rarely do you spawn close to the objective and I can't imagine someone wanting to do it other than griefing. Of course, you'll always have griefers, but I see less on RO than other games.

Like many have mentioned, smoke works both ways.

Upvote 0
Harry S. Truman said:
I would guess that anyone that runs into enemy smoke would learn quickly that they can get TK'd. I killed some team mates on Odessa last night that insisted not only running into the smoke, but doing so while we were spraying it down. Ah...Darwin at work, viturally speaking.

Why anyone would want to constantly smoke/suicide/smoke again is beyond me. Very rarely do you spawn close to the objective and I can't imagine someone wanting to do it other than griefing. Of course, you'll always have griefers, but I see less on RO than other games.

Like many have mentioned, smoke works both ways.

smoke/suicide/smoke is as lame as spraying bullets wildly into a cloud of smoke when you dont know who is in or beyond it.

Upvote 0