• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Leveling with bots should be forbidden !

The whole "unlocks" and "ranks" system is f***ing stupid anyway. It creates an idiotic "metagame" that BECOMES the game. For many players, playing the game is the thing you do so that you can "win" at the unlocks game. Instead of, you know, actually just ENJOYING PLAYING THE BASE GAME.

It used to be, back in the good ol' days, that if you were better than someone else at PLAYING the game, you would beat them in a straight-up fight. Now, of course, because the game declares that they have "ranked up," they get additional bonuses like 5-10% recoil reduction and a wider array of weapons from which to choose.

Pretty much this :D

Sorry, didn't notice this post before but this is spot on.

If anyone feels like it, you can check my stats for BFBC2 (PC) on what the unlock / creditation system did to me...

All I was concerned was for maxing out every single gun after which I would have been able to "enjoy the game" without any fear of not being complete or getting every achievement available.

I'm pretty glad to say that for some reason RO2 has not produced the same kind of behaviour and I'm rather able to enjoy the game and go for objectives instead of worrying about getting the max amount of kills without maxing out everything and not worrying about the K/D ratio.

In that sense I would like to continue what I said earlier regarding these bots that they could as well allow the weapons / classes be ranked up in the single player against bots (if possible). I mean it still means that you have gotten those kills / points with the said weapons and most likely know how to use them.

Upvote 0
They don't show up in the player count or in the player list, the server info doesn't display whether or not they are enabled, and there is no filter for bots.

Ok, thanks for the info. I suspected that this was the case since I remember joining a server and finding it odd that there were more players than indicated in the server browser and all their names were Ivan :D

Upvote 0
Again, some of us server admins have a minimal amount of bots enabled to help with populating the server. They are set to HERO which doesn't mean they act smarter it just means they kill you with impossible to make shots etc.

If this thread is here to ask TWI to disable all stat-tracking when even one bot is detected in a server then I have to say that is bull****. You people just one server that you can go to? Some of us have a harder time populating our servers does that mean we should have to sit in our server alone with nothing to do waiting for people?

Get your heads out of your arses.......there will be "farming" for points regardless of bots or not. Boosting is done in ANY/EVERY game that tracks and/or unlocks things. Period.

As pointed out previously.....

In our server bots are only used to keep the server at a 5 v 5 player-minimum and they are set to HERO difficulty which makes "farming" not really possible. You (the player) may end up with 15-25 kills at the end of the round but so will some of the bots (against you the player).

After hours and hours of testing this type of config in our server we have evidence that the above type of config (keeping the numbers of bots low, and having their difficulty set to HERO) does not allow for "farming".

I believe that disabling of stat-tracking when/if bots are detected on a server would be a grave mistake and I for one would no longer play the game anymore. Who in their right mind wants to sit on their server with 1 or 2 people trying to populate? At least with bots bringing it to a 5v5 you have something to shoot at while going after the objectives.

the Monk

Reactions: wooki
Upvote 0
Again, some of us server admins have a minimal amount of bots enabled to help with populating the server. They are set to HERO which doesn't mean they act smarter it just means they kill you with impossible to make shots etc.

If this thread is here to ask TWI to disable all stat-tracking when even one bot is detected in a server then I have to say that is bull****. You people just one server that you can go to? Some of us have a harder time populating our servers does that mean we should have to sit in our server alone with nothing to do waiting for people?

Get your heads out of your arses.......there will be "farming" for points regardless of bots or not. Boosting is done in ANY/EVERY game that tracks and/or unlocks things. Period.
Voice of reason.

Upvote 0
You miss a point that has been made many times in the thread. Playing against bots will not make you a better player against human opponents.
Meaning a fully unlocked botfarmer will almost certainly lack the skills of a level 25 who's only played against real people.

I've played a lot of local botmatches when my net is too slow. That effectively makes me a worse player every time I join online since I become careless and sloppy by fighting inferior opponents. I am a mellow guy but man, having those botfights in my system when meeting real people makes for really rage inducing fails :D

Edit: Just realised you were just upset about the stat progress system and didn't even mention bots. Oh well. My point is some point anyway.

I don't disagree. Playing against bots won't teach you anything except, perhaps, the map layouts, and the general directions from which enemies approach, which is still somewhat useful. The rest of the time, it's just helpful in boosting your stats so that you can level the playing field with other players. Other than that, it's just target practice.

Upvote 0
I don't particularly care what anybody thinks. I play a couple of hours in the evening, occasionally I'll jump on a empty bot server for a 1/2 or so, just to up some of my lesser played weapons.

The unlocks are pretty ridiculous that to gain your weapons full potential I might have to play for a few months; it's quite likely that I will never unlock my full weapons potential on all the different classes...which is silly really.

So call it pathetic if you wish, but I still play for fun and QQ.

Upvote 0
@Solo4114:

I haven't said there are no games that are intuitive to learn. But then again, in games in which you are competing with other players, new players will be disadvantaged compared to the veterans. Looking at the FPS genre it already starts with lacking knowledge of the maps as example.

To the ranking. Again I don't mind this feature. I would play the game with or without it. I simply enjoy the game.

To a certain degree it even makes sense to me, that you improve some skills along the way. Because that is somewhat realistic. Example: reloading speed. When I left the army, I was able to reload my gun faster than that day, I reloaded the gun for the first time.

I also don't see such a huge problem in it. I don't feel the fully-ranked-players are ubersoldiers that I cannot kill. If I play carefully and tactically, I rarely come into a situation where advanced stats would be of any use. It's not like as if I'd run into a room with an enemy, we both shoot at each other, both clips are empty the same time and I finally loose because he reloaded his gun half a second faster. If I watch a doorway and and enemy pops out, I could kill him with a single bullet, no matter if he is lvl 1, 10 or 100.

Although I cannot always understand the frustration, I see that a lot of folks are indeed frustrated. I don't think TWI will take off the whole system, but maybe they should try to find a solution, so that all this bashing in the forums comes to an end. The latest patch was good step. It's just a matter of time when the first servers setup without MKBs, AVTs, ranking and whatnot will be setup.

Upvote 0
Why do you people care if someone use bots to level up?

Leveling up doesn't mean anything really. A high level player isn't neccesary better than someone else. Any run and gun lonewolf can level up: as a matter of fact, everyone can level up with bots so it isn't unfair in any sense. The whole leveling up system with unlocks and skillpoints is ridiculous anyway so it may just spare people a lot of time and get rid of it faster.

Reactions: Falkenhorst
Upvote 0
Why do you people care if someone use bots to level up?

Leveling up doesn't mean anything really. A high level player isn't neccesary better than someone else. Any run and gun lonewolf can level up: as a matter of fact, everyone can level up with bots so it isn't unfair in any sense. The whole leveling up system with unlocks and skillpoints is ridiculous anyway so it may just spare people a lot of time and get rid of it faster.

Exactly.

Im tired of the grind. If people want to waste their life away grinding in a game, play TWI's grindfest known as Killing Floor.

That said, I havent leveled using bots. I just dont disagree with it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Seems to me a much better solution to this would be NOT to disable stats on servers with bots but just to make bot kills worth much less in terms of leveling. It wouldn't totally stop this type of thing (nothing will - people do this type of thing even on hardcore sims like rise of flight) but it would cut down on it, and you'd have to really waste your time to get anything from it.

Upvote 0
It's sex? Guessing you don't get much then eh? I mean really.........? Are all of your posts this vapid and devoid of intelligence?

Taking it to a personal attempt isn't exactly helping your point any.

Oh, and just because "people boost in every game with stats" doesn't mean it should be ignored. That's like me saying there's cheaters in every game, so we should just let them cheat because it's a minority in the group. I'm not extreme against bot farmers, but I do think that 75% of the players in a server should be human before stats go live. This would cut down on farming significantly and still allow the use of bots to populate a server to its capacity.

Upvote 0