• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's talk about the incoming balance changes on medic HM401!

Dr. Lethal;n2307339 said:
Actually, some teams do die because they don't have a good medic.
Let's say a medic can extend the life span of a player that plays on a difficulty where he doesn't belong.

Dr. Lethal;n2307339 said:
Same thing can be said for firebugs. People often look down on them in HoE because of some people's habits of triggering everything in sight and pissing off the big zeds when fire does squat on them. A good medic will focus more on healing and kill trash when necessary while good firebugs will incinerate all trash and avoid big zeds.
A firebug can do nothing what other perks can't do better and cleaner, without making zeds dance and obscuring visibility. Also when you play HoE+ with increased spawns the firebug just doesnt cut it. He will run out of ammo before a mando or slinger that can also speedkill big zeds, without making a mess.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2307351 said:
Let's say a medic can extend the life span of a player that plays on a difficulty where he doesn't belong.

A firebug can do nothing what other perks can't do better and cleaner, without making zeds dance and obscuring visibility. Also when you play HoE+ with increased spawns the firebug just doesnt cut it. He will run out of ammo before a mando or slinger that can also speedkill big zeds, without making a mess.
If a player doesn't belong in HoE (usually those stupid low level players) he should just let them die. That's what I do. Also, why does it matter to you how clean something is? You're killing zeds and spreading blood all over the place. There's nothing CLEAN about it. I take firebug on Nuke, Prison, Farmhouse, Biotics Lab, and occasionally Descent and I do my job well. A good firebug will manage his ammo if there isn't a support around to leech ammo from. Bad ones will just spray all day and run dry before half the wave is done. By the way, if you can't see past the flames then you need to change your video settings.

Upvote 0
"Clean" means that you shoot a zed and it drops to the ground instantly. No running around headless. No running around waving arms that catch bullets. No eratically movement that will cause a chain reaction because other zeds pathing will be influenced and they jump to angles that will make the headshooters miss. The problem with the firebug perk in a team environment is that it depends on so much considerateness (from both teammates and firebug player) that it simply lacks in efficiency. And when you push the limits of what a team can handle, then you will get sooner or later to the point where is simply no place for a firebad.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2307400 said:
"Clean" means that you shoot a zed and it drops to the ground instantly. No running around headless. No running around waving arms that catch bullets. No eratically movement that will cause a chain reaction because other zeds pathing will be influenced and they jump to angles that will make the headshooters miss. The problem with the firebug perk in a team environment is that it depends on so much considerateness (from both teammates and firebug player) that it simply lacks in efficiency. And when you push the limits of what a team can handle, then you will get sooner or later to the point where is simply no place for a firebad.

It doesn't lack efficiency, you just haven't had a good firebug on the team. Stop treating your opinion like its fact. I played on team's that had commandos and sharpies and we all get along just fine. One firebug can handle an area by himself until a big zed comes in that direction, at which point he should order someone else to take care of it. Or in another scenario, I'm at the front keeping the zeds back while the head hitters take shots past me to strike the distant zeds. Only time I back up is if I see a big zed coming.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2307401 said:
One firebug can handle an area by himself until a big zed comes in that direction, at which point he should order someone else to take care of it. [...] Only time I back up is if I see a big zed coming.
See, and that is exactly the problem. You hold your lane just fine, until you get a spawn of 2 FP + 3 SC clustered in a bunch of trash. And then what? Stop shooting and call for an adult...

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2307402 said:
See, and that is exactly the problem. You hold your lane just fine, until you get a spawn of 2 FP + 3 SC clustered in a bunch of trash. And then what? Stop shooting and call for an adult...

How is it a problem? Calling for someone to deal with a threat you're not supposed to deal with is never an issue. Also you do realize that trash can be easily taken care of with a few puffs of flame right? Sure, the big zed may stumble for a few seconds, but it wont be enough to tick them off.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2307406 said:
Just play on a server with the "Controlled Difficulty" mutator and see how far you make it, before your team asks you to change the perk...

Yeah sorry, I don't like playing on custom servers. I believe HoE is fine the way it is. Also to clarify on my other statement, big zed groups rarely, if at all, spawn with trash around them (as in the combined TO and SC groups). Individual big zeds will have little friends around them, but they will either run faster than the big zed or just be easily taken out first.

Upvote 0
Dr. Lethal;n2307408 said:
big zed groups rarely, if at all, spawn with trash around them
Thats simply not true. I played more than enough with a dear friend who likes to play firebug. We communicated, we all tried our best to get along. Still there were those occasions where he just - accidentially - broke down the line of defense. Mostly because he had to stop firing, in fear of causing inadvertantly chaos. You can tell me what you want... I will always perefere someone besides me who does clean takedowns, without turning the map into a dancefloor, overloaded with graphical effects.

Reactions: Buzzkillinton
Upvote 0
Gladius;n2307412 said:
Thats simply not true. I played more than enough with a dear friend who likes to play firebug. We communicated, we all tried our best to get along. Still there were those occasions where he just - accidentially - broke down the line of defense. Mostly because he had to stop firing, in fear of causing inadvertantly chaos. You can tell me what you want... I will always perefere someone besides me who does clean takedowns, without turning the map into a dancefloor, overloaded with graphical effects.

Is it anything where you just pick a certain sentence and respond to that? Because I know you also cut out an important tidbit where I explained how trash killers can work together. By the way, if having to stop firing would cause a potential failure then the team is crap for not being able to handle it. However, I'm also assuming you're using custom servers as an example, which isn't good because it's nothing compared tongue vanilla game.

Upvote 0
That custom server exaple is just an illustration for what the problem is to begin with. I'm afraid it doesn't matter what I tell you. You said it youreslf that you have to rely on help from your teammates and that is exactly what makes firebug less viable than other perks when SHTF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gladius;n2307418 said:
That custom server exaple is just an illustration for what the problem is to begin with. I'm afraid it doesn't matter what I tell you. You said it youreslf that you have to rely on help from your teammates and that is exactly what makes firebug less viable than other perks when SHTF.

Because using a custom server which can have changes much more than that of the vanilla game isn't a good example. All perks rely on their teammates in some fashion, so by your logic all of them are in the same boat. Yet here you are crapping on firebugs just because you dont like their preferred method of killing. Since it sounds like you don't play firebug yourself, you fail to understand that. While I can't deal with big zeds as a firebug, guess who gets the important job of making sure trash doesn't interfere with the big zed killing? Trash zeds WILL screw you over if someone doesn't keep them in check if the team is starting to focus on the big guys. So, while the others go handle the big ones, I move to plug any holes where trash come out (and clear an escape route to retreat). In many cases if a big zed comes through a chokepoint, I toss a Molly behind him to plug the little hole he made for his friends

Upvote 0
Yeah, you throw a molotov which burns without control and then suddenly the next big zed comes around the corner and is ablaze. Firebug is bad because it's messy and it relys on damage over time and when the team is holding a tight spot there is no time to dance around. Firebug needs intense babysitting and not everyone likes that. That's why this perk is not popular on HoE.

Upvote 0
Gladius;n2307456 said:
Yeah, you throw a molotov which burns without control and then suddenly the next big zed comes around the corner and is ablaze. Firebug is bad because it's messy and it relys on damage over time and when the team is holding a tight spot there is no time to dance around. Firebug needs intense babysitting and not everyone likes that. That's why this perk is not popular on HoE.

Completely ignores the fact I said individual zed and not group of big zeds. Doesn't take into account that before throwing the Molly I make sure no other big zed is coming behind them. If he steps into the fire when the Molly is halfway burnt up it still won't piss off the zed, just make him turn cold for a moment since he's panicking around. And he thinks Pyro needs intense babysitting when in reality it doesn't so long as he's mindful of what he's burning. Same with with supports and demos when they shoot stuff. Their bullets/are far more likely to piss off a big zed than fire would. Also, zeds going over ground fire will die within seconds, so there's no room for "clean" kills when you're popping zeds in the most brutal way possible. You can make up all the excuses you want but just because you had a bad experience with a few crap players doesn't make a perk bad. Several players have thanked my butt for keeping the annoying trash at bay so they don't get distracted when dealing with the big ones.

Upvote 0
It's not just because it doesn't fit my perfered playstyle of a coordinated teamplay holding a tight position without chaos and kiting. It's also because I find the gameplay of area of effect weapons and body damage dull. It is the perk with the lowest skill floor. Aim for the ground in the rough direction where the zeds are. Then dance around while waiting for them to diminish. It's not like the firebug could do anything better than other perks. He does it only with lower effort. And when the limits get pushed it just becomes a liability to the team.

Upvote 0