• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Let's Fix Tripwire Traps!

IceFuse

Aug 13, 2017
Call to Action for Scout players to beg for Tripwire traps to get fixed/adjusted like they were before the Revolver/Makarov update. I only told Yoshiro about it once in passing a couple months ago but obviously I am just a simple one man soul who needs help to drum up the community to fix this issue that many poor souls joining after that fateful update thought was a feature.

Simply put, change how tripwires now (for the longest time since 2017) perceive collision that is tied to the bottom of the tripwire stick. Previously the wire/top of the stick determined how far apart/how angled the tripwire can be placed, especially when we used to place them in such unexpected locations instead of relying on a gap in a space.

The "bug fix" for the tripwires came when they stopped being able to be placed on the ground entirely, in which your character would do the animation but it would not work.
Then said fix with the Revolver/Makarov update caused tripwires to be reliant on the collision of the bottom of the stick, instead of the top of it or the wire connecting.
No scout who is playing really places any tripwires anymore because of how difficult it has always been since then, and unfairly inaccurate to how a tripwire can connect appropriately.

The most notorious case is attempting to place a tripwire between the pile of rubble and the broken wall gap entering the Hue Temple courtyard (F).

Here is an ancient 2017 relic video of tripwire trap placement (doesn't go extreme like I have done it but as you can see it's shown to be so much easier).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJobfHemgDM

Yoshiro;n2329575 said:
Thanks for the writeup and picture. Making sure QA sees this now!

This might sound like flame, but as someone interested in QA as a discipline - how come QA haven't noticed the issue before now?

It seems like perhaps testers either:
  • thought the bug was just "how bad the traps have always been"
  • don't play the class enough to notice.
  • thought it was already a reported issue
Perhaps someone could made a system to help prevent these oversights?
For example, a script might create a log file recording weapons and classes used, and then after tests or matches asks the testers something like:

"You used the following classes and items
  • Did you have any issues to report or comments to make about these?"
    so you can jolt testers' memories and help the QA leads keep track of what is or isn't getting playtested generally. This seems like it would be be useful to your QA process to me.

For example, if data shows that testers start to neglect a certain class or weapon (however unconsciously) you could infer that an underused class / item is both:

a) not popular due either to being underpowered or bugged, making it less effective, or simply not fun enough;
    b) not being actively tested enough, meaning issues could get missed

Upvote 0