• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

leg shot

Plaid13

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 22, 2006
We have all been shot in the leg in the game and came to a full out dead stop while still standing. This has to be one of the least realistic features in the game. I think something needs to be changed. Maybe make it so it slows you down only 50%? not the 99% or whatever it does now. or... it knocks you to the ground makes you fall over.

What i would really love to see would be to have the effect depend on how bad your leg was hit. a minor hit would be just slow you to 50% speed while a shot to the bone knocks you to the ground.

While i would like it if a shot to the bone kept you from doing anything but crawling the rest of that life im sure most people would hate that so this is something that kinda needs to be sacraficed for gameplay. But the way it is now is just a little too far from realistic for a game thats supposed to be as realistic as possable.

Hmmmm

Well in real life im sure gettin shot in the leg while running would result in you screaming and hittin the floor like a sack of ****

prone would be nice?

Shot in the leg can kill ya, IRL. And that's with a pistol. Rifles shatter bones, man. You ain't probably gonna go fighting on after your femur is shattered, especially when a chunk of bone slashes your femural artery... if the bullet hasn't already. :p

IMO, you should slow down more slowly, since inertia is going to cause your speed to taper, not just act like you hit a wall.

Upvote 0
Shot in the leg can kill ya, IRL. And that's with a pistol. Rifles shatter bones, man. You ain't probably gonna go fighting on after your femur is shattered, especially when a chunk of bone slashes your femural artery... if the bullet hasn't already. :p

Well actually it is possible and common for players to die from getting hit in the leg allready, but its in those rare occurances where you get hit there but it doesn't kill you.

I agree, the character should automatically go prone (or a leap to prone if their running allready) when they get hit in the legs, though it should still have a random change of not happening.

Upvote 0
I have to disagree, I really like this feature. There are too many games where players are happily jumping and running if they got shot, I hate it.

Moving after wound is maybe more realistic, becouse in combat you may not notice few bullet cratches here and there if they are not critical. But when recoil is this huge as in RO and you really don't hit anything in point blank range with SMGs, stopping when wounded is really necessary feature in RO. But you can continue moving with full speed after awhile, so I think wounding penalty isn't so notable in RO.

If you like to make it properly, make it so that with leg hit you get 10-50% speed loss constantly not only temporary, it would be more realistic. And with arm hit your aim is reduced by 10-50%. Body hit your speed is reduced 10-50% and aim is reduced by 10-50%, depending wound severity.

Add bleeding also, you could get wound which is bleeding and your health is constantly dropping until you get first aid threatment, there should be medpacks to stop bleeding.

Example: If you get 10% bleeding wound to your hand, you could keep shooting for a while, but aiming would be slowly decreasing from 10-50%, so you notice when you can't properly aim any longer. But if you healed that wound with first aid pack you got back to 10% decrease in aiming accuracy.

Example2: If you got 50% bleeding wound to your arm, your aim wouldn't be dropping any more than 50%, but it would be bleeding you to death until firstaid is used.

Upvote 0
The trouble is when do you sacrifice game play for realism.

An idea i had was much the same, take out the legs and they hit the floor.
But my idea was making it possible for your team mates to pick you up over his shoulder and move you to a safe area.
Now the fun part is that if it was a sniper who shot his legs. when his buddy comes to help he gets one in the head. two for the price of one.

A "casualty" system is a good idea, but without medics it will get annoying real quick

Upvote 0
Honestly, while it isn't realistic, I think the current system works just fine.

There's a lot of stuff that can't/won't be modeled due to engine limitations, practical limitations (IE: the engine could do it, but your computer would slow to a crawl), or the simple fact that video games cannot emulate human anatomy very well.

Getting shot in the leg could do any number of things to a person depending on the angle of the shot, type of round used, location of the hit, etc. Trying to model one realistic version of this (IE: the "shattered femur" approach) woudl leave people saying "But you didn't do what happens if you just get hit on the OUTSIDE of your thigh when you can still move! And what about slowly bleeding out but still being able to fire back? And what about Scarecrow's brain??"

So, better to leave it as is and accept that some things aren't going to be realistic. It'd be great if you could realistically model human anatomy down to fine details, along with penetration and an elaborate physics model detailing how a bullet would travel if it hit at any given angle in the human body, including consistency of internal organs, bone, and the bullet itself. Likewise, it'd be great if we could model all manner of movement abilities to operate intelligently and without our having to use a billion keys to execute proper bayonet stabs, rifle movement, crawling, running, dodging, etc.

But that's probably not gonna happen, and no matter what, some things ARE going to be abstracted, even in a game like RO. Remember, it's not the real world, and it's not even a sim. It's just a more realistic action game.

Upvote 0
You know, Solo4114 made me think of another good point, Tripwire did describe that when your characters body parts turn red it is because you were lightly grazed by the shot instead of seriously hit, because a serious hit would have killed you or just made you combat inneffective. (which is also dead in RO). If you look at it that way, having your character drop to the ground each time their hit in the legs might be a little excessive.

Well I still vote for a least a small chance of it happening.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Honestly, while it isn't realistic, I think the current system works just fine.

There's a lot of stuff that can't/won't be modeled due to engine limitations, practical limitations (IE: the engine could do it, but your computer would slow to a crawl), or the simple fact that video games cannot emulate human anatomy very well.

Getting shot in the leg could do any number of things to a person depending on the angle of the shot, type of round used, location of the hit, etc. Trying to model one realistic version of this (IE: the "shattered femur" approach) woudl leave people saying "But you didn't do what happens if you just get hit on the OUTSIDE of your thigh when you can still move! And what about slowly bleeding out but still being able to fire back? And what about Scarecrow's brain??"

So, better to leave it as is and accept that some things aren't going to be realistic. It'd be great if you could realistically model human anatomy down to fine details, along with penetration and an elaborate physics model detailing how a bullet would travel if it hit at any given angle in the human body, including consistency of internal organs, bone, and the bullet itself. Likewise, it'd be great if we could model all manner of movement abilities to operate intelligently and without our having to use a billion keys to execute proper bayonet stabs, rifle movement, crawling, running, dodging, etc.

But that's probably not gonna happen, and no matter what, some things ARE going to be abstracted, even in a game like RO. Remember, it's not the real world, and it's not even a sim. It's just a more realistic action game.

We allready know that current game is playable, but these are only new ideas and suggestions which could be implemented to make game more realistic.

Who is talking about modeling complete human anatomy here? I am describing only simple game parameters change here not modeling human anatomy. What is so difficult with 50% constant loss of speed, that is implemented in Ghost Recon and in Operation Flashpoint you can only crawl if you get shot in leg. Bleeding is quite simple to do also, it only needs one value which is slowly decreasing, it is just like stamina. No need to redone game engine only add some code and change current parameters. I am sure there is allready somekind of hit points system somewhere beneath code.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of falling down when you get shot in the leg, in combination with a "walk slower" penalty for the rest of the game. I also like the "aiming penalty" like someone wrote above. Like, having constant heavy sway or something. That would be a nice wound system.

Until then... don't get shot in the leg, I say. ;)

if you have any type of slow down that lasts a longer period of time or you fall down and cant get up people will just suicide themselves like they did when it was part of the mod.

Also a good point. Which would lead to arguments over which is better for the team -- suiciding and being 100% or fighting on with reduced mobility.

Honestly, I'd love a game that models all sorts of things like round penetration, bullet fragmentation in the body, differences in different types of hits, the effects of a bayonet stab, etc., etc., etc. but they can't really do it realistically at this point, and trying to do so will I think actually be a case of the cure being worse than the disease.

I'd rather have a blatantly abstracted method than a partially-done, partially-satisfying realistic method that still leaves a LOT to be desired and only models one minor aspect of things.

Given the complexity of the human body and modeling it in a video game, I think we're better off with the "wounded = slow" method. It ain't perfect, but it's better than the alternative.

Upvote 0
We allready know that current game is playable, but these are only new ideas and suggestions which could be implemented to make game more realistic.

Who is talking about modeling complete human anatomy here? I am describing only simple game parameters change here not modeling human anatomy. What is so difficult with 50% constant loss of speed, that is implemented in Ghost Recon and in Operation Flashpoint you can only crawl if you get shot in leg. Bleeding is quite simple to do also, it only needs one value which is slowly decreasing, it is just like stamina. No need to redone game engine only add some code and change current parameters. I am sure there is allready somekind of hit points system somewhere beneath code.

Yes, but my point is that if we impelement constant 50% slower, and/or bleeding, there's gonna be complaints of "Why didn't you implement [thing] too?" Plus, as has been pointed out, people will suicide to get out of moving slowly.

What I'm saying is that modeling PARTIAL human anatomy is no different than sticking with the current system. Ok, you get shot and you bleed. But does the bleeding stop or do you die? What if you start moving again? Does the bleeding start again? Can you apply pressure to your own wound? Will there be medics? If there aren't, people will say "That's unrealistic. There were medics in the war. Why aren't they implemented?? I'm starting a petition for medics. Sign here if you love medics, freedom, and brownies."

Or let's say you slow people to 50% for the rest of their life. There'll be just as many complaints that THIS isn't realistic as there are about other things. IE: "In real life, your adrenaline would kick in and you'd just keep moving. I liked the old way better." or "In real life, you wouldn't run around the rest of the map with a bullet in your leg slowing you down. you'd just bleed out and die. Why do we even have this? It ****s and makes the game boring, plus people team wound me in my own spawn."

I can see an argument for a gradual slowdown lasting maybe a few seconds to account for inertia, but honestly, aside from that, I'd say the current system's a decent abstraction of some VERY complex aspects of combat.

I said it before and I'll say it again. I personally think that the absolute hardest thing to accurately model in a game is the humans themselves. Not tank penetration, not mechanical performance of vehicles, not bullet drop or penetration or other ballistic calculations. Just basic human movement and how all the other mechanical stuff would affect it.

People complain about the bayonets, but what's the alternative? Some prefer the old mod approach where a single hit was lethal, but then people complained that you could survive a bayonet attack (true), which led to the current system which is just as complained about, if not more.

People ask for melee combat, but suppose they got the ability to throw a single basic punch. I suspect they'd start asking for more and more abilities like punching, blocking, etc. They'd complain that you should be able to disarm or kill an opponent, but then they'd complain that our avatars aren't supposed to be Bruce Lee so why are they killing me when I get punched? Or, how is it that the enemy's "five fingers of death" are able to knock my weapon from my hand, when I have this big pigsticker on the end of it and I'm stabbing it at him?

Human movement, again, is REALLY complex to model in any realistic fashion. Any attempt by the TW staff, while I really respect their abilities, would be hampered by time and resource commitments, or the limitations of the engine itself. So, why bother doing a half-assed version that ends up satisfying people for maybe a week before they start saying "Wait. This nickel isn't as shiney as I thought. What happened to my old one??? Bring it back!"

Upvote 0
I completely agree. Half-assed versions of reality, this is what all these games are, you really can't change that no matter what you do. But when you add all realism you can, game would be more like simulator not game anymore. I would be gladly playing WWII simulator. So please add medics, add bleeding and all what it takes to make this proper simulator. I haven't seen anykind of infantry simulators yet, Operation Flashpoint was maybe close to it, but I think so is Red Orchestra. There are only too many gamey aspects preventing RO to be full simulator.

When moving bleeding would be increasing, so it would be better if you lay down to ground and wait for medic to stop bleeding. And you really don't need to kill yourself with grenade, just press respawn button to get new soldier or move until bleed to dead. But you could collect more points or medals from still fighting even wounded. Maybe every kill would be counted 2 or 3 points if you are wounded and you could get medals if you manage to capture zones also. You could also play with limited respawns or without any respawns to be more realistic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0