• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Leading weapon

ro2lead.png

It's not consistent because it's not just based on the weapon. If it was purely weapon ballistics, a rifle would be simply point and shoot for anything out to about 75 meters. You'll see that in single player or LAN play.

The problem is that RO2 has a simple networking model that relies on only basic server-side calculations. You not only have to lead for ballistics, you also have to lead for your latency to the server. The latency component of lead is a much larger portion of it, is independent of range and can fluctuate fairly significantly between both the inherent internet instabilities and the delay between the next server process tick. You have to lead by such a large amount that it also requires prediction of the target's motions; they can and usually will change their movement enough that by the time your shot would get to them, your original estimate was no longer valid.

IMO, it's the game's biggest flaw. The networking model heavily distorts gameplay by skewing risks and rewards in ways that should be tactically irrelevant. It's a headache for everyone involved.

Reactions: Tummel
Upvote 0
IMO, it's the game's biggest flaw. The networking model heavily distorts gameplay by skewing risks and rewards in ways that should be tactically irrelevant. It's a headache for everyone involved.

Agreed. The game, as it is designed, encourages run-and-gun tactics too much. Because if you keep running you are most difficult to hit due to network lag, even at the smallest distance, where you would require almost no deflection (e.g. 10cm only in th example abova when firing at 15m).

Maraz

Upvote 0
Agreed. The game, as it is designed, encourages run-and-gun tactics too much. Because if you keep running you are most difficult to hit due to network lag, even at the smallest distance, where you would require almost no deflection (e.g. 10cm only in th example abova when firing at 15m).

Maraz

Well if u play with different pings the whole time , its ofc harder to guess where to aim . But if u play like me on like 4 servers with a stable ping of 80 -100 , then its nearly the same . Im just used to play on such a ping . On servers with 150 ping it feels different and is much harder for me . U need just more time to get used to a ping . I saw ppl with 300 ping andthey could hit u with 99 % accuracy even if u are walking . Its matter of habit . And i rly cant understand why u say that the game encourage run and gun . U checked videos of cod and bf vet playing ro2 ? They all say that Ro2 is def not a run and gun game .They described it as a tactical realistic shooter and also camper and sniper game :D
With have some maps that encourage run and gun .And for me this is only apartment bcs of size of the map . But on all the other maps u cant run and gun like in apartment . But u guys need rly to understand we have different battleground this is Stalingrad . PPl useed to fight for very meter . bayo, grenades and smg were the most used weapons . The amount of grenades used in Stalingrad was the most in compare of the ww 2.

Upvote 0
I'm getting shots on moving targets with ping of ~120.

Its a feel thing. I use the bullet spray ups to correct at the moment, and in my mind for the next time. One MUST make notes of the aiming error in order to get better on the next shot. Sometimes you have to use your intuition "he was 150m away running at right angle, I bet my aim was too close and the bullet went behind him".

Oh, and I led targets in RO for 6 years. Practice and position make perfect.

Upvote 0