• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Laggalaggalagga

Part_No.472G-9

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2006
Hint: Just because you WANT to run a 44+ player server, doesn't mean you CAN! Since the update (thank you TW!!) I've seen more lag that I have in a loooooooong time, I guess because people are pushing the servers beyond what they are designed for. Quit it. Run some tests. I'd prefer a server that runs smooth to a server that lags with an extra 10 or 12 players. FYI.

I havnt seen any of the higher player count servers lag yet. just players there complain about lag. i think it might be client side lag that most are seeing. That and a combo of people playing servers from farther away then normal. americans playing euro servers and euros playing american servers.

Upvote 0
Dunno, If I'm playing Euro server with 150 ping I expect it, but I'm talkin' 60 ping US server and major 1-2 second freeze when I hit fire... And this is NEW. I've played plenty before this update and not run into this. Like I said, maybe not a TW problem, but admins trying to push the servers... ?

I know you have visited our server Part and so do many other Americans so your comments are based upon playing on a server that can handle the numbers correctly.
i think it's a very valid statemant and one which all server Admins need to be aware of.
The fear that some Admins would overstretch their servers was stated by Ramm and myself as a very serious concern very early on as the original testing was being done.
You can do some serious damage to a server by capping the CPU constantly.

Admins need to be cautious and try not to overload the server to the detriment of the players using it just because they want to run 50 players.

Mikes very kind words are appreciated and his east coast US based servers are in fact amongst the few that can handle the load as he was one of the first Admins to contact me for our server spec and he had his servers built to suit TWI's recommended specs for the new player numbers.
Unfortuantely that is costly and Mike is the exception here in being able to actually run 50 players rather than the rule within the community.
Most Admins are doing the best they can with their hardware and to be honest I still think that many are still testing and pushing to see what their servers can acceptably run with regards to player numbers and the increase in bandwitdh that this can also have on a very busy server.

I think we will see servers beginning to settle down as Admins take onboard what their hardware will actually produce and what they can realistically run with regards to increased player numbers.

PS.. We Love you too aesdana...lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dunno, If I'm playing Euro server with 150 ping I expect it, but I'm talkin' 60 ping US server and major 1-2 second freeze when I hit fire... And this is NEW. I've played plenty before this update and not run into this. Like I said, maybe not a TW problem, but admins trying to push the servers... ?

Anybody else use your computer? Have you changed/installed anything new? Clear your java and browser cache, do a defrag and AV scan if you haven't already.

Summer's here. Time for the graphics cards to release the smoke that powers them, making them useless. :(

But yeah, I'm running into some brutal problems online myself.

Upvote 0
When I used to play OFP there was this one server in particular that I believe was overloaded constantly. It was weird because the pings were very good then you get on and the server was just insane lag everytime almost. I'm no expert but it's my suspician that while the server bandwidth was good enough (hence the good pings) the servers CPU wasn't (hence the lag). So I think good pings can be decieving sometimes and doesn't always indicate that the server can handle the load. Probably newbie server owners see that their pings are OK and assume that means no lag.

Upvote 0
The only 50-player server I ever have trouble with is a TWI West Coast server. I get a 60-70 ping from it no problem, but especially on Leningrad and Kryokovo I have BAD connection problems with it. I get dumped off the server usually two or three times with a 'connection failed' message, and things just chug down to a crawl when you get a lot of tracers in the air.

Upvote 0