Lag spikes: Punkbuster fault?

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
  • Weve updated the Tripwire Privacy Notice under our Policies to be clearer about our use of customer information to come in line with the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) rules that come into force today (25th May 2018). The following are highlights of our changes:

We've incorporated the relevant concepts from the GDPR including joining the EU and Swiss Privacy Shield framework. We've added explanations for why and how Tripwire processes customer data and the types of data that we process, as well as information about your data protection rights.

For more information about our privacy practices, please review the new Privacy Policy found here: https://tripwireinteractive.com/#/privacy-notice

S.t.a.l.k.e.r.

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 10, 2009
Burning rubble of Koenigsberg
I've just played on a server (64 slots) runned by a nice admin who is willing to play himself, to chat and to explain server issues to his users.

On that server, everything was fine, except for a few sporadic lag spikes, happening now and then especially on relatively big and intense maps like RedOctober and Pavlov's house.- But then ping times suddenly increased and gameplay was ruined.

The admin rebooted the server and when i rejoined, 20 minutes later, i had a very low ping and something like 55-60 fps -15-20 more than my usual standards.

Well, reading what the admin was writing, those lag spikes are caused by some kind of issue with Punk Buster or between Punk Buster and RO2, not sure about it. Is that the case?

Krobar

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 11, 2011
The sewers of Leningrad.
When in doubt, blame PunkBuster:D

Seriously though it can cause lag. Devs say it doesn't and it's just that the servers can't handle the player count or something.

metziih

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 8, 2011
When in doubt, blame PunkBuster:D

Seriously though it can cause lag. Devs say it doesn't and it's just that the servers can't handle the player count or something.

Well you do realize that devs also said that "Hero weapons will be rare", or that "You can change the character language to native via option menu", or that the game would have "Realistic damage model"?

From my experimentation's, PunkBuster does cause severe FPS drop. (FPS drops from steady 70's into 20's) and increases latency/might cause lag spikes as well. (Which probably would explain some "wtf" kills I have gotten when PB has been on)

Lavalampdrinker

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 30, 2009
I remember, that in ut2004 punkbuster, indeed, caused lag spikes when analyzing for hacks for about a minute after joining a server , middle game and end of the match. Probably there is some kind of bug with pb or is it taking too long to analyze?

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
Ping hikes are the least of my worries. RO2 outright freezes my PC completely, requiring a hard restart, when I play on Punkbuster servers (the majority of them).

Now THAT is game-breaking for me.

Naw its just a lag spike you have to wait it out. :D

Actually that sucks trucknuts.

edit:

@ the lag spike thing, that only started after the beta's re release, I have no idea if the two are interconnected. If anyone gets chance to chat with any server admins in the future who are having htis problem, suggest they monitor CPU usage levels, if they are locked at 100% on the cores being used by the game server it might be a good idea to decrease playercount.

Last edited:

Rumpullpus

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 31, 2011
i get lag spikes on servers even without punkbuster.
PB does increase the ping a little but its usually not by too much.

fobban

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 21, 2011
Have you tried playing on VAC only servers? I only play on VAC only servers so I can't really compare them. They do, however, lag pretty much too when full.

Server browser: 40 ping (regardless of number of players in game)
In game with few people (~16 players): 60-80 ping
In game with full server (32-64 players): 100-150 ping

And the sad thing is that you really notice ping of 100 in this game. I hope they can sort this out somehow.

omniconsumer

Jul 5, 2011
New York City
discord.gg
We have been noticing these lag spikes on our server. People tell us it pings great and runs smooth. However, if it's related, I have noticed lag spikes are not felt altogether but rather by individuals at different times throughout the game. Some lag, some don't.

Does punkbuster stream periodically to each client? Maybe this is causing the spikes?

omniconsumer

Jul 5, 2011
New York City
discord.gg
Well, we lowered PB to low and have noticed fewer complaints of lag spikes from individuals. When people do suffer spikes it seems its client side and not the whole server. Can't really pin point it, but it's not server lag usually.

Plus, the more complex the map, the higher the latency.