• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Lack of mods aside from maps?

Krieg Jaeger

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2009
You look at L4D or TF2, and there are literally hundreds of mods pertaining to skin, sound, modeling and then some.

In KF, a game where modding is supported and encouraged, all I've yet to see are maps.

Why? Is it that difficult, if Neigh impossible to skin characters/weapons? To model them differently? Moreso, is it possible to take a model and skin from a mod for another game (Aforementioned TF2 and L4D) and implement it (with some coding) into this one? If so, it could save a lot of time, if only it could be implemented.

Though I doubt that is the case, considering I can only imagine we would be running around with all the weapons from counterstrike and rainbow six, as well as CoD by this time. Regardless though, why?

You look at L4D or TF2, and there are literally hundreds of mods pertaining to skin, sound, modeling and then some.

In KF, a game where modding is supported and encouraged, all I've yet to see are maps.

Why? Is it that difficult, if Neigh impossible to skin characters/weapons? To model them differently? Moreso, is it possible to take a model and skin from a mod for another game (Aforementioned TF2 and L4D) and implement it (with some coding) into this one? If so, it could save a lot of time, if only it could be implemented.

Though I doubt that is the case, considering I can only imagine we would be running around with all the weapons from counterstrike and rainbow six, as well as CoD by this time. Regardless though, why?

Most of the TF2 mods are pretty shoddy and most of the skinning in Left 4 Dead is along the lines of 'Nude Zoey'. Bottom line is that with this game, folks seem to say 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it...'

Upvote 0
Most of the TF2 mods are pretty shoddy and most of the skinning in Left 4 Dead is along the lines of 'Nude Zoey'. Bottom line is that with this game, folks seem to say 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it...'

That's purely opinion.
I personally think these

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/67459

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/41845

Are pretty damn well done in my opinion. The female pyro pack even includes a modded voice that sounds distinctly female, and I was amazed to find some rather generous breast physics. I had been looking for eye candy, and gotten quite a bit more than I had bargained for, but in a good way.

There was even a mod to replace the "scatter gun" with the Jackhammer shotgun. Which fits rather perfectly. A completely different model and skin with the same properties statistically.

In L4D while of course there will always be a nude mod of any female character in any game, there are plenty of weapon skins, character skins, infected skins, sounds and music. The "mach man" mod and the "Jhonny bravo" sound and skin for the tank are both pretty hilarious.

If I knew how to skin, I imagine it would be simple to add some camo of a color you like and makes more sense (Urban) or perhaps some squad patches, battle damage, or just a different look. Replace the 50. DE with a BFR and the crossbow with a anti tank rifle (you would have to mess with the animation and personally I would up the damage, weight and cost, but still quite similaur).

"If it's not broken, don't fix it" is no excuse for lack of variety and choice. At least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
yes i agree with nanostrike that of course sometghings dont need fixing. but! i do want to see more mods in development for this game, this would lend it self perfectly to a romero conversion, shopping mall, custom models and skins, new weapons for the game, custom player skins ect i also would like to see more user made content other than maps :(

Upvote 0
I got some ideas for character mods!

Citizen: Well.... Just a citizen, fighting his way through hordes of zombies. Good for office based levels, and if story levels come out they would be good for evacuation missions.

Rogue Soldier: Could have a gasmask or something, probably like the guy from (I think) those S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

That is pretty much it. I will edit some more models if I think of any.

Upvote 0
Did you just mention breast physics as an example of quality modding?

I'm interested in mods that create new game play. The rest is cosmetic.

Do you have any idea as to how difficult it is to implement something like that in a game that has nothing supporting it to begin with?

Yes, it's a ****s and giggles thing, and I never said anything less, but to go that far in a mod is pretty impressive.

Upvote 0
@Zynthetic

I'm not at all presuming modding to be simple. I had my own share of attempting to do some skinning back in the day with carmageddon and route 62 (I think it was called that...it was a vehicular combat game with elements that allowed you to fully customize the load out and performance of your chosen vehicle.) and be it a map, skin, model or mutator, these things are often universally un-appreciated. =/

But if you are making these things for recognition, I suggest you take a stab at modern art. Modding is all about game play and entertainment.

@Thrash242

I fail to see how any modifacation to the game, does not qualify as a modifcataion to the game in your eyes. Considering that "mod" is short for "modifacation", which obviously embraces a pretty wide spectrum.
Maps get memorised, optimised, and boring. Skins get seen again, and again, and again. Weapons...well...there could always be more.

I am happy with the current state of things, I'm just saying, why stop now? Why not expand laterally as well?
The only problem is that the unreal engine and tripwire both disagree with skin mods and the like, due to fear of exploitation and/or hacks. Anything created (save for maps, appearently) has to be done so through mutators, of which are client side, and are required to be "white listed" if I read correctly.
So perhaps the reason for a lack of modifications is simply due to the more complex nature of modding things with the unreal engine, and the requirement of a server. Not to mention, not having your hard earned mods when you go to any other server that does not run the mutator.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The majority of those mods are just reskins or sound-swapping. Most of it's client-side, even, with little true modification of anything going on. Not a "mod" in any but the most basic sense of the word.

And the thing is, when someone starts making "Mods" that are limited to adding in female characters with 'realistic breast physics', or nude mods of the female characters (Even worse if there WERE no female characters before said mod made one!) it gets very hard to take mods seriously anymore...

As Killing Floor is a more serious game, I hope they stay away from that crap...

Upvote 0
Given the fact the game has been out only for about one month (or one month and about 20 days), it's not enough for any major mods to come out in the first place. Minor visual or audio modifications are one thing, but you might have to wait for some time before E.G. Total Conversions or such comes out.

it gets very hard to take mods seriously anymore...

Practically any mode that goes to the "omg le pr0n" mode and people are simply standing around and oogling and getting killed all the time (E.G. CSS and le pr0n sprays and someone staring at it for a while and getting killed very soon) is just... ridiculous :D

Upvote 0

Yeah, that's because it's Source, making mods for Source is really simple, you really just need to make the content, and then you stuff it in the appropriate folder and it's automatically enabled clientside (pretty much anyway).
Basically, anyone who can rip a sound, use Photoshop or make a 3D model (or even just rip them) can mod a Source game with minimal knowledge of the game and engine, there is no need for any coding or other special skills, outside of knowing how to create the content itself and naming it appropriately.

KF and the Unreal engine does not work like that at all, all mods are purely serverside, and putting your content ingame requires knowledge of Unreal Script and the codebase and classtree of the game you are modding, you have to make a working mutator that puts your content ingame, it's the only way, and the server must run the mod or it won't be enabled.

This means that the lone modder who knows how to make a new skin, but not much else, can't put the skin ingame, he would have to learn how to code a mutator first, and learn the basics of KF's codebase, it's a lot more work, and not everyone knows how to code, limiting the amount of modders out there that could readilly jump right in there and start making content, it requires a coder, so if you don't know how to code you are not making any KF mods, simple as that.

But on the flipside, it's a much safer system, less vulnerable to various hacks and bots than the Source way of doing things.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a mod where the characters are replaced by nude females with realistic breast physics. I think any real (ie. straight) man would like to see this.

I'm sure it'd be very popular. ;)

Maybe, eh, "real" men would like them, but it's just extremely childish... Seriously. Nude models, pr0n sprays, etc. in video games are for desperate ppl. "wowowooww pixel b00bs!!!! omfgzzz"

Right, by all means..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So? Doesn't mean a lot of people wouldn't enjoy such a mod.

It's still sad that you (desperately) need nude models and pron in a VIDEO GAMES, like a website pron isn't enough for you. Seriously... Are u j*rking off watching pixels while you play the game? Cmon explain.. Am I missing something? What's so fascinating in videogame pixel nudity? Or am I playing KF with 10 year old boys who just found out where babies come from?

Oh cmon plssssss...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What's the point you're trying to make? This is video games we are talking about, video games are entertainment. This would be entertaining for many people.

Have a little insight. Or perhaps you just want to make a mod that you would like to play but no one else? ;)

You are talking about videogame pixel nude entertainment...

Oh hell this is going nowhere.. Whatever, pervs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0