• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Known issues with SDK

nymets1104

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2012
USA
I thought I would start this thread as there a few rather serious issues with the SDK, though different people seem to be having different issues.
  1. Very few people seem to be able to build light unless they disable the lightmass setting (I however can build all levels of light with lightmass)
  2. Some people are crashing when they try to build geometry (but not all)
  3. Anyone who attempts to upload to Steam Workshop through the traditional SDK approach will crash the editor.
  4. Most (maybe all) are unable to uplaod through command line approach such as KF2 as we do not have the WorkshopUserTool.exe in our install
  5. One modder, SGT Joe was able to uplaod to workshop using the SDKFrontEnd.exe GUI program. Most users it seems do not have this in their install
  6. Others have reported a crash when saving, though the map will save it crashes afterwards.
  7. Cannot Use terrain editor in non-3d viewport (brush doesn't appear)
  8. Terrain tool brush will not appear on occassion until restart
  9. Audio is non-existent in PIE
  10. Capturing an objective in PIE will cause a fatal crash (does not happen to everyone)
  11. Objective Team Colors are reversed in PIE (does not happen to everyone)
  12. Applying a Material to a BSP Surface will 99% of the time apply it to a surface behind it.
  13. Attempting to exit while in geometry mode prevents the editor from closing, it reverts back to the geometry window and does the windows dinging sound. Also, cannot select anything or close it.
  14. On occasion attempting to add an actor from the actor classes will not work in a 3d viewport.
  15. M151 Mutt .upk has a tendency to crash for me (no other package does) I have done reinstalls but has persisted through the first version of the SDK to now.
  16. Attempting to import any static mesh into a package will cause a fatal crash, same goes with skeletal meshes. Textures, however, have presented no problems.
  17. Scrolling through content browser may cause random crashes even in list view (possibly due to missing packages
  18. Missing several settings for north/south commander abilities in My Map Info
if anyone is having any other issues, post below and I will update this thread.

Last edited:
13. Attempting to exit while in geometry mode prevents the editor from closing, it reverts back to the geometry window and does the windows dinging sound. Also, cannot select anything or close it.
14. On occasion attempting to add an actor from the actor classes will not work in a 3d viewport.
15. M151 Mutt .upk has a tendency to crash for me (no other package does) I have done reinstalls but has persisted through the first version of the SDK to now.
16. Attempting to import any static mesh into a package will cause a fatal crash, same goes with skeletal meshes. Textures, however, have presented no problems.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great news everybody I was finally able to successfully build and upload a level that ive been working on, but the visibility defaults to

Current visibility: Hidden This item will only be visible to you, admins, and anyone marked as a creator.

and I cannot find any way to make it public because Change Visibility dropdown in OWNER CONTROLS is completely missing :(

Upvote 0
Number one issue, which I suspect related to the keys, is that EVERYONE except alpha testers and free keys have an SDKFrontend, which gives people an ability to upload content to a workshop, while alpha testers clearly cant. There is no other explanation I can give to it. I've commited a few clean installations and yet, I havent had SDKFrontend in my binaries folder, unlike people, who boought the game just recently.

Upvote 0
I've recently started to get into the SDK, and I frequent the default maps the game came with to learn more. So far though I get ugly crashes after opening the same maps too much. I thought autosave caused the issue so I turned it off, but I still get the problem after a few times of opening the map. So far my only solution is to completely delete the Documents\My Games\Rising Storm 2 folder after I start having crashes.

This happens to me on CuChi the most and produces this in the log file:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0