• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Knee mortars landing short

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
There was a post by Gary Oak, pointing out that knee mortars tend to land short compared to what is dialed in (indirect fire mode).

I've noticed this phenomenon too, but it's difficult to know if it's really happening. I get kills closer than I fired, but I thought it could be splash damage. And I'd get visible mortar strikes landing on the objective, when I used Tactical View to range passed the objective. But I figured the objective building might just be a lot bigger than I estimated.

Does anybody else see this?

During the beta, the Type 89's rounds were "randomized", in that a wide spread was introduced in which the round might land along with decreasing the kill radius. I think what may have occurred is that the spread applied to the mortar rounds may have been, conceptually speaking, a full circle instead of a half circle facing away from the mortar-man or a straight line perpendicular to the mortar-man that some might be thinking it is.

Regardless I think this subject requires some clarification. Is the Type 89's current function in indirect-fire mode a bug to some degree or entirely an intentional decision?

Upvote 0
Its easy to know what happens.

The indicator shows the dial range which in turn is based on the weapon being held at 45 degrees.

IF you set up on any slope, then the angle of the weapon will not be 45 degrees and that will decrease the real range of the projectile no matter if less than 45 degrees or more than 45 degrees.

Its not a bug, its a feature :).

Upvote 0
Its easy to know what happens.

The indicator shows the dial range which in turn is based on the weapon being held at 45 degrees.

IF you set up on any slope, then the angle of the weapon will not be 45 degrees and that will decrease the real range of the projectile no matter if less than 45 degrees or more than 45 degrees.

Its not a bug, its a feature :).

Damn you and your physics!

It would be nice to get an indicator to see where the ground is flat. I'll try to check this when on concrete slabs, as I would assume those would be level.

Upvote 0