• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Kite-Down-Challenge

TheMutant

Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2012
Germany
77d37319f1.jpg

Hello fellow community,
welcome to the Kite-Down-Challenge!

So what's the deal? Kite KF-LaCasaMuerta.
Why? Because it seems to be impossible, so I challenge you to prove the opposite!

Everybody is allowed to participate!
Just capture a video of your game and post it down here along with one team member's steam profile link so I know who to gift the DLCs.
Every team has to fulfill the basic rules throughout the whole match. Furthermore, you have to choose one of the special rule sets but keep in mind that the higher the special rule set the more eligible you are to win the DLCs.
This means special rule set I beats II, II beats III and so on. Therefore, the first applicant uploading a special rule set I video will instantly win the challenge!
The winning team will be provided with six DLCs.

Videos can be uploaded from:
16.01.2015 (20:00 CET) - 13.02.2015 (20:00 CET).

And to spice it up even further, here are some prizes to win:
1x Harold Lott Character Pack
1x Ash Harding Character Pack
1x Reggie the Rocker Character Pack
1x Mrs Foster Pack
1x Robot Special Character Pack
1x The Chickenator Pack

783daf1c4d.jpg
30b308557c.jpg
4619d30372.jpg

c6ab27b974.jpg
4bea8d56d0.jpg
5f011e9781.jpg

Here are the basic rules:

• Difficulty: Hell on Earth
  • Game length: Long (Added on 20.02.2015)
  • Playercount: 6 (Players can be replaced during trader time, but it is not recommended to avoid confusion when it comes to gifting)
  • No mutators except for whitelisted ones that do not add/remove guns/monsters or alter/extend vanilla gameplay in any kind. There is a list at the bottom of the post but you can ask if there is one not listed you'd like to use.
  • Has to be kited (which means the route has to include at least 3 rooms and you are not allowed to hold at the same spot for too long).
  • Team has to rather stick together, so everybody can be seen in the video every now and then.
  • Videos have to contain the full match.
  • The scoreboard has to be visible in the video every time at the beginning of a wave (wave 1 included).
  • Willingly using exploits of any kind is prohibited (weapon combos are not considered as exploits, flinch locking and melee locking neither)
  • In order to give a more precise definition of kiting, let's say 3 minutes per spot, while spot is not meant as coordinate but rather the area/room most of the team is (to avoid players getting forth and back all the time).
    However, this value is meant as a guideline, there won't be a banhammer when you exceed this amount sometimes because I don't want to force players to move when the situations doesn't allow it. So try to keep moving when possible and hold if needed. (Added on 22.01.2015)

Special rule sets:

I:

• No welding allowed
  • Max. 2 perks of same type throughout team (trader time excluded)
  • Berserker perk disallowed
  • ZED Guns (MK I and II) disallowed
II:

• ZED Guns (MK I and II) disallowed
  • No welding allowed
III:

IV:

• Max. 3 perks of same type throughout team (trader time excluded)

Allowed Mutators:

• KF Map Vote
  • Pat HP Left
  • Weapon Pickup Message
  • Specimen Kill Messages
  • Chat Status
  • Country Tags
  • Noobfilter/PerkMinimum
  • Damage Popup
  • Realtime Shadows

Last edited:
What is considered camping too long at a spot? Holding a spot for a little bit allowing all the backspawns to catch up and be killed would cause for more erratic front spawns and actually make the challenge quicker and more difficult. Even if the team does rule set 1 and doesn't have any berserkers, continuing to move and just picking off very few zeds at a time just makes kiting way too easy.

Upvote 0
What is considered camping too long at a spot? Holding a spot for a little bit allowing all the backspawns to catch up and be killed would cause for more erratic front spawns and actually make the challenge quicker and more difficult.
Well, it is hard for me to break it down to a ceratin time limit. But the motivation to move forward should obviously be visible (it is called kiting for a reason). Holding on for a short amount of time to catch up is allowed, but hunkering down somewhere not.
Even if the team does rule set 1 and doesn't have any berserkers, continuing to move and just picking off very few zeds at a time just makes kiting way too easy.
Well, give it a try with that formula, maybe you are the one that suceeds it finally. ;)

I could not even kite it solo, tho I do not consider me a skilled player. I am just very curious to see if someone can pull it off and provides an action-packed video for us to watch. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Consider fixing your map before making a challenge based around it.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=378040746
There's no path to the trader and zeds like to get stuck in almost all of the door ways.
Hmm... I don't have the time to track down the concerned navigation points and update the map right now. Not sure if I will ever do that as it has been there like this forever.
If you have a fix for the no trader path let me know, I always thought it was because there is only one trader, but never investigated further as the map is quite small and the arrow still points to the right direction.

+ game length is not mentioned in challenge rules.
Spoiler!
Oh, that's right. I actually don't care about the game length, short sometimes even feels harder. But to make it consistent I will set the game length to long. Thanks for pointing that out!
Every map (unless especially designed for) has some easy ways to be beaten. LaCasaMuerta also has easy camp spots (attic) and more challenging ones (kitchen), that's why I made this a kite challenge because I have yet to see someone beating it. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm... I think setting a total amount of zeds is not that great, as 50 zeds can be killed in seconds or within several minutes, therefore time would be the better choice. But it is hard to set a total limit there as the game is dynamic and random so it really depends on the situation.
But in order to give a more precise definition let's say 3 minutes per spot, while spot is not meant as coordinate but rather the area/room most of the team is (to avoid players getting forth and back all the time).
However, this value is meant as a guideline, there won't be a banhammer when you exceed this amount sometimes because I don't want to force players to move when the situations doesn't allow it. So try to keep moving when possible and hold if needed.

PS: I have updated the OP with this definition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm... I don't have the time to track down the concerned navigation points and update the map right now. Not sure if I will ever do that as it has been there like this forever.
I figured someone who had the time to make a competition would easily have the time to fix a couple of navigation points, my bad.
If you have a fix for the no trader path let me know, I always thought it was because there is only one trader, but never investigated further as the map is quite small and the arrow still points to the right direction.
The fact that there's only one trader definitely isn't the cause for there being no path to the trader - the reason would be more along the lines of a poorly made map. Funnily enough, the arrow doesn't point in the right direction either. When the player stands in front of the trader door, the arrow points up to the floor above quite steeply.

I hope your schedule frees up to address these small issues sometime in the future!

Upvote 0
I figured someone who had the time to make a competition would easily have the time to fix a couple of navigation points, my bad.
It sounds ironical, I know, but I wanted the challenge to start before KF 2 EA rolls in.

The fact that there's only one trader definitely isn't the cause for there being no path to the trader - the reason would be more along the lines of a poorly made map. Funnily enough, the arrow doesn't point in the right direction either. When the player stands in front of the trader door, the arrow points up to the floor above quite steeply.
Please don't call it "poorly made" if you don't have a clue, in fact it is something I did not consider. I had the chance to get to know what the problem is: The wisp navigates to the teleporters (and not to the TraderVolume what I thought), but I made the teleporters as "bSourceOnly" to avoid redundant ReachSpecs. So the wisp cannot find a way to any teleporters, therefore no visual reference to the trader.
But this is not a severe thing, the map is small enough to find the trader at some point.

Furthermore, I play-tested it several times (several hours would be better fitting) in camping games and we had no issues with monsters getting stuck anywhere (except for single scrakes at the balcony entrance). The ladder, for instance, used to be an issue because of the inclining roof, so if it is still a problem I have to rearrage the whole part.

I hope your schedule frees up to address these small issues sometime in the future!
It seems you like that poorly made map. :)
Whatsoever, I have put it on my list. Then I also have the chance to fix that wrong map title some people have problems with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0