• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kinda new to KF2! I have some questions

The support, I always thought, is the most misnamed perk of the bunch. He's certainly NOT a supportive perk. The only thing that truly goes into that role is his capacity to give out one free mag per wave (which is already a great way to make the perk useful !)

No, in my opinion, the support is the perfect balance between a nuker like the Sharp' or Demo and a crowd control perk like the SWAT, Firebug or Commando. Of course, it depends on your weapon of choice (the boomstick is better against mid-to-big zeds while the M4 is better at dispatching multiple smaller ones). But all in all, the support can deal with pretty much anything with little to no hassle. He's also fairly simple to play with... and be effective with. You pretty have to aim and fire ! Every game need a class/perk/character that is not overly complicated. Plus, while not as tanky as the zerk, as he's always up-close and personal, he's also one that often soaks up a lot of damage, which can also help him be an useful part of the team.

As for welding doors... Yeaaaah, I barely see that, if at all. It doesn't help that doors are permanently broken if zeds breach them. Also, camping is not as useful as it used to be in KF1, since the husk can kamikaze and spray fire for example. Zeds are more nimble too in general. So it's really more of a gimmick or a relic of the past.

Upvote 0
Door welding was a much bigger part of the game in KF1, but it still has uses.

As Patros already noted, door trapping with Demos can be a useful strategy if you have a cooperative teammate.

If you have a Medic or Survivalist they can use the door weld as an opportunity to thin incoming hordes of trash zeds with their med nades, which can still poison through a door. [or Commando w/ the 501's med nades]

Reactions: Patros
Upvote 0
I just started playing KF2 again and I have a couple of questions:

• Does anyone weld doors? Is welding doors even a viable strategy? I've only played 13 hours on Easy / Normal so I don't know if it's a thing on Hell on Earth
  • What good is Support if welding doors isn't a thing?
Point 1:
This becomes useful when you have played a map long enough to know which door is worth welding. Because a welded door can take a while to tear down, and with a dedicated welder on the door keeps it up even longer. But the main reason you would weld doors is to use the demo trap with it, this is because of the Support's ability to reweld doors that have been broken, this creates an advantageous loophole of killing zeds without using your ammo. Containtment Station is the primary example of when its best to weld.

Point 2:
The Support without the welder is still really good, you have an increased carry capacity at higher class levels, you have access to some really strong weapons (M4 Combat Shotgun, AA-12, Boomstick) and you are more versatile than you think. As Aleflippy said, you can deal big burst damage you won't see anywhere else with the Doomstick or Boomstick, but can still sweep through hordes to thin them out with the AA-12 or the HZ12 Multi Action. Having 2 Supports on the team is perfectly fine so long as you know your guns.

Upvote 0
(Okay, so now I feel very bad and very dumb for forgetting both the demo's trapping ability and the support who can repair doors... But at least that tells how often I weld doors. Hopefully, you will ignore my first comment and follow the advice of my peers instead ! )

The carry capacity on the support, however, is a bit oversold IMO. I mean... Usually, you won't need it. Or not all of it. Compared to the first game where the boomstick weighted a goddamn meaty 10kg, you can often have two weapons and still be under the 15kg limit you often have with most perks. Plus, as most weapons are effective against everything, you rarely need to have two weapons except maybe for ammo purposes (both in case you run dry, and in case your mag's empty and you need to bring the pain right away ! )

Basically, I would say that you shouldn't under nor overestimate that capability. Feel free to toy with two or even three weapons, but don't feel forced to fill-up your capacity : a somewhat nimble support is good too !

(Plus, I personally always take a boomstick or buckshot as a sidearm, and these are quite light. Perfect with a M4 or AA-12)

Upvote 0
Good advice for a new player right here - don't weld for the sake of welding, especially on higher difficulties. It just creates death traps for teammates lol.
Please, as Support, just don't go welding doors shut willy nilly. Weld a door by your "Stand Your Ground" objective is ok. Welding doors just to weld doors has caused traps to some and gotten them killed. Weld/unweld and repeat for Support Perk Points.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
If you have a Medic or Survivalist they can use the door weld as an opportunity to thin incoming hordes of trash zeds with their med nades, which can still poison through a door. [or Commando w/ the 501's med nades]
Didn't they fix that in the last update?

Also another welding strat; to delay enraged/dangerous zeds when you need some time to heal up. Health is important in this game as every point below 100 makes you slower. Of course movement speed isn't the easiest thing to observe but it can definitely make the difference between keeping your distance from a Scrake's attacks and eating multiple consecutive chainsaw swipes.

Reactions: infntnub
Upvote 0
Didn't they fix that in the last update?

Also another welding strat; to delay enraged/dangerous zeds when you need some time to heal up. Health is important in this game as every point below 100 makes you slower. Of course movement speed isn't the easiest thing to observe but it can definitely make the difference between keeping your distance from a Scrake's attacks and eating multiple consecutive chainsaw swipes.
Wait, they had wanted to "fix" med nades working through doors? Why not fix things that are actually broken... lol.

But yeah, still works without an issue [TWI - please don't touch this]

Upvote 0
I just started playing KF2 again and I have a couple of questions:

• Does anyone weld doors? Is welding doors even a viable strategy? I've only played 13 hours on Easy / Normal so I don't know if it's a thing on Hell on Earth
  • What good is Support if welding doors isn't a thing?
Doors have actual hidden health separated from the seal integrity, which will lead to the destruction of them even if sealed. This means sealing doors can only hold off enemy offensive temporarily, which can give you some direly needed breathing room if done right to win the battle - but not the war.

Upvote 0
Wait, they had wanted to "fix" med nades working through doors? Why not fix things that are actually broken... lol.

But yeah, still works without an issue [TWI - please don't touch this]
Weapons:
  • Fixed an issue with the Seal Squeal dealing damage to ZEDs through walls and closed doors.
  • Fixed an issue with the HMTech-Grenade launcher dealing damage to ZEDs through walls and closed doors.
  • Fixed an issue with the Heal grenade healing players through walls and closed doors.
I was wrong, it wasn't the winter update but the last Halloween update. But if you're still "experiencing" this "bug" feel free to report it. I guess.

Upvote 0