• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Kills/Deaths

Based on the live-from-Tripwire bashcast, the current scoreboard (still beta) according to John Gibson breaks down the players points in different columns. One lists kills, another teamplay points, and their total score (to the right of these) is the sum of both of these points.

I think this works just fine, since the player's total score is a composite of both teamplay and kills. And I find it nice to know how much of my score was kills vs teamplay, which I find lacking in RO since it is all lumped together.

I wouldn't worry about obsession over K/D ratios. If RO2 is anything like RO1, the teamplay points you earn by resupplying machine gunners and capturing objectives greatly outnumber the measly totals you get from killing other players:

1 pt per player killed
5 pts per MG resupply
10 points for capturing

Makes the kills seem pretty insignificant doesn't it?

Upvote 0
Does it make a difference? People who play for kills aren't going to change their playstyle just because of a scoreboard... I'd like kills and deaths displayed not because I enjoy getting kills (who doesn't?), but more as a reference on how well your tactics are working. Makes it a bit easier to tell when you're doing things right, and when you're doing nothing but draining reinforcements.

Reactions: trick
Upvote 0
I'm glad they are showing more detailed stats. KDR is actually pretty significant in maps where reinforcements run out like konigs or baksan. I doubt hiding this information will affect the way most people play. Though there are people in RO currently who will die carelessly just so they can give ammo every 30 seconds and be the top of the scoreboard.

Reactions: VariousNames
Upvote 0
I sure hope they add a serverside option to turn it off. Statistics are fun, although best kept outside the scoreboard. In my experience, it changes how people play the game, even though teamwork actions are rewarded better. Just look at the battlefield franchise, especially Bad company 2.

As always, options and customization are the way to go.

Upvote 0
Does it make a difference? People who play for kills aren't going to change their playstyle just because of a scoreboard... I'd like kills and deaths displayed not because I enjoy getting kills (who doesn't?), but more as a reference on how well your tactics are working. Makes it a bit easier to tell when you're doing things right, and when you're doing nothing but draining reinforcements.

You reinforce actions by awarding them, sniping in BFBC2 and not helping the team and ending up on the top of the scoreboard due to KDR is a reinforcement yes?

IMO Teamwork and winning should be reinforced, people should care more for ground then lives; as was often the situation in stalingrad.

Upvote 0
Really, seeing as public play is much more common than clan matches, K/D should be off by default with an enabling mutator shipped with the game for said matches. (Or even simpler, server-side, just as RG said.)

Amen

I like seeing just which side won and which side lost. It keeps players focused on the big picture.

lol.......do you really think that the number on the screen motivates people any more than the fact that they want to kill a lot of people

Yes it does, and it's the only thing that matters to a lot of people, especially those who will be coming from other games. Without it, they might actually get a clue......

Reactions: trick
Upvote 0