• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mac Killing Floor won't start at all

Okay, so i downloaded killing floow, and am currently supposed to be playing it on a guest pass... I thought I'd give it a try to check it works on my system (standard macbook 13"), and a friend bought it and offered me the pass. I got one game in on singleplayer, just to check it ran, so later on the same day i fire it up to try out the multiplayer.
The icon came up in the dock as always, and the splash screen came up, then disappeared, and the game wouldn't run. I tried a few more times, checked the 'launch options', but that was fine. after a lot of googling, i've found people on PC's who've had this issue, and apparently they overcame it by deleting "killing floor.ini"
I searched, but all i have is "killing floor.int" and a couple of other files that end in .ini, i tried deleting some of these seperately, but it didnt help, so i've replaced them.
But i now have NO idea what to do :(

the error in the log file I think is important is : "Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine' in configuration file"

But i'm no expert, so the whole log file:

Last login: Thu May 20 14:09:07 on console
/Users/Joe/Documents/Steam\ Content/common/killingfloor/Killing\ Floor.app/Contents/MacOS/Killing\ Floor ; exit;
joes-macbook:~ Joe$ /Users/Joe/Documents/Steam\ Content/common/killingfloor/Killing\ Floor.app/Contents/MacOS/Killing\ Floor ; exit;
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; no appID found.
Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.
Either launch the game from Steam, or put the file steam_appid.txt containing the correct appID in your game folder.
Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine' in configuration file

History:

Exiting due to error
logout

[Process completed]

Cheers for ANY help possible. :)

I don't have redorchestra.ini... maybe this could be the problem? but steam hasnt registered it as missing when i've validated the files...
I installed just killing floor on steam, i dont have red orchestra. When i searched for "redorchestra.ini" it came up with "setup.int", so it must have something to do with redorchestra.ini, but this was in the system folder, and was deleted before...

Upvote 0
can you search your computer for killingfloor.ini it should be somewhere its probably just hidden on the mac deleting that file should probably fix the issue.

As engine.engine.gameEngine doesn't exist :p it should be engine.gameengine.

Beside that there is another thing you could try out, open steam go to library right click killingfloor go to properties and click on "set launch options" make sure that its completely empty. And doesn't accidently say engine.engine.gameengine

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is what comes up when i search for "killingfloor"

Not sure what to delete...

And yep, i've checked that, theres definitely nothing under the launch options.. :/
cheers for the help :p

Upvote 0
You shouldn't have a redorchestra.ini file, you don't have red orchestra. In the location I pointed out earlier should be a killingfloor.ini file. Delete it or alternativly the entire system folder at that location and verify cache in steam.

I'll post it again:

Username/library/applicationsupport/killingfloor/system

Upvote 0
ohh i see!
I was in the wrong place, i have another location with Killing floor > system, and it has .int files.
I've found killingfloor.ini, not sure why it didnt come up in spotlight when i searched for it, but i've deleted it, only the Guest Pass has run out now :/
Cheers for the help, i'll have to decide whether i'm going to buy it now, having only played one round on singleplayer :/
Thanks though :)

Upvote 0