• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Killing Floor Server Info

Why only 6 or 7? The nr of players should be up to server admin like in mod. It's not a frickin l4d.

Ah but the thing you dont understand with KF is that 6 players is just fine to fill a map. If you have too many players then it gets very cramped and can become too easy. In 2.5 becasue of bugs makeing some zombies uber hard, 12 players seems to be advarge going up to 20 players. But this amount on a classic map is way too crammpeded. It also makes the waves dragg on like sluge becasue of the mulitplyer. For each person in the game it increses the amount of monsters per wave by so much and when u get to 20 players fighting 470 monsters 20 at a time can dragg on sooo much.

Upvote 0
We're only going to officially support up to 6 players. There are a number of reasons for this. The first is just about gameplay and the scare factor. There is something inherently scary about fighting hordes of specimens with just a few people, that is not scary with a ton of people. For example, try walking around the woods at night by yourself, or with just one or two of your friends. It can be pretty scary. Now do the same thing with about 20 people. Its not longer scary, as your just a mob of people walking around.

The other reason is gameplay balance. We have to make sure the game is fun and balanced for 1-6 people. If we support up to say 20, then we have to make sure the game is fun and balanced for 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ... 18, 19, 20 people. That would take a ton more work and time to do.

With that said, as with all games based off of Unreal tech, the game is highly configurable and modable. So I'm sure if people really want to do some crazy 20 player zombie fighting server admins will be able to find a way to run like that.

Upvote 0
With that said, as with all games based off of Unreal tech, the game is highly configurable and modable. So I'm sure if people really want to do some crazy 20 player zombie fighting server admins will be able to find a way to run like that.

So there will be a chance of custom nunmber of max players? That's would be sweet.

And by more people i don't mean 20. 10 would be enough.
I play this game every day with about 10 people and it is fun and still scary. Half of the people get eaten anyway. And it doesn't get too easy, we usually die in wave 8. It's not too crowded either, because maps are usually quite huge (depends on map of course).

I wish KF game will be hard aswell. Elseway it can get boring if nobody dies.

KF is more like about 'who lives the longest', because it's hard to win. And that's what makes it fun.

Upvote 0
I wish KF game will be hard aswell. Elseway it can get boring if nobody dies.

KF is more like about 'who lives the longest', because it's hard to win. And that's what makes it fun.
It will be... 4 difficulty levels, with the balance set at the second. So the lowest should be good for familiarizing yourself with the game and slaughtering zombies, the second should be a good, solid challenge, the third should be getting damned hard - and the top level is (and always has been) called "Suicidal" for a reason :)

Upvote 0
I agree. It's a lot scarier when you start with 10 people, and quickly into it half the people are dead, than starting with 5. :p

Teams of 10 rarley lose in that way. In the current game large servers just result in spamfests and five people camping one spawnpoint. Earlier today there were so many people going to the shop the corridor was blocked. I personally prefer smaller games where communication is more important and you feel like part of a team.

Upvote 0
haha yeah i was in a game where there where so many people the shop was blocked, and people couldn't get out of the way.

But from what i understand, there will no longer be a shop, but a trader that moves all over the map. ^^ Which is cool.
I hope we get a good map though.. it's really easy to get lost in these maps now since they aren't linear like l4d.

Referring to the mod, of course.

Upvote 0
It will be... 4 difficulty levels, with the balance set at the second. So the lowest should be good for familiarizing yourself with the game and slaughtering zombies, the second should be a good, solid challenge, the third should be getting damned hard - and the top level is (and always has been) called "Suicidal" for a reason :)

That sounds cool, as long as on Normal mode, as well as being a good solid challenge for a team, it's difficult if not impossible if you aren't all working together.

The best thing about KF was the notion that 'if you don't behave as a part of the team... YOU WILL DIE very quickly. This should be the case on Normal Difficulty. It should be a good challenge for a team working together, but a very quick death for anyone who runs off shooting as if they're playing Deathmatch.

The game is supposed to be fairly hard by default, to encourage teamwork and selfless play, like healing others and sharing ammo, and generally creating that 'i'm going to die' horror experience.

Upvote 0