• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor refuses to see my RAM. 2GB=261MB? And kills my FPS accordingly?

Sheepy

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
KF-Shropshire
Killing Floor recently has been reluctant to notice that my PC has 2GB of RAM and insists that I only have 261MB of RAM. The error messages say it, memstat says it and Task Manager says KF uses no more than it. Ever since this has occured, my FPS have been dropping whenever I encounter 15+ Zeds. I am stumped. I am able to play, but the lag is becoming unbearable amongst the hoards.

I have tried resetting my RAM overclock, I have tried deleting the KF .ini and I have tried changing the KF cache from 32MB to 256MB (also further evidence it doesn't read the additional RAM, as it used to be 256MB by default). None of these worked and the problem seems to be getting worse as more of my regular buddies are playing more.

Ever since the first day of enjoying Killing Floor, my FPS has been locked at a solid 75FPS regardless of Zed count (even when I had 70+ Gorefasts on the screen). The hardware isn't lagging behind so it appears.

These are the specs of my PC:
ASUS P7P55D PRO [QPI@3612Mhz]
Intel Core i5 Quad-Core @ 3800Mhz [200x19]
OCZ XTC 2Gb DDR3 PC3-16000 @2000Mhz 8-9-9-27-79 [1Gbx2]
Sapphire Radeon 5850 1Gb GDDR5 1.287vCore @ 870Mhz/1100Mhz

Thanks,
Sheepy.

I was considering that, I'll try that tonight.

Yes, it seems an odd combination at the moment, but there was a time where I had 4Gb of the stuff in a 4x1Gb arrangement, but 2 of the sticks proved faulty, so now I am down to 2Gb. A new kit shall be around by the end of the year nonetheless. I know it's not faulty RAM that's bringing this error to light because it has passed numerous stress tests and what not and has proved 110% reliable along with every other application I've used being able to fill the things.

The error did only start occuring after the update, which I think may be something to do with it. Specifically the update with the MAC10 (excuse me not knowing the version number :rolleyes:) I have deleted and reinstalled twice and the problem keeps re-appearing.

Thanks,
Sheepy.

Upvote 0
If you're certain that it wasn't present before the update I'd suggest you browse to your killingfloor directory in steam/steamapps/common and delete the system directory. Launch KF and it will download these files again. If you uninstalled KF through Steam then it leaves some files there, deleting the system folder will make sure that everything is reset to defaults.

Upvote 0
Okay, I set my virtual memory to 10Gb on my RAID0 drive (1tb, but short striped to 200GB). It ran fine, although the FPS only seems to drop when on Manor, when outside the front door, with zeds on the screen.

My KF just crashed with this error also if this makes any difference.

Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3813 MHz with 255MB RAM
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series (1047)

Ran out of virtual memory. To prevent this condition, you must free up more space on your primary hard disk.

History: FMallocWindows::Malloc <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 00000000 4194304 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 4194304*1 <- TArray<< <- TLazyArray::Load <- FStaticTexture::GetTextureData <- KillingFloorOfficeTextures.Statics.Broken_Wall <- FD3D9Texture::Cache <- FD3D9RenderInterface::CacheTexture <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::HandleCombinedMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetShaderMaterial <- FD3D9RenderInterface::SetMaterial <- FBspDrawList::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-WestLondon.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-WestLondon.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-WestLondon.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- RenderLevel <- KF-WestLondon.myLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FPlayerSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level KF-WestLondon <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
I don't think he's running Win98, but maybe he's using compatibility options, possibly doesn't even know about that. There are no working Win98 drivers for that videocard.

@Sheepy Go into \Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor\system\ and do Rightclick --> Properties on the Killingfloor.exe, look into the compatibility tab.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're right Nekomancer, I'm not running 98. I'm on 7 Ultimate x64.

Removing the compatibility mode seems to have gotten rid of the problem. Cannot think of why on Earth it was on 98, or anything for that matter. I think I recall fixing a GUI controller spawning error with it, but it seems to work fine now. :rolleyes:

Nobody on this forum (apart from Yosh, *hint, beta, hint*) could fathom the facepalms I shall be giving myself over the next few days. Thanks guys for all your' time. :D

Thanks,
Sheepy

Upvote 0