• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing floor loading very slow

How long does your Killing Floor load?

• Total voters

wakafaka

FNG / Fresh Meat
Nov 25, 2021
Hello i thought this is was some bug long ago but it is still happening few years later and i am wondering is it normal.
When the game is started (steam is already opened) it takes 2 minutes for the game to load and in that time i can't press any buttons or it will bug the game window. I know it is a big game(steam kf2 folder is 74Gb) but the average read speed from the SSD is around 60-150 mb/s when the game is loading and the CPU use is around 10-15%.
When the game is started for the second time it loads for 20 seconds.

I would be grateful for someone telling me is this normal or it's something hardware/software related.

My PC is overclocked in stable condition(no crashes/errors,no ram failures etc.)
Licensed Windows 10 Pro with last updates.
Motherboard Asus Prime X370
Ryzen 1700 3.7Ghz 8/16 cores
16 Gb ram 3000mhz 14-14-14-28 with low sub timings (2x8Gb in Dual channel)
SSD NVME Samsung 970 Evo write 2.5Gb/s read 3.5Gb/s working in PCI-E 3.0
Palit GTX1060 6Gb
Internet via Cable 150/150mbps
Everything is being cooled properly with water.And drivers are up to date.

Before I said buy an SSD, I noticed that you have an SSD. Just take care of your computer. my game opens smoothly in less than 1 minute without even seeing the loading screen. If the copper conductors on the SSD cable have turned black, I recommend wiping them with an eraser and cleaning them.

That's it.

Upvote 0
SSD is working good as usual.No errors or anything out of the ordinary.Steam overlay is disabled.
I had -nomovieonstartup in steam launch options.Removing it from start options return the startup movies again and when i skip all of them i get black screen waiting time.
I exclude RAM or CPU bottlenecks.RAM is working at 44 GB/S speeds and CPU when loading is hovering between 10 and 20%.
ssd.jpg

Upvote 0
SSD is working good as usual.No errors or anything out of the ordinary.Steam overlay is disabled.
I had -nomovieonstartup in steam launch options.Removing it from start options return the startup movies again and when i skip all of them i get black screen waiting time.
I exclude RAM or CPU bottlenecks.RAM is working at 44 GB/S speeds and CPU when loading is hovering between 10 and 20%.
View attachment 2336641
Check out the system's startup options and services. Disable the tools that need to be disabled. Do all the necessary cleaning using the Wise Care 365 program.

Report back.

Upvote 0
Hello i thought this is was some bug long ago but it is still happening few years later and i am wondering is it normal.
When the game is started (steam is already opened) it takes 2 minutes for the game to load and in that time i can't press any buttons or it will bug the game window. I know it is a big game(steam kf2 folder is 74Gb) but the average read speed from the SSD is around 60-150 mb/s when the game is loading and the CPU use is around 10-15%. When the game is started for the second time it loads for 20 seconds. I would be grateful for someone telling me is this normal or it's something hardware/software related.
Client-side connection issues may prolong the start up blackscreen. The wait could range from a few minutes up to hours depending on where you live, ISP, router/modem and firewall settings. Before you reinstall anything or download shady third-party software that's supposed to clean the system I'd read these articles:

Upvote 0
Check out the system's startup options and services. Disable the tools that need to be disabled. Do all the necessary cleaning using the Wise Care 365 program.

Report back.
System is being tuned not to turn on unnecessary tools or programs.
Client-side connection issues may prolong the start up blackscreen. The wait could range from a few minutes up to hours depending on where you live, ISP, router/modem and firewall settings. Before you reinstall anything or download shady third-party software that's supposed to clean the system I'd read these articles:
Thanks for the links.I am going to try stuff of the first link that you gave me.
I don't have integrated graphics on the CPU.Everything runs on graphic card only.Based on experience i know the nvidia drivers are **** so i am 90% sure that the problem lies somewhere around nvidia drivers.I don't want to reinstall all the drivers and the game cause redoing the options are pain in the @ss.

Partial FIX: I removed all steam startup commands and the game is now loading better than before.
41 seconds after startup movies appear.Skipping the movies and some black screen wait time takes another 40 seconds.
So i end up around 1 min 22 sec startup time(and i can use my PC during that time) which is way better than the 2 min(before) when i couldn't use my PC when the game was loading.

Upvote 0
Just throwing this out there but the game loads stuff into RAM when you launch it so having less RAM has shown to improve loading time, something I can attest to with my 8gb is that the game will take 1-2 minutes for me whilst my friends with 16-32gb and HDDs have all had much worse loading times, some taking upwards of 5 minutes. Of course you can see why my friends have dropped off playing this game but I digress. I do not know if it would be possible for KF2 to treat your system as if it has less RAM but being able to do so would increase load times.

I'm also currently on pretty crappy internet and can say the black screen before the main menu is at least partially the game doing something over the internet. It takes longer the slower your connection and seems to have gotten slower over the updates/years as well. Probably something to do with item/perk servers as I've gotten all lv0 perks multiple times when the internet freaks out during black screen mode. Doesn't help those servers seem to be iffy in general anyways, judging on the frequency of lv0 complaints on reddit and my own experiences opening up 200+ vault crates at a time(good internet or no).

Upvote 0