• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor in the Press -

The gamestar review was way too harsh, but just because KF started development earlier than L4D's doesn't mean there was no time for its devs to ever look at their direct competition.

The gamestar reviewer simply didn't like the game very much. They always complain about UE2.5's "floaty" movement, something I really don't notice all that much.

Upvote 0
UK PCZONE Magazine Review

UK PCZONE Magazine Review

"The most vital piece of information you could wish to know about Killing Floor is: Is it worth spending money on something you can still get for free? As usual with sort of thing, the answer is yes and no.
While the graphics have been updated from the original UT2004 mod, Steam achievements added to give a sense of progression, and the experience tightened and polished, you're till effectively paying for a free multiplayer shooter, One that also has less to it than the mod. At least for now.
The game itself, if you haven't been made aware of the surprising amount of hype surrounding it, involves fending off increasingly tough hordes of 'specimens' (zombies) before taking on a Patriarch in a boss battle. There are only a handful of official maps to play, although each one is substanstial in size. Variety comes from being able to choose perks for your character, essentially character classes. Being able to level up more than one of the these at a time is a nice touch, although some will take considerably longer to level than others.
As mentioned before, the full game has less to it that the free mod. This is because the mod's community (based at killingfloor.net/forums) has produced lots of maps, and features so its safe to assume that, with the SDK being made availableinstantly, this issue won't be one that has too much bearing in the long term. So we come back to the initial problem - is Killing Floor really worth buying.
If you're going to stick around for the long term and don't mind loading up something that gives you a "hang on, have I just loaded a mod?" feel every time you play, then yes, it's probably worth it. Everyone else will probably be just as happy sticking with Left 4 Dead" - 69/100

Quite a low quality review. Spends more time banging on about the mod history trying to be clever and creating a dilemma for the reader. That said you have to put the score of 69% into perspective. In the same issue they give Arma II 70%, Prototype 70% and Velvet Assasin 71% - all big budget titles so 69% is nothing to be ashamed of even if the review itself was rather amatuer and written by a graduate on an internship.

Upvote 0
... 69/100

Quite a low quality review. Spends more time banging on about the mod history trying to be clever and creating a dilemma for the reader. That said you have to put the score of 69% into perspective. In the same issue they give Arma II 70%, Prototype 70% and Velvet Assasin 71% - all big budget titles so 69% is nothing to be ashamed of even if the review itself was rather amatuer and written by a graduate on an internship.

Yes, certainly went on and on about the mod. Yes, the score isn't bad when put into perspective. But I have a problem with them mentioning the mod was free. It most certainly is not free if you do not own the game (UT2004?) on which it was based. Perhaps they think everyone already owns it and can then just download the mod for free. I don't own it, and neither does my son. But we do own copies of Killing Floor the game. Point is, they are using faulty logic in their review. :D

(PS: YES, I am aware the mod content is free, but not really if you still need to purchase the game on which to play it)

Upvote 0
I think the reviews are mostly in the ballpark. Some of them are lower (and higher) than I'd rate it, but journos tend to either seriously overrate a game, or intentionally underrate it to hedge their bets on being called clueless or whatever.

Here's what I know about KF: After playing most of the FPS out on the market in the last 3 years, KF is one of the few that I have lost 3 hours at a time playing with friends. The ease and fluidity of game play (other than having to watch someone kite for 10 minutes) combined with the gun play has been pretty engrossing. On hard levels, after maybe 7 waves, we're surprised it took 45 minutes. It feels like a lot less than that. That's usually a sign on being in the zone and having fun. L4D sort of hit that mark for me when it first came out, but I didn't lose time in it like I do in KF.

Anyways, engine aside, 75ish percent is a solid rating given how much there actually is to KF. You can't really improve the graphics without making a new game entirely...but KF has a lot of room to grow. And it's score can only improve because of it.

Upvote 0
is that a direct quote? That statement is completely false.

Yeh that statement couldn't contain more horse sh!t even if they got a bigger shovel. Here's the article reproduced without kind permission.

005-1.jpg

Upvote 0