• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor in the Press -

WHY do people think bioshock uses UE 2.5. IT DOESNT.

They are using what is for all intents and purposes, unreal engine 3.0 , and even then, it has been tweaked out to their specifications.

KF == 2k4 engine + bloom.

And incase you dont know what that means, ill help you out.

No normal maps, no bump maps, no displacement maps, no pixel shaders effects like post processing or per pixel lighting, no stencil shadows, no fresnel shaders... All of the stuff that Bioshock has in spades

please learn a little more about engine tech before you open your mouth :)

"BioShock uses a highly modified version of the Unreal Engine 2.5 technology used by previous Irrational Games titles including SWAT 4 and SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate. In an interview at E3 in May 2006, Levine announced that Unreal Engine 3.0 features would also be integrated"

Source: [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioshock[/URL]

SWAT 4 used 2.5 as well, they integrated bump maps and such. Seems they just departed from 2.5 and just kept adding to it and made it their own.

Upvote 0
Seems like IGN forgot to mention this is not full priced game.

Actually, IGN gave Killing Floor a good review. Any, and I mean any Review that says "Well, since it's SO cheap, I'll up it a point or two", is freaking retarded. Price doesn't affect Gameplay at all, so it shouldn't count in the score for the game itself.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? I'm a fan of KF, but everyones complaining about these Reviews, which, for the most part, have been pretty unbiased and very well-written.

I saw nothing horribly wrong with that Review. It stated everything as it was and gave it an honest score. I don't even like IGN, but that Review is good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IGN didn't even talk about the gunplay very much. They never mentioned the ironsights or lack of crosshairs at all. Never talked about the sdk or custom maps. They even titled it "28 Days Later meets L4D" yet barely touched the differences.

I get the feeling, with having mentioned the lack of crosshairs and need for ironsights he would have said it's a bad thing because it's hard to aim. Saying the patriarch is "overpowered" because he cant kill it? I get the feeling he didn't play solo either because patriarchs hp seems to scale with players online right? Meaning on solo it's scaled down to be beatable, yet he clearly says "That brings me to one significant issue, which is that this isn't made for solo gameplay at all. You can't spawn bots to help you.". A game being too hard doesn't make it a bad game. He probably played on normal too.

Upvote 0
Actually, IGN gave Killing Floor a good review. Any, and I mean any Review that says "Well, since it's SO cheap, I'll up it a point or two", is freaking retarded. Price doesn't affect Gameplay at all, so it shouldn't count in the score for the game itself.

What the hell is wrong with you guys? I'm a fan of KF, but everyones complaining about these Reviews, which, for the most part, have been pretty unbiased and very well-written.

I saw nothing horribly wrong with that Review. It stated everything as it was and gave it an honest score. I don't even like IGN, but that Review is good.
Can you read my message again?

WHERE DID I SAY IT GOT LOWER SCORE IT DESERVED?

It's pretty damn important to mention the price in this case. Yeah, it's a 7.5/10 game but it's not like you are paying $50 for it.

Upvote 0
I get the feeling, with having mentioned the lack of crosshairs and need for ironsights he would have said it's a bad thing because it's hard to aim. Saying the patriarch is "overpowered" because he cant kill it? I get the feeling he didn't play solo either because patriarchs hp seems to scale with players online right? Meaning on solo it's scaled down to be beatable, yet he clearly says "That brings me to one significant issue, which is that this isn't made for solo gameplay at all. You can't spawn bots to help you.". A game being too hard doesn't make it a bad game. He probably played on normal too.

Actually, it's a known issue that the Patriarch currently does NOT scale for Solo. Still, he's right. Regardless if it was easy or not, the game is not designed for Solo play. Just like L4D, you can, but it's not going to be nearly as fun.

Ironsights and no Crosshairs aren't really a feature of the game, in my opinion, as they're pretty much standard in alot of games lately.

Upvote 0
Actually, it's a known issue that the Patriarch currently does NOT scale for Solo. Still, he's right. Regardless if it was easy or not, the game is not designed for Solo play. Just like L4D, you can, but it's not going to be nearly as fun.

Ironsights and no Crosshairs aren't really a feature of the game, in my opinion, as they're pretty much standard in alot of games lately.

Milkbride has a point with the standardization of crosshairs. But I must say, no crosshair actually keeps me around on this one... Shows some skill. You know, that stuff exploiters don't have:p

Other than that, IGNs review was pretty weak even though the outlook of it with the rating of 7.5 is good. Definitely wasn't thorough but decent. That guy needs fired...

I'd like to see Gamespots review personally *shrugs*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Milkbride has a point with the standardization of crosshairs. But I must say, no crosshair actually keeps me around on this one... Shows some skill. You know, that stuff exploiters don't have:p

Other than that, IGNs review was pretty weak even though the outlook of it with the rating of 7.5 is good. Definitely wasn't thorough or decent. That guy needs fired...

His review is much more decent and professional than the "Blogging Fan reviews", which give it a 9.5/10 or so. I'm a fanboy of this game, but ugh, I dunno, when I see a good review like IGNs or something, and another fan like me comes along says.

"Your review sucks, it should be 8.5/10!, you didn't even play the game!" ectera, ectera. It disappoints me. I wanted the community to be abit more mature, as RO's is, but I guess it's just a different type of game, different community.

Upvote 0

Other than that, IGNs review was pretty weak even though the outlook of it with the rating of 7.5 is good. Definitely wasn't thorough but decent. That guy needs fired...

gamespot usually reviews harder than IGN

Upvote 0

Was unaware of patriarch scaling. I guess games like counter strike should be rated lower than their 88 metascore, because the offline is bad? But wait, when they made a solo mode cs (condition zero) it only got 65. Counters its own point?

And alot of popular games do still use crosshairs, but with the addition of ironsights for increased aim, or not at all. Point is that from the way he described it, the fact that it was hard to kill a patriarch online, and even harder offline(OMG NO BOTS) then related to the lower rating. I'd hate to imagine if he had played suicidal only.

Upvote 0
Was unaware of patriarch scaling. I guess games like counter strike should be rated lower than their 88 metascore, because the offline is bad? But wait, when they made a solo mode cs (condition zero) it only got 65. Counters its own point?

And alot of popular games do still use crosshairs, but with the addition of ironsights for increased aim, or not at all. Point is that from the way he described it, the fact that it was hard to kill a patriarch online, and even harder offline(OMG NO BOTS) then related to the lower rating. I'd hate to imagine if he had played suicidal only.

You're an idiot. Plain and simple.

It's meant for Online play, that's what I was saying. Like L4D, and CS, you can play offline, but it's not the way it's designed to be played.

The problem is, people thought it would have a story and it didn't. So some people kinda felt jipped. That is all. :p

Upvote 0
"BioShock uses a highly modified version of the Unreal Engine 2.5 technology used by previous Irrational Games titles including SWAT 4 and SWAT 4: The Stetchkov Syndicate. In an interview at E3 in May 2006, Levine announced that Unreal Engine 3.0 features would also be integrated"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioshock[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioshock[/URL]

SWAT 4 used 2.5 as well, they integrated bump maps and such. Seems they just departed from 2.5 and just kept adding to it and made it their own.
Yes, but Irrational Games didn't continue using Unreal Engine 2.5, they actually licensed Unreal Engine 3.0.
The wikipedia entry seems very outdated.

SWAT 4 uses a revised Vengeance engine, which is Unreal Engine 2.5 with bumpmapping and Havok physics.

Upvote 0