• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF Killing Floor Hangs on Launch & Won't Open

killwill

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 27, 2013
When I click on the game to play it will open the little square title window but then freezes there. Nothing crashes it just hangs indefinitely (left it on last night went to sleep and it was still hanging). Other apps work, in fact, last week KF1 was working perfectly. KF2 continues to work perfectly.

I have 2 gaming PCs: one is an ASUS one is a Dell Alienware.

I opened steam in the ASUS, KF works perfectly on that machine (actually it seems like the ASUS performs better overall than the Alienware, hands down). It's the Alienware that it's not working on (every other game I have works on the Dell; it's just KF1 that doesn't and only since the last week or so).

I have spent the last 2 days researching various ways to fix this, checked out all the usual threads, pages, solutions, etc and nothing has worked.

List of things I did:

-verified game files

-uninstalled game, closed steam, reopened steam, reinstalled game, verified game files (x3)

-tried using the -window mode in set launch, did nothing

-deleted system folder

-deleted killing floor . ini & user . ini

-reverified local files. said there was a file missing & restored it, but it still did not start properly

-shut down and restarted machine several times

The only thing I have not tried is to delete Steam and reinstall that way. Which doesn't make sense to me because it's working on the ASUS.

Any help is appreciated.