• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor BALANCING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysticCleric

Oct 10, 2010
Okay so I'm posting here because I like killing floor. Been playing it for a year now. Lots of fun. All my perks except medic are level 6. I really like the character pack releases and the maps that come out in the updates.

What I hate, is the constant "balancing" that comes out in patches(for any game. Don't fix it if it isn't broken!) Here is my suggestion to end that for killing floor once and for all. Dev's if you read this ever, I encourage, nay challenge you to this. Make your next couple updates turn killing floor into perfection.

Suggestions on how you can do this :

1.) Make M9 Beretta sellable to the trader. Allow for selection of alternatives as the side arm, but exclude the Hand cannons. For obvious reasons. (See below for alternative weapons.)

2.) Make life just a bit easier for the berserker perk, and put a downwards swing/stab for melee weapons on the right mouse click (usually aim). Takes care of the crawler problem any would be berserker might have, over other classes. Also a bit larger selection of weaponry. (See below)

3.) Remove the LAW as a weapon since no one ever uses it due to weight restrictions. Replace it with a RPG7 launcher. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7 as seen there. Not a hard replacement. Also... it weighs considerably less than that giant tub does, so a lesser weight restriction is plausible. (15lbs vs 22lbs) Also, it can do a lot of damage so a LOW ammo count is justifiable.

4.) Guns should do damage based on their real world counter parts. A cross bow shouldn't ever do more damage than a gun, unless in the hands of the Sharp Shooter perk. As it is now, its the most unbalanced weapon in the game.

5.) Weapon attachments. Specifically for certain guns : Flashlight for anything that has a mounting rail.
For Perk levels : Laser Aiming Modules
Level 3 SS : LAM for handguns/scope for m14
Level 3 Commando : LAM For the bullpup/Scar.
Level 3 Support, LAM for the AA12.
Level 3 medic : LAM for the Medic gun.
Level 3 Demo : LAM for the RPG.
Level 3 Berserker : Glow Stick on melee weapons. (for fun)
Level 3 Firebug : Doesn't need a freaking LAM. :p
I understand that might take some revamping of the weapon system, but I think it would be nice. Wouldn't be unbalancing since every class at level 3 gets it. Flashlights are underused and most players just turn the gamma up. Ruins the mood, flashlight adaptability could bring back the creepy mood the game has.
Attachments could be scripted and done through a spreadsheet format. Doing the models for each attachment wouldn't require a lot of changes. "Use x model instead of y model if : Perk = level 3, attachment bought at trader"

6.) The money system doesn't need a revamp at all in my opinion, more so if the attachment system is added to the game. Adds a few extra things for players to buy when they have some scratch to spend. (I.E $150-$200
for an attachment.)

7.) Players joining a new game, instead of being dead, spawn at the next trader, inside, but unable to buy anything until the round is over. Players that die during the round still spawn at the maps start point. (Script to save player status, to avoid exploitation by disconnecting and reconnecting / name changes.) Would make it harder, as new spectators couldn't alarm players to things coming up behind a group.

8.) As far as zombies/specimens go... I think all of them are just fine the way they are. Maybe make fleshpounds on lesser difficulties not as HARD to kill. A few new specimens would be nice to see as well but not necessary. Something that flies maybe? good for open maps. UT2k4 engine supports that feature as well.

9.) All end Tier weapons should do more damage than their previous tier. If damage balancing is a concern, simply up the health/damage resistance for every difficulty level.

10.) HARD-CORE/OUTBREAK Difficulty. Disables Perk bonuses, limits group to picking up ammo boxes over the level, no trader/money. All weapons do 0.35x damage multiplier to make up for the lack of bonuses. Every perk however spawns with their final tier weapons. Specimens do Suicidal DamageX0.20. Final Tier weapons would be subject to perk level. I.E Level 4 wouldn't get level 6 weapon. Point of it is to be Super hard/realistic/impossible.

11.) Option to pick out weapons before starting a game. Limited to Perk Level and appropriate tier restrictions. Never able to select final tier weapons(the best) Prior to a game.

12.) Three or Four Female models would be nice. I'm sure some people from the community wouldn't mind doing some voice acting for it. Could even have a contest?

13.) Sirens, instead of making pipe-bombs/mines disappear, set them off prematurely at half the damage.

NEW ARMORY
Melee:
Sledge Hammer
English Long Sword
Morning star / Medieval Mace
Pistols: (*=non dual)
MK23
FN Five-Seven*(20 round magazine)
P99
Sig 226
Shotguns:
SPAS 12
BENELLI Auto shotgun (7 round magazine)
500 Tactical
SMG's:
Steyr TMP
MP5
Rifles:
M1Garand (Step up from lever action, less ammo than the M14, but higher caliber, no attachments.)
Hunting Rifle (Scoped, Bolt action, Step up from the cross bow, slower than lever action, but same damage range.)
Attachment:M14-Scope w/ 1.2x zoom.
Machine Guns:

ACR-Masada w/ foregrip. (Step up from Scar, 30 round magazine, little higher damage ratio, but not as much ammo.
BREN - Light/heavy Machine gun (Run slow as heck, 30 round mag. Equivalent to RPG in terms of general damage. Low carry ammo, low accuracy, variable to level of perk)
Explosives:

Molotov Cocktails (Firebug)
Poison/Hazardous Gas grenade (Medic, low visibility, dangerous to squad)
Claymore Mine (Demolitions, REMOTE controlled, to offset destructiveness of proximity on pipe bombs, higher tier, a fraction of the damage more than a pipe.)

Killing floor is great as it is, I think everyone here can generally agree on that. Though some new variety to the game would be welcome.

Last edited:
Here is my suggestion to end that for killing floor once and for all. Dev's if you read this ever, I encourage, nay challenge you to this. Make your next couple updates turn killing floor into perfection.
knob off u toss pot

1. That pissant arrogance that you ooze from this post? Not cool. If meant ironically, the irony is lost - no one here knows who you are and we have no idea if you're a snarky joker or a total goober, and people tend to assume the latter or both.

2. I'm not going to tell you to use the search function because unless you're searching for a specific post with some long, rare words the search function is a pile of sweaty balls. But a few days' worth of lurking and looking back a couple pages - hell just paying attention to people talking about this stuff when they play - would have helped you realize that 99% of what you've discussed has been covered before within the past month.

3. Game developers don't get a bunch of capital to buy a magic gun-scanner that takes their ideas and puts them into action in the game. It actually takes work putting together models and coding for things (hint: computers don't automatically translate your common sense expectations about how the world works into any given game world) any new weapon to be added - even if the guys at TWI did what you suggested and threw out the entire balancing/testing stage and copypasta'd whatever they found on world.guns.ru willy-nilly.

What you are suggesting is an enormous amount of work.

4. Some of us would rather play a fun, fair, balanced game than jerk off to Guns And Ammo. The verisimilitude is awesome, the weapons are a joy to use - but they are a means, not an end.

5. One faint praise, though, is that at least you kept it all in one thread unlike some people who've been spamming this forum after the new update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah okay... this is a suggestions/ideas section isn't it? So instead of insulting Ideas that I had, why not post something here you might think would be better instead of calling my ideas stupid. I don't play call of duty. Never touched it.

You don't like the guns I suggested thats fine. Do you have better ones in mind? Some of these suggestions aren't really asking a lot either. Tripwire who knows the UT engine quite well could make quick work of a few of them with no problem.

Just because some of you have been here in the forum longer than I have doesn't mean you need to be condescending. I've played Killing floor since it was a beta in UT 2004. Simply because I'm suggesting something different makes it a fail post?

Reactions: Unit-05
Upvote 0
None of my suggestions are pointless. Do any of you pillocks know what a Bren gun is? You wont see it in any of the new call of duty games. And no, I don't play CoD. I don't like Activision. They were a good company until Vivendi got a hold of them.

If you trolls don't have anything to add or suggest, or give valid reasons why some of these things wouldn't be good for killing floor you can go suck a clot.
This is a perfectly legit post.

Tripwire, the wizards that they are, know the UT engine quite well. A lot of work... no not really. More so some of the first suggestions. A lot of it can be done through scripting.

You don't like the weapon suggestions? Really? I think they fit just fine. Nothing is out of place. I wasn't suggesting laser guns was I? Majority of the character models are military, don't you think they would be using modern weapons? The scar certainly isn't a vintage gun.

I've play KF since it was a beta on UT 2004. I've got a pretty good idea of how the balance works in the game. If Tripwire added some of these things with moderation, and we know they would, it would be just as good addition to the game like any of their other content releases.

So where are your out of the box ideas?

Upvote 0
I actually read the thing in more detail, and it looks like he's suggesting everything possible to make the game easier, like being able to choose a top-tier weapon at the start of a game, making FPs less hard to kill, removing the LAW totally so it can be replaced with an RPG with the same stats to it can weigh less...?

The thing I do like is some kind of female character modelling/voicing contest...

Upvote 0
These are suggestions. No, they aren't intended to make the game easier. Have you tried suicidal with no perks? Its hard. A Hard-core mode where the zombies do more damage, with no perk bonuses you would get rocked.

So some extra guns is a bad idea some how? I don't play Call of Duty, never have. These guns are real, not out of some video game. Aesthetically they would fit. Weapon wise they would make this games arsenal larger than both L4D games. None of them are impractical.

Tripwire knows the UT really well and they could make short work of some of these things and do them well. The fact anyone thinks they couldn't is a rather poor show of faith.

These are out of the box ideas. So if you can't come up with some legit reason why you think they wouldn't work other than the fact you didn't think of them yourselves... find some other thread to troll in.

Upvote 0
Taking a few suggestions way to seriously. How about making better ones instead of bashing them. I'm not saying turn KF into a Death match game. Or into anything else.

Toshi was already looking at a MK23 mod. Some of you other people support some other custom content thats being considered for KF. Some of these aren't that bad. Really.

Upvote 0
When will people stop suggesting the removal of existing weapons to replace them with "cooler" versions?
Just sit back and think about what that entails.
Perhaps you'll find out why it's not gonna happen on your own.
To be fair he did give a practical reason (the weight).

And really some of his suggestions aren't that bad... for instance, the next update should balance everything out, except for a 1350s English hand-and-a-half that is stupidly, ridiculously OP due to some subtle oversight about how its rate of attack and maneuverability interacted with monster behaviour (say an alt attack that reliably pre-empted crawlers and blocked gorefast swings).

It will be called a bastard sword because only a total bastard would use it.

Upvote 0
Machine Guns:
ACR-Masada w/ foregrip. (Step up from Scar, 30 round magazine, little higher damage ratio, but not as much ammo.
BREN - Light/heavy Machine gun (Run slow as heck, 30 round mag. Equivalent to RPG in terms of general damage. Low carry ammo, low accuracy, variable to level of perk)
Explosives:
Molotov Cocktails (Firebug)
Poison/Hazardous Gas grenade (Medic, low visibility, dangerous to squad)
Claymore Mine (Demolitions, REMOTE controlled, to offset destructiveness of proximity on pipe bombs, higher tier, a fraction of the damage more than a pipe.)

Killing floor is great as it is, I think everyone here can generally agree on that. But I would like for just once to play a game that wasn't constantly rebalanced or unbalanced every single patch. Some of this stuff, like an extra tier of weapons, a bit more variety is what it needs. Done right no more balancing will be needed.

Anyone else think so?

The ACR isn't a machine gun, it's an assault rifle.
Now it may be more powerful than the SCAR-H in CoD, but here realism is more prevalent.

SCAR-H (heavy) fires 7.62x51mm NATO, ACR fires 5.56x45mm NATO.
So straight off your suggestion is moot. :eek:

BREN and low accuracy don't go together in a sentence unless that sentence is:

" The BREN doesn't have low accuracy."

The BREN was renowned among soldiers for being too accurate for a MG role; soldiers used worn-out barrels for less accuracy and more spread.
This idea is also invalid :eek:

"Hey Bill, i found some molotovs - SMOKER!"

This comes to mind :eek:

Claymores, with lasers and your team's sign above it?
Sorry but no dice with this one too :eek:

So... overall: NO.

Better luck next time mate :D

Reactions: Olivier
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.