• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2 Summer Opt-In Beta Preview Branch Is Now Available

Vapid;n2319775 said:
Not sure about the 9mm, Eviscerator and Pulverizer nerfs, but everything else looks interesting. I especially like that the medic assault rifle, Stoner LMG and Railgun are more affordable now. That 400 reduction will allow them to be used a round or two earlier, which is a big deal. Also great to see the Microwave Gun being made more viable.

How does the M99 feel? Is it basically like an anti-tank gun? I've always wanted one in KF2 so I am hoping it essentially fills that role, but 40 rounds sounds like too much... especially if it's meant to be stronger than the Railgun.

Looking forward to the patch!

I see a lot of posts calling the 9mm change a nerf, but I see it as a huge buff! It has a lot less ammo, this is true, but the damage is so nice, and much needed (imo). It is great being able to decap clots and kill bloats/husks faster. It is so good now that I sometimes prioritize using it over my primary weapon, when before it was a "last resort" kind of thing fo me. It's even better with perks that add bonuses to it.

M99 does indeed feel like an anti-tank rifle. I haven't found a reason to use the railgun over it yet, but I don't play a lot of sharpshooter so who knows. The only upside I see with the railgun is its lower weight, making it fit into more loadouts. But the extra firepower and ammo from the M99 seem more valuable to me. Not sure how the railgun could be changed to make it more appealing.

Reactions: Hunt3rr
Upvote 0
Agreed, the M9 feels like it got an overall buff in that it is more able to kill trash. Maybe a slightly larger ammo pool - 120 or so - isn't uncalled for, but I like the starter pistol more as it is now.

The M99 and railgun tradeoff does need something to make it more worthwhile for the railgun, but I do not want to see the M99 nerfed into the ground. I also did not like the nerf to the boomstick. I don't see the need. If you're going to up the price of a tier-2, why lessen the damage too? It felt like an amazing weapon before, why change that? The doomstick is good enough to stand on its own, no need to nerf the double barrel too.

Upvote 0
imnrk;n2319893 said:
I see a lot of posts calling the 9mm change a nerf, but I see it as a huge buff! It has a lot less ammo, this is true, but the damage is so nice, and much needed (imo). It is great being able to decap clots and kill bloats/husks faster. It is so good now that I sometimes prioritize using it over my primary weapon, when before it was a "last resort" kind of thing fo me. It's even better with perks that add bonuses to it.

I think you've identified exactly why I feel the change is unnecessary. The 9mm is supposed to be weapon of last resort, and for dispatching trash-tier Zeds before switching back to a perk weapon. It is not supposed to replace your primary pistol, and the fact that it is now perhaps as strong as an M1911 is an issue.

I have no problem with the 9mm having slight tweaks and new upgrades, but doubling its damage and super-nerfing its ammo capacity does not sound like a great idea to me. There are often ammo shortage issues in the higher difficulty levels as it is.

I am curious to see other people's feedback.

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0
The following opinion is on the basis that I accept its beta and things will change. Having said that...

I'm not usually one to complain or moan about new content but I really feel like this update has sucked a lot of the fun out of the game for me. From what I've witnessed so far, players have become massively more selfish (weapon stealing, cash-hording and kill-whoring) to either pay for upgrades or to prestige their perks as quickly as possible to the detriment of the team, which was bad enough before the prestige system. I feel it's now tougher than ever to find a decent team and good people to play with and feel like all this update has done has create the perfect conditions for a poor co-op experience. It's like a 6-player co-op game has turned into 6 single player games which happen to share the same environment.

I'm not particularly bothered about reload cancelling being fixed but the removal of the anytime parrying for the Berserker - without wishing to sound too dramatic - has pretty much spoiled the perk for me. I have little desire to choose Berserker any more, especially combined with the current player-selfishness where the chance of anyone watching your back has been radically reduced.

The Husk Cannon definitely needed to be nerfed but now it's borderline useless. It seems far better to have fully upgraded Spitfires and MAC10 than anything else.

I genuinely feel that after >1,250 hours of KF2, it's now time for me to move on. It's not a rage quit or sulk, I just think that if things aren't radically reworked by general release of this update then this once fun game has perhaps taken itself a little too seriously. An update too far, perhaps?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Balance your ****ing game please. . . it's not in early access any more, although it certainly seems like it.

The current weekly has DAR's which are almost impossible to kill because they can walk around with no heads and only head shots do significant damage. It's hard difficulty but it seems like suicidal. The game is pretty much unplayable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Veny;n2319953 said:
Could we please swap stats of Railgun and M99? Railgun should be the best Sharpy weapon, which is now M99 i am afraid.
It makes no sense to me...why developing high-tech weapon if its power is lower than power of weapon already known to mankind? :D

I think the M99 could benefit from an entire rework... It makes NO SENSE to have two higher-tier weapons with basically the same function. Why not give us a proper Barrett rifle with a 10 rounds mag? It would not only bring players the long-awaited sniper rifle, and it would truly feel different than the Railgun.

And yes, I know that the Barrett is already a ludicrously powerful gun... But we're talking about a RAILGUN. This thing could probably pierce an elephant in two.

Reactions: missing_trigger
Upvote 0
In terms of ammo m9 genuinely sucks now, it was fine as it is. Yeah, the only perks where it shine was gunslinger, sharp, commando and swat so instead of rebalancing, TWI should change m9 so it integrate more with other perks, make some skills work with it(like commando and swat), like medic's stumble or support's penetration.

Some "previously t4"s are straight useless without upgrades. I never really checked numbers, but I'm sure t3 stoner are much worse than most smgs. Microwave should have much distinct difference from flamethrower since it same tier now. Same with railgun and m99. "One has feature that almost nobody uses and other don't" is not enough difference. Medic shotgun is very bad now. Medic is support perk first and foremost, known for nice stumble power, and fire rate helps with that. I loved when med weapons was weak but accurate support weapons. If I want med weapons to be stronger, I use them with other perks. Or even as battle medic, with all left skills, I just throw grenade under myself or teammates and it's enough.

There a suggestion on reddit to give only single upgrade to each weapon and instead of just giving mode damage and weight, give weapon what it really needs. Some weapons would really benefit if become lighter, with reasonable price ofc and without removing damage. It would take a lot of time to balance it out, but I can wait for that, comparing what we have now.

Upvote 0
Chill_it_B;n2319887 said:
Ok, managed to play a bit more of this update, mostly endless, since so I can waste more of my time :D
Some more thoughts (at least I tried to not repeat myself from this comment)

* Endless, SC wave is nerfed a bit too much, would like to get some scrakes back, because now those waves takes less time than casual ones... does not even bother saving ammo or looking for ammo boxes

Would have to disagree, scrake waves much more manageable now, especially if players die.

Upvote 0
I haven't actually played the beta, so feel free to take this with a grain of salt, but here are my impressions so far. I feel like the upgrade system is promising, but there is one major issue I have with it. Some guns should just be more powerful than others, but this new system makes them all a lot more similar. You shouldn't be able to have a T5 AR-15 (or 9mm for that matter) that is better than a T3 Scar. That just feels wrong, aesthetically speaking. A gun that is bigger, heavier, louder, shouldn't be less powerful than the T1 toy that you somehow super powered to T5. In fact, the nerfing of all T4 weapons into T3 is a step too far IMO. I think the T4 should stay T4 in general (with a few exceptions possibly) so that things like the rail gun and RPG are always very powerful rather than starting as mediocre weapons that you have to upgrade to get the power they ought to have. And the lower tiers should only be upgradeable twice, so your T1 can go up to T3 and be quite powerful, but it won't be better than the big guns.

Reactions: Chill_it_B
Upvote 0
I think that making most weapon weaker isnt good idea. It will be good to have an old dmg and upgrade only a little i mean most powerfull weapon will get only few point of dmg not much as other weapons which are really weak, so aa12 and other should have an old dmg but upgrade them will not do much. Other thing is that in my opinion upgrade is too expensive. With this upgrade, 15 kilogram of weight is not enough by upgranding all we must change and some sets of weapon cant be bought becouse players dont have room for it.

Upvote 0
I have some ideas about upgrade system:
1st - How about showing how expensive upgrades will be and how many slots will maxed out weapon take? Example: Stoner 1100 (3700) dosh, 9 (11) weight. Sorry, dont remember exact number of available upgrades and their costs :D
Why this addition? Well, with upgrade system, we can actually fill our inventory without having empty slots. Problem is, it is pretty difficult to remember how many slot each weapon needs when it is maxed.
2nd - We could also upgrade grenades and armor vests.
Grenades would have 2 additional levels, each adding 1 grenade to overall capacity.
Armor vest would have 3 levels, with first one adding 25 to max armor, with second one adding +20% to ammo capacity and with third level adding 2 inventory slots.

Upvote 0
twolfe;n2320033 said:
Would have to disagree, scrake waves much more manageable now, especially if players die.

I did not say it is not manageable, what I meant, it is too manageable and boring now... nerfed.
A bit more scrakes would make this wave more interesting...

But do not get mistaken,
have had fun couple of times finishing ~110 scrakes alone, so I like what they have done and now SC wave doesn't take 1 hour to finish, which is super-great, but it ends too fast :/

Upvote 0
Chill_it_B;n2320152 said:
I did not say it is not manageable, what I meant, it is too manageable and boring now... nerfed.
A bit more scrakes would make this wave more interesting...

But do not get mistaken,
have had fun couple of times finishing ~110 scrakes alone, so I like what they have done and now SC wave doesn't take 1 hour to finish, which is super-great, but it ends too fast :/

With a well coordinated team that is bound to happen. I, personally, did not have your experience during the beta, so far.

Upvote 0
Dear Tripwire Admin or anyone who knows the answer to this question. As of June 12, 2018, can anyone tell me WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PREVIEW AND THE LIVE GAME? Today I opted out of the preview because there are hardly any servers there. When I did so, I noticed that there was only about 135 MBs that I needed to download. When I launched the game, I couldn't tell what was the difference between the two. The only thing that I noticed was that the EDARs seemed to be harder to kill in the one Hell On Earth game that I played. I'm wondering if the EDARs are more overpowered in the live game or not? Please tell me the difference between the preview and the live game?

UPDATE: Found a satisfactory answer to my question. On June 12th the game went live. I suppose the beta preview will be history soon until the next update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0