• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2 Potential Weeklies For The Future - Your Input Requested

What outbreak ideas/types are you most interested in - Choose your top 2

• Era/Themeatic Outbreak - Example Wild West Weapons only (new weapons would not likely be added)

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Perk Roulette - Swap perks/loadout with another player every wave at random

Votes: 35 40.7%
  • Thick Skulls - Zed Heads are invincible, time to learn other takedown methods

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • Time/speed changes based on player movement - Everyone still (zed time) - ramps up w movment

Votes: 23 26.7%
  • VIP Must Survive - One player per wave is chosen as the VIP - zeds will target them more

Votes: 36 41.9%
  • Ladies Night - Stalkers and Sirens are here to make a stand with the matriarch in tow - no commandos

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Friendly Fire - Learn to aim mercs, not only do your weapons damage friendlies, but doubly for you

Votes: 9 10.5%

• Total voters
Weekly:
They Grow Up So Quickly​

Function:
  • A combination of Tiny Terror, Bobblehead, and Beefcake. Zeds start out at baby proportions but grow up as they're injured or hit players.
Reasoning:
  • C'est la vie.
  • How often do you get to shoot a baby? ...legally, I mean.
  • Baby Crawlers!
  • Makes players aim low, which is relatively unusual.
Special Designer Note:
Reward idea: A beanie propeller hat.​

Upvote 0
Weekly: Scavenger Hunt
Function: This is gonna need multiple bullet points
  • All weapons spawn with full ammo, including starting weapons when you spawn
  • All weapon and ammo spawns are active. Higher tier weapons have a higher chance of spawning in later waves, with Tier 1 weapons being phased out entirely on the second half of the game
    • The Medic Pistol will count as a Tier 2 weapon at the halfway point, so as to make healing items more readily available
  • Trader pods are disabled, but you will have 2 minutes and 15 seconds of trader time instead of one. This is to give players more time to forage the map for guns and ammo
  • During Wave 7 and 8, there is a 1% chance for a weightless instakill knife to spawn (Deals 58,275 Freeze damage on Bash, and Light and heavy attacks)

Reasoning: Thinking this would be a nice alternative to the standard gameplay loop of Survival. I recall there being a KF1 mutator where trader pods are disabled completely, though I really don't think it was made with serious play in mind. Meanwhile, I think having a "No Trader" mode reworked as a KF2 weekly could allow for a game mode where players will have to mix and match weapons they may not typically use in the standard survival mode in order to maximize their chances of success.
Funnily enough I was contemplating something much like this, in my interpretation Tier 1 weapons would be laying around on waves 1 & 2, Tier 2's on 3&4, 3's on 5&6 and then 4's on 7 & Boss wave (would've included 5's for Waves 9 and up but believe 4 is sufficient enough). This could also be an interesting variation of Endless but I'd be content with it being a Weekly.

Upvote 0
Weekly: Scavenger Hunt
Function: This is gonna need multiple bullet points
  • All weapons spawn with full ammo, including starting weapons when you spawn
  • All weapon and ammo spawns are active. Higher tier weapons have a higher chance of spawning in later waves, with Tier 1 weapons being phased out entirely on the second half of the game
    • The Medic Pistol will count as a Tier 2 weapon at the halfway point, so as to make healing items more readily available
  • Trader pods are disabled, but you will have 2 minutes and 15 seconds of trader time instead of one. This is to give players more time to forage the map for guns and ammo
  • During Wave 7 and 8, there is a 1% chance for a weightless instakill knife to spawn (Deals 58,275 Freeze damage on Bash, and Light and heavy attacks)

Reasoning: Thinking this would be a nice alternative to the standard gameplay loop of Survival. I recall there being a KF1 mutator where trader pods are disabled completely, though I really don't think it was made with serious play in mind. Meanwhile, I think having a "No Trader" mode reworked as a KF2 weekly could allow for a game mode where players will have to mix and match weapons they may not typically use in the standard survival mode in order to maximize their chances of success.
May I suggest checking out the latest MR: https://forums.tripwireinteractive....erc-report-have-you-tried-kicking-it.2337327/

Upvote 0
Weekly:
More Minions, More Problems​

Function:
  • HoE difficulty
  • The maximum allowable Zed Count on the field increases every wave, with exception of boss wave
  • Boss would be either Hans or Patriarch
  • Boss wave summons more Zeds than usual in between phases
Reasoning:
  • This is more of a classic challenge for those who already do well with HoE or like CD servers
  • The idea is to put more emphasis on specialized perks such as SWAT, who will have more trash Zeds to kill with each wave to justify their position in the lineup rather than just defaulting to stacking heavy hitters like multiple Gunslingers
Special Designer Note:
Might need a bump in ammo boxes? I'm not sure. Ideally this would disable EDARs because they're not much fun.​
This weekly might not be ideal for all maps; I doubt even the best of the best would have an easy time with a map like Lockdown.​

Upvote 0
Name: Wild West London
Description: Gunslingers only with cowboy hats on everyone including zeds. Only weapons are revolvers and lever actions. The reward could be a precious 1858 or .500 magnum skin
reason: it’d be great fun and would be a chill weekly similar to bobble zed.

Throw in a sepia color filter, and a cowboy and saloon wench outfits available to all characters and I'm sold.

Also, why aren't there any official wild west maps?! A jail with ammo drops and Zeds in the jail cells, bodies hanging from the gallows, piles of dosh just visible but unreachable in the bank's vault (unless maybe a microgame allows the demo to blast it open), a saloon with plenty of glass to break, a trader pod in the trader post, a train station with a sniper nest at the water tower (next to a cliff's edge so zeds can spawn above/next to the tower and jump onto the tower so that the Sharp can't be immune) and a train painted with carnival advertisements, plenty of space on main street for some high noon action, balconies balconies balconies, a post office with wanted posters (whose faces would you expect to see?), a covered wagon advertising bogus elixirs to cure your zedism, a chapel led by the esteemed Rev. Alberts, a weapon spawn point next to a rocking chair on a front porch, a gold mine and blacksmith... tumbleweeds...

Gorefast Gulch, we might call it.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
Security Alert.

-In the Horzine installation based maps, the mercs will have to kill all Zeds within a countdown time limit, otherwise the automated security system "wakes up", activating EDARS that attack both zeds and players alike, since the facility security has been compromised.
The system will keep spawning those robots until all Zeds are killed, then all remaining robots will have to be eliminated too for the round to end & the trader pods to open up.
Harder levels = less time available, tougher & more EDARS in variety & numbers to handle, maybe even automated security systems (electric traps, or fire, machine gun nests? booby trapped trader pods?) Maybe this can take place unexpectedly within the game for that extra surprise & chaotic factor.
-All guns apply.
-Sorry, I can't provide any reasoning as to why this would be a good idea, I just throw my idea to the table.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry for not following the format but I have a more general suggestion. Coliseum is a lot of fun and I think the concept could easily be extended to other perks: tweak the wave composition to suit the perk, and give them one or two new (shared) skills that make the gameplay fresh, like Battering Ram does for Zerk. And you can get crazy with it too, like giving Medic a "healing" version of ground fire during Zed Time, or giving Commando Support's full penetration.

Also, whatever you add, can you please consider adding them to Endless? It seems like there's been some resistance to changing Endless since the last somewhat major update (the one that changed the special wave sizes and stuff) and it's a shame. If it's balancing concerns then just make the new tweaks/weeklies wave 25+ to keep things fresh without changing the difficulty for the people who only play Endless to get the achievements or whatever.

Reactions: Aleflippy
Upvote 0
Dunno if a gamemode can override a player's current progression but I imagine this might be a fun one:

Level Down
Goliath today, David tomorrow

Function
-Base difficulty: Suicidal Short
-XP gains are disabled during this weekly. Vault Dosh and item drops are still applicable
-All players are temporarily brought up to Level 25 at the start of the game but lose levels with each passing wave (25/20/15/10/5)
-Wave progression reversed (4/3/2/1/5 instead of 1/2/3/4/5). To compensate for this, this weekly will begin with a 2 minute setup time where players can pick what weapons they start off with (Starting Dosh override of 3750*)
-Bosses will always behave as if you're playing on Normal Difficulty, with their health being reduced appropriately
-All boss minions are replaced with clots, including the King Fleshpound and Matriarch's
-Abomination spawns wiill never spawn. Eaten clots will simply just die

Reasoning
Rather than having players slowly work towards more powerful weapons while being carried by their perk skills early on in the game, I think it'd be worth it to experiment with giving players a powerful start against but slowly become weaker as the game progresses. This could make for a particularly brutal Wave 2 as you'll suddenly not have access to your ZED Time skills, though the difficulty curve should ideally normalize at Wave 3.

*This is based on the price of an M99 AMR + Tier 2 weapon + Medic Pistol + Armor + $400 worth of playroom for ammo

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weekly: Gutbuster
Function:
  • Shortly - Scrakes are the only type of zeds that spawn.
  • Increased spawn rate of ammo boxes.
Reasoning:
  • There is something oddly satisfying in scrake takedowns. I just want to do it the whole game
  • Every perk is more or less capable of dealing with scrakes... at least after reaching certain wave / weapon and / or level.
  • if some perk cannot deal with them at early waves, they can still kite them around the map while their teammates take them down one-by-one, so even makes people to work together and do various strats
  • Makes players to think more about action and reaction, teaches scrake game mechanics closer... e.g, maybe it is not the brightest idea to rage scrake when you do not have ammo or teammates around that might help you
Special Designer Note:
  • Do not make it as nerfed as endless mode scrake wave is (where max zeds is just like 30 and takes 1/3 time of casual wave), but do not make it a scrake overkill as it was in endless mode early days (although, I loved the feeling when there were 150+ Scakes alive and one player still alive)

Upvote 0
Weekly: Rapid Fire Shift
Function: During the weekly outbreak. Time slows down when you are standing still, or speeds up when you move. Outbreak should occur on Hell on Earth difficulty. It is worth saying that time does not stop completely when the players stand still, it just slows down extremely much, like the bullets that the players fired at ZED`s. The slowdown is summed up from the number of players standing still
Reasoning:
Outbreak ZED Time is too easy an outbreak for Hell on Earth difficulty. This outbreak is terribly boring. But with player-specific time shifts, this can be quite interesting. The main thing to remember is that the bullets do not depend on the ZED time rules of any of the perks, and also try not to move the whole team if you want to pause the madness

Icon that could be:
weekly.png
Completion reward:
bd442049974362a78b245feb8c302c4c.png
Cyberpunk Outfit: Teal (the same event set as with the Cyber Revolt event)

Last edited:
Reactions: Brogs
Upvote 0
Outskilled (I am not any good at naming things :D). Competitive outbreak with ladders (each one for every class). Scores are based on the average damage dealt + non-self heals. Ladders should be cleared every day. Player have to get at least 30-th place on any ladder to get the reward.
Simple, yet brings something new to the game - competition.
P.S. almost forgot - only finished (boss gets killed) non-autonomous matches should be counted.

Upvote 0
Voted for 'Thick Skulls' although I wouldn't discount either Perk Roulette or 'Speed Manipulation' with tweaks.

For Perk Roulette I think it would be better to be assigned a random one on spawn/respawn as swapping with people has potential for sabotage if you are given lacklustre weapons OR the loadout of someone who joins late.

Regarding speed modifiers, permanent Zed time is already in so I'd disregard that immediately and suggest a fast mode instead which reverts to normal when you get down to the last 5 or 6.
As for basing it on player movement, again this is prone to 'players' deliberately messing with the team and I'd imagine setting the gamespeed based on 6 (or more) sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I briefly considered one where 'friendly' fire is on but aside from killing those abusing exploits (something I personally would enjoy) I doubt it would get sufficient support from others.

May I suggest one where your dosh counts down when you move, (possibly even between rounds?) - nothing ridiculous but enough to push holding your ground vs kiting which at times can be pretty tedious to spectate.
With regards to a name, hmmm, Penny Pincher (?) although I'm sure a more suitable option exists - I welcome any and all feedback so what do you think people?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if I would vote for any of the options as they are currently described.

Era/Theme: there aren't enough era-specific weapons for each perk to make this worthwhile. The only perks that have Tier 1 weapons appropriate for the Wild West are Slingers and Sharps. The only perks that have T1 weapons for the other eras are... well... none. T2+ weapons would have to be dumbed down to begin any other era/theme.

If minor tweaks to weapons are necessary anyway, then tweaking some re-skinned/remodeled current weapons with tweaked stats would make this outbreak option more feasible. For example, remodeling the Tommy Gun to look like the PPSh suddenly makes it a PPSh. Make the 1894 look like a De Lisle and use the Mac 10 shot SFX and you're all set. Seems easy enough to me, but I used to do web development and am aware that a client's suggestions might be more difficult than how they are imagined.

If I think of this outbreak as similar to Coliseum, where each era/theme is limited to one or two perks, then it makes more sense, but I'm not a huge fan of Coliseum for that exact reason and I still don't see any WW1, WW2, Vietnam, etc era options.

Perk Roulette: swapping? Gotta be very careful with that. I share @Sarcy's concerns. Some troll will invariably drop all their weapons just prior to going into the Boss Round, leaving their teammate to inherit just a gun and knife. Auto-selling weapons prior to perk swaps will help prevent trolls, but I'd still prefer no weapon swaps whatsoever. I'd rather there be complete randomness.

Secondly, changing perks between rounds intrigues me, but needs to come with some form of economic equalization. Demos are notoriously broke after the first wave while level 20 SWATs start, given the appropriate perk skill selections, 375 dosh richer than their friends. Medics can get financially stuck on the SMG. I would like to see any perk change occur immediately at the end of each round so that players can buy/sell weapons prior to the next round. Also, giving every player the average of all dosh earned will give every player a chance to buy appropriate weapons each round.

Thick Skulls: I like this well enough because I agree that a lot of players are too caught up on aiming for the head, but am not sure why we need an outbreak for it. I can choose to not aim for the skull whenever I want. I'm not against it at all; not excited by it either.

Speed Changes: I share @Sarcy's concerns and also question how it would play out in solo play. I might need to try it before judging it. Seems like great practice for Sharps.

Upvote 0
Weekly:
One of these days, Alice.​

Function:
  • if you boop the snoot of a zed, there's a chance that they'll float momentarily
  • how long they float depends on their weight. Small zeds float longer
  • if a zed boops you, you float
Reasoning:
  • relatively easy to develop? Stats/physics for floating and push back already exist.
  • shooting while upside-down and 10 feet up is a new challenge.
Special Designer Note:
this outburst comes with free diet root beer and lactose-free soy naturally-flavored organic vanilla ice cream​

Upvote 0
Weekly:
He Shoots! He Assists!​

Function:
  • One weapon can only do up to 99% damage.
  • A teammate or weapon switch is required to finish off the zed.
Reasoning:
  • promotes team play
  • promotes PRs in the "assists" stat
Special Designer Note:
Reward: an "I'm with stupid" t-shirt to showcase your love of being a team player.​

Upvote 0
Weekly:
Feeling Bloated​

Function:
  • the heavier your arsenal, the slower you move
  • no more sprint
  • weapon upgrades do not add weight?
  • swap out sprint with the ability to barf so that all of those players who instinctively run will pause to reflect on their lunches instead
Reasoning:
  • Promotes becoming proficient and efficient with weapons that you might not ordinarily choose or keep.
  • Fewer weapons in your arsenal means you might choose perk skills that involve having more ammo (ie, promotes changing tactics from what might be the player's norm, helping players to appreciate perk skill nuances).
  • If you don't have a troll on your team, you can always drop a weapon and pick it up later, so devs can go ahead and make a fully-laden player as slow as sludge.
  • Heck, everybody can choose to be as slow as sludge and then fight back-to-back, encouraging cooperative play.
Special Designer Note:
Reward: a foam rubber chest piece that makes a character look buff. Don't leave DAR out. DAR has been trying to get Rae's attention for a while.​

Attachments

• abs.jpg
    abs.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
Weekly:
We Have A Zed On The Inside​

Function:
  • One random player per round is morphed into a random medium zed from VS play.
  • That player is ignored by zeds unless they attack zeds. Attacked zeds will defend themselves.
  • They continuously lose health unless shot by teammates (gotta keep the illusion alive) or vampiric damage to zeds.
Reasoning:
  • Promotes VS play by giving players a chance to get their feet wet in co-op play.
  • Be the target. Be the target. Be the target.
Special Designer Note:
Maybe introduce the ability for a player to play as a Rioter or Gorefiend.​
Reward: a plastic bag with a crudely drawn image of a Fleshpound's face on it. Worn on the head. Try that at home and fool all of your friends!​
Just kidding. Don't do that. You have no friends to fool.​

Upvote 0