• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2 officially announced!

After reading the article I want to tell you a few things. First - congrats on the announce guys!

What I am seeing is that it looks like the game is going back to its roots. It looks dark and horrifying again. I REALLY REALLY REEEAALLY hope so that you will keep it that way and don't go the wacky way like you did with KF1 with all the out of place characters and weapons.

I am hoping you will leave the game hard and challenging for its whole life span, not like KF1. KF1 is piss easy right now even on HoE. Patty is balanced and everything but the rest is walk in the park, let alone that you play with 6 supps or 6 zerks, you are wiping the floor with the specimens.

I hope you revamped the whole enemy spawn system and the game is not a whack-a-mole-with-one-hole simulator anymore.

I hope you completely overhauled the server browser (but thats not that important).

Thats all actually. These are my concerns. I know you will do everything else just fine but I had to say what worries me. Sincerely - your veteran kf player who is playing KF since the first ever released version in moddb and who stopped playing after the announce of the last Xmass event.

edit: P.S. You have my pre order no matter how disappointed I am from KF right now. Just "because", you know. I am staying 'till the bitter end.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hooray! Put almost 300 hours into the first one before I finally killed it last year. The new perk system will hopefully increase that number for the new one - as long as they aren't as ridiculously annoying to increase as the commando was... Improved melee combat will also be much appreciated, and actually changing zed behaviour on higher difficulty is an excellent mechanical idea.

Any word on when this early access is going to be available? Maybe a closed beta for owners of the original? Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Upvote 0
"Killing Floor 2 is coming to Steam Early Access for Windows and Valve's SteamOS."

This is the only part I'm concerned about. There are a lot of success stories on Early Access, and an equal amount of stories about projects crashing and burning.

Thing here is that I can't really see TWI strapped for cash. What's the motive behind releasing KF2 over early access? Is the development timeline that long-term?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To be honest, I'm skeptical this game will be a true sequel to Killing Floor. Looking at the 'gore system' and how the guns look, it seems like there's no plans for anything but assault rifles and melee weapons. The fact that these 3 'pillars' have no space for any class currently in the prequel (apart commando and berserker) means that it won't play at all like each other.

Are "death animations" saying that the zeds are no longer going to ragdoll? That's more of a disappointment than anything.

Reading through the article, this game misses all the core concepts that made Killing Floor such a good game. This quote pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for me:
"Killing Floor is a simple game," says Munk. "You have weapons. You see something that looks messed up. And you kill it. You get money for doing it and you buy better weapons. Rinse and repeat. The more enjoyable that small little loop is, the more successful the game is."

I feel that this is an oversimplification of Killing Floor to the point where it sounds like you're making another iteration of CoD:Zombies, not the sequel of Killing Floor.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I'm skeptical this game will be a true sequel to Killing Floor. Looking at the 'gore system' and how the guns look, it seems like there's no plans for anything but assault rifles and melee weapons. The fact that these 3 'pillars' have no space for any class currently in the prequel (apart commando and berserker) means that it won't play at all like each other.

Are "death animations" saying that the zeds are no longer going to ragdoll? That's more of a disappointment than anything.

Reading through the article, this game misses all the core concepts that made Killing Floor such a good game. This quote pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for me:

I feel that this is an oversimplification of Killing Floor to the point where it sounds like you're making another iteration of CoD:Zombies, not the sequel of Killing Floor.

There are LOTS of weapons other than assault rifles, don't worry.

10 Perks. Including all your old favorites.

Zeds will ragdoll all over the place. Just sometimes with bits missing.

And it isn't a "simplification", don't worry :)

Upvote 0
"Killing Floor 2 is coming to Steam Early Access for Windows and Valve's SteamOS."

This is the only part I'm concerned about. There are a lot of success stories on Early Access, and an equal amount of stories about projects crashing and burning.

Thing here is that I can't really see TWI strapped for cash. What's the motive behind releasing KF2 before the base game is fully completed? Is the development timeline that long-term?

We're doing Early Access because we want to have time to actually incorporate feedback from the fans before the full release. In the past we did betas close to release, but they were so close to the release date there wasn't enough time to incorporate fan feedback until after launch. This time around with Early Access, we'll be able to have a collaborative development taking feedback from the community and incorporating it into the game before its full launch. Early Access isn't out there just as a way for devs to get money to fund their game. It's out there as a way to have a feedback loop with your fans before you set the full game out there for everyone.

Upvote 0
We're doing Early Access because we want to have time to actually incorporate feedback from the fans before the full release. In the past we did betas close to release, but they were so close to the release date there wasn't enough time to incorporate fan feedback until after launch. This time around with Early Access, we'll be able to have a collaborative development taking feedback from the community and incorporating it into the game before its full launch. Early Access isn't out there just as a way for devs to get money to fund their game. It's out there as a way to have a feedback loop with your fans before you set the full game out there for everyone.
I appreciate the response. I feel a little more assured now

Upvote 0

Thing here is that I can't really see TWI strapped for cash. What's the motive behind releasing KF2 before the base game is fully completed? Is the development timeline that long-term?

Think more of a DOTA 2 Early Access, rather than an Earth: Year 2066 Early Access:) The game will be up and functional, properly. As John says, we're learning from previous Beta runs - we want to create a period of time where we can still tweak, refine, make extra cool. Not "ohgodthisissobusted". That would be before our internal Alpha stage. Followed by a Beta stage. Followed by Early Access. Followed by Release.

Upvote 0