• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2 Not Launching

I know there are other posts with this same issue, I'm mainly posting so the devs might see it, or to see that this is a common problem.

I bought the game from Steam, so that may be the root cause of it.

The game does run after I try to launch it (from any source) as I can see it running in the task manager, but the game itself doesn't actually launch, no windows pop up and it doesn't show up on the taskbar or anywhere else. Eventually the game closes on its own yet no error messages display or when I end it. It also says I'm playing it on Steam when I can see it running in the task manager, yet it never actually launches.

My Basic PC Specs:

RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight-core 3.5 hz​

BEFORE YOU ASK:

• I've tried validating the game cache
  • I've tried directly running the KFGame.exe (in admin AND compatibility mode)
  • I've tried installing all the _CommonRedist packages DirectX, DotNet, PhysX, and vcredist (and restarting PC)
  • I've reinstalled the game (many times)
  • My drivers ARE UP TO DATE
  • My OS is UP TO DATE
  • I've tried running Steam in admin/compatibility mode
  • I've disabled and made exclusions for my anti-virus (avast)
  • I've tried deleting other non-essential files from other recommended fixes
  • I've tried tweaking the game settings via the NVIDIA Control Panel
  • I've tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob (while Steam was closed)
  • I've tried sacrificing goats and virgins to the All Mighty Baphomet
  • I've engraved old Norse runes onto my motherboard
  • I've tried to use magnets
  • I've scoured the darkest corners of the Internet in search of the one fix to solve them all... unsuccessfully

Nothing works, or has even brought me up to the main menu still have the same problem..... I would love to hear of fixes I haven't tried yet, or possible other workarounds for this problem.

I've added the DxDiag.txt file, I was going to add my MSinfo, but it wont upload.

Upvote 0
Have you tried running KF2 as Administrator? That did the trick for me.

Go to the KF2 installation directory
"...\Steam\steamapps\common\killingfloor2\Binaries\Win64"
find the file "KFGame.exe" => right click => "Properties" => "Compatibility" => "Run as Administrator".

Now launch the game through steam as usual.

Upvote 0
1) Have you tried running it without the starting videos? There is a setting for that in one of the .ini files, I cannot remember which one though. I could check once I come home.
2) Does it work offline? (Unplug your network cable or disconnect from WLAN) I have heard from several instances, that asymmetrical profile pictures CAN be a problem and when you are offline, the picture does not get loaded.
3) Try removing every USB device but the mouse and keyboard and close all programs you don't need. For me, a plugin from Teamspeak was crashing KF so when I closed Teamspeak it worked.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue as the OP, I have tried a ton of options.

Run as administrator ☒
Reinstall ☒
Verify integrity ☒
Restart computer ☒
Download suggested .dll ☒
Reinstall graphic drivers ☒
Reinstall sound drivers ☒
Reinstall .net framework ☒
Reinstall DirectX ☒
Reinstall C++ Redist ☒
Sacrifice potato to tech gods ☒
Execute gummy bears in name of Chuck Norris ☒

I'm running the following specs

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz

Video Card 1 AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 1750 mhz
Dedicated Memory 2.1 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Video Card 2 AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 1150 mhz
Dedicated Memory 2.1 GB
Total Memory 4.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.0
Vertex Shader Version 5.0

Memory 8 GB

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit

Driver Packaging Version 14.502.1014-150331a1-182333E
Catalyst Version 15.4 Beta
AMD Audio Driver Version 7.12.0.7720

As you can see, all up to date and meets the requirements but won't even attempt to launch the game after clicking play in steam.

My DxDiag.txt is also included.

I hope we can get a fix for this soon...

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    35.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
So I have the same problem - every time I try to get in the game, it crashes after intro videos. I tried all available hotfixes there are, none have worked.

The funniest thing is, I've heard that some people have managed to make the game work with their Steam Offline.

I can second that - I can play the game offline just fine, any settings, 7 waves, no crashes. Nothing, not a single problem.

While online it managed to let me in the menu twice, and everytime it crashed when I've tried to join the server.

I hope this helps.

Specs:
Win 7x64, MSI 1155 B75A | Intel Core i5 3470 | MSI N660Ti-2GD5/OC 2GB | 8GB Ram

P.S
I don't have integrated video card.

Upvote 0
Our biggest problem with this issue is nothing looks wrong from what we can tell on these computers. And we haven't seen it here in the office. We really need to get our hands on one and run it through a debugger and see exactly where things are going wrong.

Do you know if there's anything we can do on our end to try and debug it ourselves? I know sometimes I get the option from some games when I get an error I can try to debug it through Visual Studio, the problem is I don't get error messages for KF2 (I don't know jack about game programming).

Upvote 0
Our biggest problem with this issue is nothing looks wrong from what we can tell on these computers. And we haven't seen it here in the office. We really need to get our hands on one and run it through a debugger and see exactly where things are going wrong.
If there is a way to provide a required feedback, I can help. Simply explain, what do you require.

Upvote 0