• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Kicking and Banning Concerns

If you login as admin there is another easy way to kick people, also useful for kicking/map banning people with custom characters and stuff.

Login as admin, then open scoreboard up with tab (hold tab) then right click the players name should get options to do multiple things including kick-ban
Edit: don't mind mine overlapping a bit, 4k resolution problems =p

View attachment 2335884
I am curious as to how you are able to click on their usernames whilst holding tab. I have only played in the KF2 christmas beta about 3 weeks ago, is this a new feature they've added or do you have a plugin of some sort to do this?

Upvote 0
If you login as admin there is another easy way to kick people, also useful for kicking/map banning people with custom characters and stuff.

Login as admin, then open scoreboard up with tab (hold tab) then right click the players name should get options to do multiple things including kick-ban
Edit: don't mind mine overlapping a bit, 4k resolution problems =p

View attachment 2335884
I can confirm that this works on my system, but not exactly as described . I do have mouse support while pressing tab. With the version of the mutator that I loaded (Steam workshop 1132884083) I have slightly different options on right click. When I choose Kick nothing happens. When I choose Ban it does a kick but doesn't add the player to the ban list. This is a work around that allows me to get these players off my server while in game. The ban can be added later by editing the config files.

*edit Mutator is white listed so server stays ranked. I also use the damage display mutator and have created classes for both so there are tick boxes in the web interface to turn the mutators on and off at will when changing maps.

Upvote 0
I've shut my server down. I have no more interest in work-arounds and third party mods. It's been a long run of hosting a Killing Floor 2 server but now I'm done. I am so discouraged by this whole affair . The consequence to Tripwire is that I won't be making any more dlc purchases .
Amazing the amount of concern TWI is showing for server owners isn't it?

Upvote 0
What I have noticed in the last couple of weeks on all our KF2 servers, more and more asshats coming out of the woodwork to wreak havoc for kicks!
Thanks TWI for punishing untold numbers to stop a few............ shotgun approach if I ever saw one. My only option was to direct all my admins to shut down the server for a bit to clear them out.
Don't care to add mutators, but might be an option later on in order to keep my sanity and our servers populated. Could always copy player, Steam I.Ds and then add them manually to config file............. but I suspect that will not work if the whole system is disabled.

Why I bother to post anything here anymore is beyond me. It's a game that started out great and TWI has slowly, methodically made it a PITA to run, admin and keep up with!

Upvote 0
Thank you for the update. The changes will be appreciated. Can you also add the kick/ban option for in-game so that when an admin is logged in he can execute these commands from the player list (similar to how a kick vote is initiated). The developer console method does not work for players who have special characters in their names. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank You for the update. Sorry to be so terse, but it grinds my gears that for the KF2 servers we pay for and run, we can NOT admin them!
Surely a better approach could have been taken.
Since the kick/ban feature has been disabled, I can not tell you how many times I have had to stop one of our servers just to clear out the AFK-ers and those that do not conform to our server standards. I am not talking about level ability or what class they play, all are welcome. I am talking about keeping our servers CLEAN for all players of all ages. We could also talk about all the goof balls that took advantage of no kick/ban feature to go on servers, including ours, just to wreak havoc and giggle!! And WE, not you Tripwire, are paying for this!!!

Upvote 0
With the work that has gone into finding another approach for the mass autokicking/ griefing that had been going on, we are hopeful that this change will be ready for the spring update. This would mean that the webadmin kick/ ban feature will return with it.
What "work"? All you had to do was make the matchmaker only use official TWI servers. Instead, you punish people that support your game with their own money because you're too lazy to add listen servers by taking away their ability to police their own server for MONTHS. I have zero confidence that you will have a "fix" for this by the spring update. You can't even commit to the date, as you are "hopeful" - which means it could be till after summer. GGWP.

I thought nobody could be worse than EA or WB, but TWI is hands down the worst development house I have ever seen. I will never purchase another product your company is in any way related to.

Reactions: Zakillah and GTR989
Upvote 0
What "work"? All you had to do was make the matchmaker only use official TWI servers. Instead, you punish people that support your game with their own money because you're too lazy to add listen servers by taking away their ability to police their own server for MONTHS. I have zero confidence that you will have a "fix" for this by the spring update. You can't even commit to the date, as you are "hopeful" - which means it could be till after summer. GGWP.

I thought nobody could be worse than EA or WB, but TWI is hands down the worst development house I have ever seen. I will never purchase another product your company is in any way related to.
Answer the question - how do you kick someone from your server who has special characters in their name from the console? What's the matter, don't you know how your own game works?
What you are suggesting would require work as well as there is no system to do such a thing. However we do not want to prevent players from being able to match into community servers entirely. Players do like to matchmake into community servers. That solution would also not address running into a server being moderated to restrictions one may not like on server browser. Especially if they are not posting info about it.

Right now you have to manually IP ban. Check out some guides: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2348233939 , Steam Community :: Guide :: How to ban players since the 8th of December 2020.

Upvote 0