• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KFS-NightShift

Alex_KF

Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006
Howdy y'all

In addition to writing code for story mode, I've been flexing my atrophied mapping muscles by creating a map to go with it. I've called it 'Nightshift' and its going to be a precursor to the specimen outbreak. You play as one of Horzine's security guards on that fateful evening when all hell breaks loose at their London offices / research labs.

My goal is not to be 100% canon here. I've simply taken the original premise and ran with it, re-imagining elements as I go along and adding new ones to the mix. I hope to create a spooky and enjoyable mission which pays homage to the original KF story, without slavishly adhering to it.

To whet your appetites here is a little teaser shot of the exterior of the offices.

Nightshift is being developed for story mode, which is a free-form game mode that allows mappers to create totally custom scenarios in the Killing Floor universe. If you're a mapper who wants to try their hand at making something a little different, maybe you should check it out.

Stay posted! Good things are on the way :)

Last edited:
I am soooo glad to see more attention being given to "Story" based maps. This game type is personally my favorite and anxiously await to see this finalized. Just got through downloading your Story Mode resource to test drive once I can wrap my head around map building with the editor (yes I'm a newb). I love candlesmoke, and the hive series but can only replay them so many times, ready for something "different". Good luck on the project and will watch this thread closely.

Upvote 0
it has been a couple of months since any info or update. Is this project dead? is there an open beta release in the works for testing? is development just taking longer than expected? I'm so curious about how this is going and really want to play it. I'm trying to not be too impatient but my appetite has been whetted and I feel like a ravenous dog waiting for his next meal.

Upvote 0
it has been a couple of months since any info or update. Is this project dead? is there an open beta release in the works for testing? is development just taking longer than expected? I'm so curious about how this is going and really want to play it. I'm trying to not be too impatient but my appetite has been whetted and I feel like a ravenous dog waiting for his next meal.

I've been pretty busy writing code lately so I haven't had much time to dedicate to mapping.

Upvote 0
thanks for the update Alex. It makes perfect sense that you would be adding/finalizing/testing the Story Mode engine first. I myself have been trying out the editor and learned that it is not so easy to get everything working as intended in a timely manner. But nonetheless, I have faith in your project and will try my best to keep my ravenous cravings in check.

P.S. glad to hear that the story map is still in the works. I was starting to get a little worried. :)

Upvote 0
Any updates on this one ? :)
Oh and i find the idea and map realy cool :) and the screenie looks like i thought about horzine but therese only one thing that i dont like cause when i think about horzine i think about a big one and so on a big tower like the citadel in HL2 :'DDD so the towere here is not as i expected it but yeah thats only like i think about it,but i think it will be awesome keep it up !

Upvote 0
Any updates on this one ? :)
Oh and i find the idea and map realy cool :) and the screenie looks like i thought about horzine but therese only one thing that i dont like cause when i think about horzine i think about a big one and so on a big tower like the citadel in HL2 :'DDD so the towere here is not as i expected it but yeah thats only like i think about it,but i think it will be awesome keep it up !

Alex already stated that this story mode map takes place at a London Research Lab, NOT the main headquarters building.

Also, 1 month ago, He stated he was busy with coding right now and couldn't dedicate any time to the map. But currently the map is still in the works, just going to be awhile before Alex can work on it.

Upvote 0