• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF's British idioms explained

i swear your post appeared from nowhere - otherwise i wouldn't have repeated the explaination.

Same here. Anywho, I added that phrase to the original list.

Smeg IS also a brand of electrical goods from Sweden (I think), which lead to much tittering from the English when they started selling in the UK with lines like "keep your food fresh with smeg"!

Just like when they changed Marathon bars to Snickers, we all laughed cos it sounded like knickers!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The most hilarious for me was when they rebranded "Jif" (a cleaning product) to the Euro "Cif"... pronounced "syph". Yes, British shorthand for syphilis. Ah well, you have to love it :)

I loved the name Jif, it had a J in it. Isn't there a brand of lemon juice called Jif, you know, the one that comes in plastic lemons for packaging.

Upvote 0
phaps unilever felt the rebranding was necessary cos some idiots were putting bathroom cleaner on their pancakes.

Unfortunately I can actually believe that people were doing that, probably in Norfolk.

marathons were. I'm afraid I'll have to take your word for it that snickers are.

They're not that different, just a branding change.

On another note, does anyone know what that Kellogg's cereal aimed at athletes was/is called, I used to eat it a few years back but now I can't find it, was really tasty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0