KF's British idioms explained

• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

arramus

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 8, 2009
Residing in Japan
Agreed on the knickers one.

It's in context and synonymous to:

'all mouth and no action'
'all bark and no bite'

or as my uncle would say, 'all mooth 'n' nae fookin truzzers'.

DarkFenix

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 25, 2009
London, England
I have to say I like the fact that a lot of British slang has been used in KF, however I can't stand cockney rhyming slang. Let's face it anyone who actually uses it is automatically a tosser. Could have done without it :p

dogbadger

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 19, 2006
here to kill your monster
I have to say I like the fact that a lot of British slang has been used in KF, however I can't stand cockney rhyming slang. Let's face it anyone who actually uses it is automatically a tosser. Could have done without it :p

i agree, particularly with the new age mockney slang that ppl have made up recently, of which there's quite a lot on the OP's list.
My family's roots are east London and Hammersmith in the inner west but never used rhyming slang - although they had some great sayings and slang phrases.
I was brought up on the South western suburban edge of London - sitcom land - but i'm always amazed by ppl in this area who put on a forced London accent and use/make up crap rhyming slang.

mamoo

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 19, 2009
East Sussex, England
i agree, particularly with the new age mockney slang that ppl have made up recently, of which there's quite a lot on the OP's list... a forced London accent and use/make up crap rhyming slang.

Don't get me wrong, I hate it as much as you do, I only aimed for as complete a list as possible, since the specific origins of each of the phrases probably don't concern your average reader.

playmaker_41

FNG / Fresh Meat
May 3, 2010
Canada
Who do you think you are, bleeding Action Man?: Action Man is a platic figurine sold in Britain, think GI Joe. Except the knowing half of the battle has been replaced with a speedboat and an assaut rifle.

action man is british?!?!?! lol never knew that, saw his cartoon as a kid, i live in canada

Repeller

FNG / Fresh Meat
Apr 20, 2010
If they somehow managed to toss in a strong Irish accent without it seeming unbelievable, I would love tripwire forever.

dogbadger

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 19, 2006
here to kill your monster
If they somehow managed to toss in a strong Irish accent without it seeming unbelievable, I would love tripwire forever.

republic or N.I.?
it would be weird hearing a eire accent from a guy in british army or police uniform, thou there's apparently more ppl from the republic joining the british army than before...not sure about the met