• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF's British idioms explained

Never mind that hairy-toungued mockney prick jamie oliver's recent use of the word, bosh was term for doing a quick manual job, often a relatively low skilled trade such as plastering.
It was used frequently by Harry Enfield's aformentioned 'loadsamoney' character (who was a plasterer, satirizing the the fact that in the booming 80s in Britian, low skilled working class guys were earning amounts of money comparable with that of the 'yuppie' city traders)
Bosch tools are german made tools, the green ones which are cheap and often DIY level but somewhat better than black and decker (the blue ones) but certainly no way as good as Hilti (the red ones)

Scarpa flow is an immense natural harbour of a scottish isle used as a main Royal Navy base during the 2 wars and was the location of the scuttling of Germany's WW1 fleet -
It rhymes with go, and like most cockney slang gets abbreviated to the 1st word.

Reactions: Gartley
Upvote 0
When I hit the Run Away button sometimes they yell either Skarpa, Scarva, or, Skarfa. Something that sounds like that. I am guessing that means flee or maybe is the name of some old mariner or knight who got famous for running from battle? That is my guess.

Scarper is a british slang term. Yes it does mean to flee or escape... although I like your definition better. I'd guess it was a Brit chasing after Paul_Revere before realising he was too late to stop him and "scarpered" away from the charging yanks :)

EDIT: Oh didn't notice this had carried over to another page :p

What mamoo said :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Scarper is a british slang term. Yes it does mean to flee or escape... although I like your definition better. I'd guess it was a Brit chasing after Paul_Revere before realising he was too late to stop him and "scarpered" away from the charging yanks :)

EDIT: Oh didn't notice this had carried over to another page :p

What mamoo said :)

well not really, it is simply rhyming slang for the word 'go'

Scarpa flow is an immense natural harbour of a scottish isle used as a main Royal Navy base during the 2 wars and was the location of the scuttling of Germany's WW1 fleet -
It rhymes with go, and like most cockney slang gets abbreviated to the 1st word.

Upvote 0
No

No

Omfg xD, and they wonder why we Finnish ppl hate Swedish.

>_>

Go to hell! Us Swedes may have some dumbass manufacturing company (smeg), but it is far from being grounds to hate us swedes! I mean come on, we used to be the same country for hundreds and hundreds of years, until those Russians (also descended from the Swedish Rus tribes who colonized after the Slavs moved in). We should be friends, not enemies! We both come from the same ancestry after all. We should hate the soviets if anything for their abuse of the Finns, or perhaps the Danish for their assaults into Swedish/Finnish territory, or even the Karelians, cuz nobody likes em!

Upvote 0
Go to hell! Us Swedes may have some dumbass manufacturing company (smeg), but it is far from being grounds to hate us swedes! I mean come on, we used to be the same country for hundreds and hundreds of years, until those Russians (also descended from the Swedish Rus tribes who colonized after the Slavs moved in). We should be friends, not enemies! We both come from the same ancestry after all. We should hate the soviets if anything for their abuse of the Finns, or perhaps the Danish for their assaults into Swedish/Finnish territory, or even the Karelians, cuz nobody likes em!

I hate you Swedes too, for all the afternoons I've lost in the depths of Ikea...

Upvote 0

Haha aye, its actually more of an stereothype or such that Finnish ppl hate swedish. I do have many good finnish-swedish friends irl and a few "real" swedish friends on steam/xfire.

Upvote 0
Haha great thread brah. I didn't know like 3/4 of those. They're just fun to say on voice chat lol.

You might also want to add "who do you think you are? bleeding action man". Gotta be my favorite insult. I looked it up and apparently action man is like a British GI Joe. Its the bee's knees there I bet lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have to say these are right in my mind

Never mind that hairy-toungued mockney prick jamie oliver's recent use of the word, bosh was term for doing a quick manual job, often a relatively low skilled trade such as plastering.

There’s a crude British idiom – ‘All fur coat and no knickers’ – that we use to describe something that is all style and no substance, something that is superficially impressive but lacking the fundamentals underneath.

Doesnt just mean prostitute or whatever can also be used for such things like 'that politician is all fur coat and no knickers', full of empty promises.

I also had a fun week last year making up my own rhyming/non rhyming slang, it was fun to annoy people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0