• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics KFO-Transit achievement: HoE

icefiresr

Jan 24, 2010
Hi everyone,

I am usually playing with pubs and I would like to ask what is the best tactics to beat the 2 patriarchs in KFO Transit on HoE on wave 11. Killing one is usually enough on it's own on HoE, but two is a bit too much to handle in pub games.

I am only missing some achievements from this Summer Event (the new 20 or something like that) and this HoE objective map is giving me the edge, as I want to have all achievements done, as before this event.

Any suggestions?

tbh, pretty much the same tactics as for one, except that medic-xbow works a bit less well because you can't really keep kiting the Patty if you risk running into the other.

A favoured tactic of mine is to get a buddy demo to set up a stack of pipe bombs, and then stand on them as a zerker. When the Patty comes to punch you, he'll stop on top of them for max damage*. It's surprising just how much damage he takes compared to just running straight over the top of them.

*Don't get shot by the rocket launcher.

Upvote 0
First of all;
*stay close, period. Patriarch starts charging on lone targets, taking minimal damage from pipebomb line. only spread to open fire when you locate him.
*even I think it sucks for welcoming the Patriarchs, my team used the upstairs at Hell, start room with that narrow stairs.
--get away from trader side, 2 Patriarchs will wreck you like speed trains if you insist on staying at those lab rooms. You can be easily cornered upon walls whenever he charges.
*A zerk who can melee lock with a medic near to heal him are really useful. You cannot hold 2 Patriarchs at distance otherwise I believe.
*only throw grenades behind of the Patriarch on his escape path on kneel down (tell that to your teammates, Supports and Demos tend to ruin melee locks with grenades). Him avoiding a grenade tossed at his front, causes melee locker to lose control of the situation and turn to swiss cheese.
*to damage him with pipes, I recommend dropping seperated single pipebombs by the gates of trader side(if you can), lab rooms and stacked pipebombs at narrow stairs before the core. 2 demolitions may come handy, but not necessary. If you have 2 demolitions just avoid overstacking the explosives and your team always should stay close to each other.
*you may use a firebug or fire based weapons to cut down his healing sequences. Remember, he ignores afterburn damage when he's cloaked. When he's busy trying to avoid grenades after kneel down, close in with other team members that would cause him to try healing syringe earlier and take more damage from the afterburn away from your prying eyes.
*you may need a melee locker zerker and a medic to heal him at front behind the stairs. rest of the team should wait by the corner behind, to not trigger his sweeping attack.
--A curious Support may ruin this theory thou, tell the Support to stay the eff back. Supports also tend to ruin the medic &zerk melee lock by sticking their AA12 in the situation like their weak pellet damage would ever helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For Pipebomb usage, he will sustain only a certain amount of damage before he becomes immune, for about 3-5 seconds. in 5 seconds, he can haul *** and pretty much wipe out a good amount of pipes and the team is left will a bigger job to down the Pat. I personally have planted 24 pipebombs on the floor as a demo and he steps/runs on those and takes damage and is still standing. There is a good reason for that.

Pipes - to be effective, need an area to be effective. NEVER weld a door where pipes are, as the pat will fire a rocket and pretty much destroy or make the pipes inert. If there are pipes that wont explode, when the Pat is near them, shoot them with a flare or pistol. AIM for the red light.

Place 4 pipes on each side of a closed door, about a pace two from the door. He will approach the pipes near the door, take damage and either run to heal, or just be ticked off. In that latter case, when he opens the door, that brief delay may be just enough for him to take max damage to the pipes inside the door.

Also, when placing pipes, try to avoid placing them where players are going to peek to see which way he is coming. If a Pat shoots a rocket, those pipes - and the player - are probably going to be gone.

Once the pipes are down, its not over. The common zeds will come in groups and take out those pipes, so its important for the team to protect those pipes, trying to save as many as possible for the Pat. its important to know what combintion of zeds will activate a pipe bomb. You can offset this by placing a single pipe a bit farther out, in the direction you think the Zeds will be coming from.

The Team has to remember that they can buy pipes at the extreme end of cost, or they can throw the demos - no more than 2 in a Team of 6 players - cash to get pipes and scatter them in the area of concentration. No one is going to have the need for cash at the end of the wave, so, give it up. BUT give it up with plenty of time on the clock.

An effective Demo should be able to get 24 pipes down, have armor and one decent weapon to reduce weight. You DONT have to place down all 8 pipes and then run to the trader. I typically place 6 down.... Run to the trader and head off in another direction, place those pipes down. I can place 24 down and have 8 in pocket to replace any area that gets knocked out by a rocket, running Pat or pile of zeds. One more thing - survivability of a demo isn't the greatest, so place those pipes down right after sighting a close Pat.

Stay away from your pipes, because if they explode, the damage/kill radius is quite large.

At the bottom of the page, at the following link is the damage values for pipes vs a Pat(s).

<a href="http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/Help:patriarch_extermination_tactics" target="_blank">http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/Help:Patriarch_extermination_tactics

Last edited:
Upvote 0
solo way

solo way

I believe the best way is to actually do it solo. You play solo (for pats wave), you go demo (lv6), buy 8 pipes.
Then you go to the stairs
(i believe those are the only stairs around, but anyway its the stairs you went down when you entered the last area). You put 4 pipes on one place on the stairs in the middle(classic pipe trap). Then you go further up the stairs and do the same with the other 4 pipes.And you hide
upstairs(so pats wont see you and they walk over the pipes instead of running over them). When pats spawn it goes like this: 1.first pat goes to the first 4 pipes and blows up instatnly,2.same with second pat (all is done before any other zed can get to you or pipes)
If more of you want to do the achievement at the same time, then you can (best done if you got private server):
1.you set the pipes and hide as mentioned before,2. start the final wave with pats but you must be alone=only active player(therefor pats will have endurance for 1 player), 3.now after the pats are spawned but before they die, all your friends must join (so its best done if you got private server and can pause the game
but i suppose if all your friends spectate and join right after the pats spawn, they ll make it in time), 4.pats die as mentioned before, 5.once you get close to the escaping door, your friends should respawn and then all of you get achievement
I did it like this 4-5 times and so far it hasnt failed me

Upvote 0
Does 4 pipes from a lvl 6 demo in one spot on HoE kill a Patriarch when it walks over it?

OR is just on transit? are the pattys in that objective map a little bit weaker than in normal mode becuase there are 2?

I thought they were weaker, from my combats with them, but I'm pretty sure that 4 pipes in one spot will hardly scratch a normal Patty, even with max damage. I find it hard to believe it'd instakill a weakened Patty.

Edit: I stand corrected. A 1man HoE Patty apparently has 7000 HPs, as per the link above, 4 pipes dealing max damage will deal 8520 damage, making it perfectly possible for them to one-shot a normal solo HoE patty, let alone a possibly weakened one.

(A Patty has (very very roughly) 7K HP per player in game, which is why I remember him surviving many pipes without trouble).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Does 4 pipes from a lvl 6 demo in one spot on HoE kill a Patriarch when it walks over it?

No, you'll need six, see below why.

OR is just on transit? are the pattys in that objective map a little bit weaker than in normal mode becuase there are 2?
No, they have the exact same amount of hp just like in a "regular" game. (33250 each, in a 6p game)

Althamus said:
Edit: I stand corrected. A 1man HoE Patty apparently has 7000 HPs, as per the link above, 4 pipes dealing max damage will deal 8520 damage, making it perfectly possible for them to one-shot a normal solo HoE patty, let alone a possibly weakened one.

That's wrong because of the pipe bomb damage scaling for pat. Four pipes deal 5324 damage on pat. You'll need at least six pipes (7311 damage) to kill him instantly and even this will only work, if he walks directly over them.

we just instant killed regular (2/6 players) hoe pat (on filthcross) with 8 pipes. so i suppose regular hoe pat (1/6 players) can be killed with 4 pipes

Looking at the numbers, this can't be true. Even unscaled, eight pipes only deal 12000 of damage. The scaled value of 8848 wouldn't be enough to kill a 2p HOE pat @12250hp.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
for 6p HoE, you want 2 Demos, 4 Support.
Both Demos buy as many pipes as they can, and the M32.
All supports buy AA12. Everyone buys armour.

Demos pipe near the trader, to the left (looking out of trader) underneath the hole in the roof in the rubble. And both doors into the room and the gap between wall near trader and right wall. Everyone then stays behind the wall at trader, being mindful of the small gaps - Patty can see you through them. When Pat hits pipes, everyone mugs him.

Done this on HoE 6p numerous times, both pats die in about 20-30 seconds if the group works cohesively and nobody screws up.

Upvote 0