• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KfDoorMovers unaffected by sunlight and shadows

Prodigy

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
Umbrella Corp. HQ
ok, so this is really weird.
basically, there should be no lights in this barn, because the only light comes from a sunlight actor outside, but yet the KFDoorMovers arent affected by the light, and i cant select surface properties because they are movers!

heres a picture

Textured:
before.jpg

Dynamic Light:
after.jpg

how can i make it so that the DoorMovers arent unlit?

Last edited:
i assume he did rebuild lighting he seems like a smart cat. however this is an engine issue with lighting on static meshes... it really really really sucks because it doesn't build a lightmap for the static meshes so it uses vertex/ambient/baselighting...... so in general it'll light it's self up( the entire thing) to the brightest lightsource touching it. so if you have 2 rooms, 1 is really really bright and the other is pitch black, you put static mesh based doors(kfDoorMover) inbetween em it'll make it's lighting really really bright on both side.

however there are ways to make it look "better"
1. dim down your sunlight and up your ambient light so the lighting on the mesh looks better.
2. set the mesh bSpecialLit to true in the lighting section on it's properties, then add a light right next to the door also with bspeciallit to true and make the light have the same color as the sunlight but might make the brightness a bit dimmer... play around with it.
3. in the level properties in the levelinfo section change your brightness to something along the lines of 0.5-0.8 you'll notice a big change in lighting, then go into the mesh's properties and in the display setting change ambientglow to i dunno.. lets say 10 or more.. play around with it you'll notice when it's just right.
4. get rid of all ambient lighting in your map(i know drastic) and change the ambient glow of all your meshes.. play with it till it's just right. if you still want that ambient feel add another sunlight pointing in the exact opposite direction
but make it a much much dimmer brightness then ur first sunlight and maybe even the same hue and sat or if your light it white(no color just brightness) make it a really pale blue to emmulate real life shaded areas :)
5. if all else fails look it up i'm a noob when it comes to lighting on static meshes and the above have worked for me so far but they may not be efficent or correct...
6. if that doesn't work then either deal with it or remove it lol

Upvote 0
EDIT: Sorry. I overlooked your post.
-----------------------
Movers (and KFDoors) have bStaticLit set to False by default and that's responsible for the sunlight affecting them. Just open their properties, go to Display -> bStaticLit (or StaticLighting. You'll find it) and set it to True. Then rebuild lighting.

They should be lit like regular ol' StaticMeshes then.

Or in short, what ro_sauce said.

Upvote 0