• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF2 Violence & Gore

Dafe

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
This has to still be a hot topic for a lot of gamers, because lets just face it, some games are just more entertaining and engaging with super real, super bloody graphics. Every since I ripped my first head off using Sub-Zero, there always been this guilty pleasure of doing the unthinkable and using video games as that portal. I stole this from a thread I commented on, just because I thought this topic alone would be commentable (is that a word?) enough.

I want to be able to dice the enemies up even more. From hands, arms, legs, cut in half vertically, cut in half horizontally. I want bullets to not just penetrate the enemy I want it to take a chunk off the enemy. I want to be surprised when I blow a hole directly through an enemy as it still continues to attack me with it's guts spilling out. I want to be able shoot each individual tooth out of the flesh pounds face!

ALSO, on a morning thought.....

Not sure if this has been done yet, at least to my description, but it would be cool to have like a "real time" bullet damage on enemies. Real life bullet damage, in real life, lets say a person gets hit with a shotgun blast from the combat shotgun. Pieces will fly, chunks probably, as well as a possible hole depending on how far you are from the blast. That directly needs to go into real time enemy damage in KF, as well as continual damage, meaning shooting the same spot again and actually seeing the hole widen on the enemy, if it wasn't killed from the first blast. This real time bullet damage on enemies would be most prevalent in tougher enemies, as it takes more shots to kill them, so in return they would have more bullet scars before they are defeated. Imagine 3 Supports on a FP, and all 3 unload an AA12 full round clip directly into it, the real time bullet damage would be insane on the FP because so many chunks would be flying off the FP you would literally see it deteriorate in front of you and that is the type of violence/gore and mayhem I want to see in KF2! Imagine the ZED time and watching the deterioration in slow motion! KF-GASM!

Last edited:
A little (lot) extreme, proablbly will get an R rating (or more probably not allowed) in Australia and Germany, a lot of effort for some visual effects (I'd hate to try to code all of that),probably not possible with most engines around ATM, and quite honestly it would be a rather pointless additition. I never really got the whole "Let's make this shooter really bloody and gory!" idea.

@Flux; yep.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only addition that would be appreciated by more than the 10% or so of the KF community would be realistic limb removal, which also effected the Specimens in some way. As I've said before, a bunch of extra red pixels flooding the screen would do nothing for the actual game besides risk making the game slower for somewhat older computers.

Upvote 0
Another KF2 thread. 7th/8th thread? ...and counting.

times are changing. maybe kf will never change or never release a sequel but I feel as though it should, and I will share ideas. Unless TWI directly tells me to stop talking about it because it's just a waste of time, then I will. I know you are tired of it, but there are a good number of players that want a sequel and that is why we are spending this time on the forums so we can give our input. I will try to make this my last post about KF2 but it's a touchy subject, especially in different countries.

Upvote 0
A little (lot) extreme, proablbly will get an R rating (or more probably not allowed) in Australia and Germany, a lot of effort for some visual effects (I'd hate to try to code all of that),probably not possible with most engines around ATM, and quite honestly it would be a rather pointless additition. I never really got the whole "Let's make this shooter really bloody and gory!" idea.

@Flux; yep.

Realism more than gore. Mortal Kombat 2 has some of the most blood in any game but it's programmed like garbage and unbelievable. Killing Floor was made to be what it is which is rugged and gory, but it was also made with mechanics and creations that are very much real and the added realism would boost the game IMO. KF is no longer shocking to me anymore. I play like there is no worry in the world. The first 300 hours were the best because the gameplay and gore was all new. I think if TWI didn't do what they intended to do, this game would blow!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it'd be pretty cool to be able to cut parts off enemies, and have their behaviour change depending on what you cut off (for example cutting off both legs would result in them crawling, etc.). I don't think it necessarily has to be difficult to implement; UE supports complex collision already.

Requiring you to damage the heart or head in order to actually kill an enemy would be really cool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it'd be pretty cool to be able to cut parts off enemies, and have their behaviour change depending on what you cut off (for example cutting off both legs would result in them crawling, etc.). I don't think it necessarily has to be difficult to implement; UE supports complex collision already.

Requiring you to damage the heart or head in order to actually kill an enemy would be really cool.

I like the idea. It would also be cool to implement certain specimens to react differently to say, losing both legs. (IE) cutting the legs off a crawler may result in it pulling itself forward slowly, while cutting the legs off a gorefast will result in it hopping on it's leg nubs really fast.

Upvote 0
Actually, my thread mentioned already what you want. In Brutal Doom, there is locational damage, albeit not as detailed as some would think it needs to be, but it is a mod by ONE person who has to draw all the pixels/voxels by himself plus the other game features.

Locational based damage - head, arms, legs, torsos... different death or maimed animations... see the guy with no legs dragging his torso with his arms...

Not just more blood pixels but almost physic like based effects including:

More blood splatter on walls in a 3D arc - top, floor and sides of walls
blood runs down (and up some walls - glitch)
Bullet impacts creating locational blood damage but not body chucks being chipped away - great idea though.
Body parts sticks to walls in 3D arc - mostly brains or something that looks like that
Movable limbs on the floor including head, arms, leg and torso... you can literally kick it away or smash it into pieces

Then there is also a LOT more than the above such as fatalities - melee mode that literally tears the enemy apart, different death animations for PLAYERS AND MONSTERS based on weapons, iron sights aiming to most weapons, and modified monster attack modes.

Like I said, it felt a lot like a 2.5D pixel/voxel version of KF for some reason with Doom monsters. I can imagine how much better KF 2 may be with a UE3/4, Crysis, Frostbite, Uniengine or other modern game engine with updated KF gameplay plus the new gore mode and new gameplay modes (objectives and story mode).

Anyway, I know there are detractors and those can stick to regular KF while others who want more can hope that someone talented may consider a KF gore mod or perhaps a gore mode for KF2.

It would not be something easy to code as we are not asking for just more blood to pour out. There is a lot of work involved including all the additional animation changes, physics based damage, and etc.. so probably best for KF2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It would not be something easy to code as we are not asking for just more blood to pour out. There is a lot of work involved including all the additional animation changes, physics based damage, and etc.. so probably best for KF2.

All it could take then is a minor glitch or so for the zeds to become as invincible as Black Knights.

Monty Python- The Black Knight Fight - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
All it could take then is a minor glitch or so for the zeds to become as invincible as Black Knights.

Monty Python- The Black Knight Fight - YouTube

Haha! I love Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail!

You totally got the gist of what we want in the game.

I can imagine TWI implementing a "brutal" mode above HOE with a near invincible Patriarch head using his tongue to move his limbless severed head to gnaw at your ankles until the last surviving player head stomps him to bloody pulp.

Of course, I would expect TWI to "QC" the heck out of the gore mode before releasing it onto the world. A public beta would be awesome for laughs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Valve did it in the span of a year with L4D2.

Which ended up with the game being more censored than the first one in Australia and Germany. And what they did with L4D2 kind of pales in comparison to what Dafe wants. They made it so you could remove limbs, burn them and gib them; Dafe wants you to be able to blow holes in their bodies, mutilate the bodies after death (that alone is going to get it banned in a few countries; was mentioned in another thread), pretty much be able to remove chunks of the Zed shot by shot until there is nothing left. A lot of coding and work. Personally I just don't think it is needed. Sure, if it was added I would play still play it, and probably enjoy it too, but it doesn't mean that I want it.

There is a point where there is too much gore, and too much can turn away potential players and can give bad ratings/reviews (thereby turning more potential players away). Too much of something is never good. That's something that should be kept in mind.

Upvote 0
KF2 - Strawberry jelly simulator.

Meh. How about a properly functioning game first? What about a community of more than 3k players?

Basically this. Also KF has been around for awhile now and it's pretty clear that devs don't wanna push for some humongous KF2.0 graphics overhaul. But I'm sure that kf isn't going to be forgotten about. Oh and hai community.

Upvote 0
There is a point where there is too much gore, and too much can turn away potential players and can give bad ratings/reviews (thereby turning more potential players away). Too much of something is never good. That's something that should be kept in mind.

Huh? Seriously? If we stopped the violence element back with Wolfenstein 3D, Killing Floor would probably be called "Mess Floor"

Upvote 0