• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server KF2 Server only visible in games browser under LAN - I've tried everything

humanix

Apr 12, 2021
I've ran a KF2 dedicated server for years - Once everything was was working I never touched my config files, computer settings, firewall settings, etc.

There must have been an update or something that changed around Oct - Nov 2020, because it seems like I'm not the only one with this issue.

I currently have the following ports forwarded:

Untitled.jpg

I have also tried the following / additional info:

- Delete all / re-configure forwarded ports in the router
- Checked windows firewall / disabled windows firewall
- Completely deleted KF2 Dedicated server / re-downloaded
- Deleted / reinstalled steam CMD
- I do not run any third-party firewalls
- I am running the default server launch .bat configuration
- Recently changed service provider

I'm getting these errors in my CMD window after launch:

Untitled.jpg

I'll also note that this line in particular:

DevOnline: Sending out playfab request to url Server/RefreshGameServerInstanceHeartbeat with data: {"LobbyId":"9698766462404637424"}

I have never seen it before and seems to be apparent at the same time as everything went to ****.

Any suggestions on what to do here? I'm losing my mind over trying to fix this.

The fact that you got a SteamUID and playfab ID indicates that the server is talking with the master servers and should be publicly visible.

Now generally when something like this happens with a client, it is because security software (firewall/antivirus) doesn't like that the .exe has been updated and no longer recognizes the game. Try removing and re-adding the server .exe for any such lists/software.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
The fact that you got a SteamUID and playfab ID indicates that the server is talking with the master servers and should be publicly visible.

Now generally when something like this happens with a client, it is because security software (firewall/antivirus) doesn't like that the .exe has been updated and no longer recognizes the game. Try removing and re-adding the server .exe for any such lists/software.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I'm not running any third party software, antivirus, etc.

I removed the KF2 dedicated server entry from windows firewall and re-added it when asked to do so upon running the program - still no luck.

Upvote 0
Are you running from home PC or Remote Data Center?

I use a somewhat newer version of HLSW to verify

Just curious are you using Google's DNS?
8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4
I am but was having issue was just curious

If hosting from home is your server hosting computer set as DMZ?

Cheers mate.

Not running any media centres, also not using any custom / google DNS server settings.

Upvote 0
I've ran a KF2 dedicated server for years - Once everything was was working I never touched my config files, computer settings, firewall settings, etc.

There must have been an update or something that changed around Oct - Nov 2020, because it seems like I'm not the only one with this issue.

I currently have the following ports forwarded:

View attachment 2336037

I have also tried the following / additional info:

- Delete all / re-configure forwarded ports in the router
- Checked windows firewall / disabled windows firewall
- Completely deleted KF2 Dedicated server / re-downloaded
- Deleted / reinstalled steam CMD
- I do not run any third-party firewalls
- I am running the default server launch .bat configuration
- Recently changed service provider

I'm getting these errors in my CMD window after launch:

View attachment 2336038

I'll also note that this line in particular:

I have never seen it before and seems to be apparent at the same time as everything went to ****.

Any suggestions on what to do here? I'm losing my mind over trying to fix this.

You didn't specifically mention it, but I would start with making sure all filtering is disabled on your server browser. Just to make sure there's not something in there that's excluding your server.
Server Filter.png
Are you running other game servers on this same server? If so, try disabling them to make sure you're not getting a port conflict with one of them. [Edit: giving this more thought, if it's showing on LAN then it's probably not a conflict of another game server running on the server, but can't hurt to still trying to disable them.]
If that doesn't work try disabling all the extra port forwarding you have going on towards your server. Go to the 3 ports required for the game. Port 123 is an outbound connection so it's not required to be port forwarded.

Game Port7777UDP
Query Port27015UDP
Steam Port20560UDP

Upvote 0
You didn't specifically mention it, but I would start with making sure all filtering is disabled on your server browser. Just to make sure there's not something in there that's excluding your server.
View attachment 2336041
Are you running other game servers on this same server? If so, try disabling them to make sure you're not getting a port conflict with one of them. [Edit: giving this more thought, if it's showing on LAN then it's probably not a conflict of another game server running on the server, but can't hurt to still trying to disable them.]
If that doesn't work try disabling all the extra port forwarding you have going on towards your server. Go to the 3 ports required for the game. Port 123 is an outbound connection so it's not required to be port forwarded.

Game Port7777UDP
Query Port27015UDP
Steam Port20560UDP

Thanks mate, no luck unfortunately with this.

These lines seem to be the issue, I've never had them before I started having problems:

@Yoshiro

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0
Those aren't an issue, those are your server talking to one of the master servers (in this case the one handling EPIC players), letting it know it is there.

Got it working, you were right.

Turns out my dodgy ISP had port forwarding disabled at an account level.

I called up and had NGCAT disabled form their end and all is well.

Thanks for the help mate.

Upvote 0