• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF2 on Unreal 3 engine?

I just read that KF2 will use the Unreal 3 for a number of reason's, including wanting lower spec machine's to be able run the game (including dual core machines) and the development crew feeling the Unreal 4 engine still needs time to develope.
Would this be true?
What sort of spec's should we expect from this game?

System specs not yet released. But I'm of the assumption that if your PC can run the majority of UE3 games (RO2, Rising Storm, Bulletstorm, etc) then you should be OK.

Also:

Many things are still up in the air on this, so there is no spec at this time (min or recommended). There is no good game to judge against either. Just sit tight until we have something to announce on this subject.

Upvote 0
It really does not make sense to compare any game, UE or not, to KF2. Wait for the official specs :)

To add to that:

Half-Life used a heavily modified Quake engine (The original Quake) which at the time was a couple years old, the QII engine was already out, yet Valve made HL off the QI Engine and it's physics and graphics were par with the time (or more)

It doesn't exactly matter which engine you use, but what you can do with that engine.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys.
That is true, HL did run on the Quake engine but was higher spec'd and heavily modified.
I read on a site (Se7venSins, I'm mot sure how reliable they are) that they didn't want the game to be only for high end pc's, but we'll only able to tell after the spec's have been released.
In saying that someone told me a good comparison would be it won't be as demanding as Battlefield 4, but be higher in spec then Counter Strike:Global Offensive. I think the Bioshock Infinite on ultra settings is a good comparison.
Eitherway I think an upgrade may be worth it for this game.

Upvote 0
I think if you can run the more demanding recent PC releases then you're fine. Yeah I know, official TWI response is to not compare, but I think you're safe if you can run the likes of BF4 and whatever else has come out recently. But I'm certain it will be more demanding than other (older) UE3 games already available.

Upvote 0
I just hope that there will be settings for people with high end pcs. I like to max out my games..it's why I spent a lot of money building my pc.

So hopefully they will provide options for people not running toasters such as higher polygon models (characters, weapons and maps), high resolution textures (hoping for 1024x1024 at least), better lighting and of course, 16x AA which every game made in the last 3 years should have. Can't stand jagged edges :mad: especially on an hd screen.

The screenshots I have seen look promising so far but they are probably pre rendered.

Upvote 0
Your expectation there is surprisingly low. :D

I can guarantee that all the textures will be at least 2048x2048 just like in RO2. They might push them to 4096x4096 considering it's a modified version of UE3 and 2k res textures was mostly just an artificial limitation of the engine.

True, but I was thinking of KF1 while writing that. last time I looked at the SDK, I remember them being smaller. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right packages.

Upvote 0
True, but I was thinking of KF1 while writing that. last time I looked at the SDK, I remember them being smaller. Maybe I wasn't looking at the right packages.

KF1 is not the right game to compare to when it comes to engine technology. RO2/RS is their last game made and it's running on UE3 while KF2 will be running on an even newer/better build of UE3. So that's the more apt comparison to make, which is very promising.

Upvote 0
KF1 is not the right game to compare to when it comes to engine technology. RO2/RS is their last game made and it's running on UE3 while KF2 will be running on an even newer/better build of UE3. So that's the more apt comparison to make, which is very promising.

I've never played any of the others games TWI has made so i can't comment on them. In my mind, I was mostly thinking of what I'd want my KF2 experience to be like compared to KF1.

Upvote 0
+1, I highly recommend making sure the game runs well on entry level rigs, even if it doesn't look very nice (at first - low-quality textures is an art and can be done well).

One of the major reason why Killing Floor 1 was such a massive success was its low requirement: a bunch of friends could play together, even if one or two in the group only had a weak GPU (or an average gaming notebook).

Countless people online confirmed me this, and in my case we could organize LANs games (using spare Steam accounts with KF1, bought during sales for that very purpose) with non-gamer friends (who would have never bought KF1 themselves) thanks to the excellent downward scalability.

For quite a lot of people, Killing Floor was one of the few games that introduced them to online PC multiplayer gaming (since it's cooperative PvE, much more forgiving and friendly than pure PvP) and got them to get a decent GPU. If Killing Floor 2 could do this for newer generations of PC gamer, it would be an excellent news for both the game and gamers :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just read that KF2 will use the Unreal 3 for a number of reason's, including wanting lower spec machine's to be able run the game (including dual core machines) and the development crew feeling the Unreal 4 engine still needs time to develope.
Would this be true?
What sort of spec's should we expect from this game?
There is official FAQ on Steam forums for KF2. I really don't know what kind of answer you are expecting.
There were a few hardware requirements topics already here, despite no info in the faq - why didn't you bother to find them? Again - I really don't know what kind of answer you are expecting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0