• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KF2 Instrumental Soundtrack Question

Zerethon

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2009
Ohio
Buuuut not the normal one.

Would it be against the forum ToS if i were to post a how-to (including the set of files to convert it) on how to convert the in-game soundtrack into ogg/mp3 files? Since there's no announcement that the Deluxe edition OST is ever going to be a complete OST and have the instrumentals.

For the record, it's not overly easy, especially if you want properly titled ones to add them to the OST from deluxe edition by hand. Unless someone has a way to link them up with the file that displays the name in-game.

There is a tut somewhere to rip sounds from Unreal 3 somewhere which converts them to ogg files. I think its posted in Facepunch already. After that do...

Tutorial:
Step 1: Download Audacity
Step 2: Download mp3 coder and place it where it tells you.
Step 3: Drag ogg file into Audacity
Step 4: Save as mp3

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a tut somewhere to rip sounds from Unreal 3 somewhere which converts them to ogg files. I think its posted in Facepunch already. After that do...

Tutorial:
Step 1: Download Audacity
Step 2: Download mp3 coder and place it where it tells you.
Step 3: Drag ogg file into Audacity
Step 4: Save as mp3

I Know that. My question is if it would be against the ToS to post a tutorial and pre-compiled fileset specifically for converting the KF2 music files into .ogg files

which is:

1. Convert the raw .wem files into ogg
2. spend a long time matching the resulting files to their song names
3. Convert the renamed OGG's to your format of choice
4. Manually edit in the title, track, etc. info so that it displays correctly in MP3 players and the like.

I've been compiling a massive list of the songs and their OST Matches including the instrumental tracks (since i bought the deluxe edition) so i could actually post a tutorial and a list that contains which result is what song.

I Just don't want to get banned or something if i do.

Upvote 0
Since there's no announcement that the Deluxe edition OST is ever going to be a complete OST and have the instrumentals.

I think it depends on how much people want it. Is a degraded transcode of a lossy source enough or should there be a 1st gen encoding of the original source available? I'd understand though, leading a charge takes effort and doesn't always pan out (nipple rings) but who knows what could happen if there's demand...

Upvote 0
I think it depends on how much people want it. Is a degraded transcode of a lossy source enough or should there be a 1st gen encoding of the original source available? I'd understand though, leading a charge takes effort and doesn't always pan out (nipple rings) but who knows what could happen if there's demand...

The instrumental versions in the game files are pretty solid, even being converted twice (WEM -> OGG -> MP3) at 245-320k MP3 they're easily as solid as the Lyric versions on the OST (i could upload a comparison vid or something of one of them if someone wants.)

The only thing about ripping them i'm finding is that while -most- of the songs are in .WEM format in the music folder, others are buried deeper in others so assembling a "Full" OST list (Which is 50+ odd tracks) would take me a while.

Upvote 0
245-320k MP3 they're easily as solid as the Lyric versions on the OST (i could upload a comparison vid or something of one of them if someone wants.)

Would you consider a movie shot in 480 to be HD if it was upscaled to 720 or 1080?

Don't worry about the comparison, I've got that. Even without labels they're pretty easy to identify. The first few seconds of Incarnate: http://imgur.com/a/LRRbh[url]http://imgur.com/a/LRRbh[/URL]

I'm not blind to game rips. All I've got to say it don't be taken in by those trumpeting "320K". They're either being dishonest or incredibly misinformed. Like I said though, you either settle for what's there or stir up a demand for something better.

Upvote 0
Would you consider a movie shot in 480 to be HD if it was upscaled to 720 or 1080?

Don't worry about the comparison, I've got that. Even without labels they're pretty easy to identify. The first few seconds of Incarnate: http://imgur.com/a/LRRbh[url]http://imgur.com/a/LRRbh[/URL]

I'm not blind to game rips. All I've got to say it don't be taken in by those trumpeting "320K". They're either being dishonest or incredibly misinformed. Like I said though, you either settle for what's there or stir up a demand for something better.

I Just put that there because that's what i converted them out to (320kbs MP3) Which is good enough for the mid-end stereo in my car.

More or less, all i'm saying is that the direct-from-game files are of high-enough quality that they sound good in the game and they sound good enough run through a stereo or otherwise in MP3 form.

Now, if we were to go full audiophile with an additional FLAC copy like the base ost.... that's another story.

But not everyone has a high-end surround sound setup that can show the major differences between the 2. Let alone a $1k headset for their MP3 player that can do it as well.

Upvote 0