• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-TheOffice

Hey

Hey

To the negative people listed below. If you guys actually played the maps in the beta section then we would not have this problem; however, like most players they wait for a final. They think "Oh we don't want to play a beta!". Well guess what. If you list it and no one responds but a few then how is he supposed to know there is a problem. You need to be a little more pro active if you want better finals.

Unlike most players, who whine and complain about it, I support the beta players. I try to give feed back and throw as many of the maps I can on my servers, so people can test them and give feedback. I have formed small alliances with several mappers. We can get together and I put the newest versions on my servers. We play through the maps and we find the issues. Not everyone does this. I have been a little bit busy the last couple of weeks with going back to school and working full time. James if I do not have your map on my server I will add it. I am always adding some map.

It is pretty basic. STEP UP AND PLAY THE BETAS OR DO NOT COMPLAIN WHEN THEY ARE RELEASED TO FINAL. You have no place to criticize. This man did actually try it the legitimate way. He followed the rules.

I want to thank you James for building your map. Keep up the good work. As I was once told by other senior mappers. Ignore the trolls who only criticize and take advice from those who will give it. Always ask questions if you need help. Someone usually always tries to help.

Then you should have released this as a beta or "release candidate" and not as a final. ;)

Please check beta forum before you post!

so.... it is a final map or not? if is not, move to the beta map section.

I think that someone have to make sure that the map's are posting here are really final... otherwise we will fall all into a full server's with unknown beta or even pre-beta non tested maps.

)'= see these pls, before the skirmish begins.

I answered this above.

This looks terrible, please don't release unfinished experimental 'learning' content as a final map.
It makes your skill as a mapper doubtful, when you are really only just learning.
It takes a long time to create a map, make sure you can commit to that before you start, or else you might as well not bother.

Maul you are always negative. Try to be positive you might get better results out of a new mapper. The rest of my comments are above. Good thing I never listened to you when you where like this in my first map; however senior mappers told me to ignore you. I have improved and have a ways to go. So will James.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

I am back. LOL. This is a good map. Do not listen to those if they say otherwise. If you do make another version with more levels, make it a new map with a new name. I enjoyed it a lot.

Now for map itself. It is a good lay out. I did not see a whole lot of issues. Mostly polish.

The lighting was pretty bright in some areas. Some people like that some like dark. Might just meet everyone half way.

The rooms could use just a little more alignment. You can see it in the floor where it drops down.

The coat rack is a visual but could be lowered.

You have a office on the side and around the corner there is an indent into the floor with a blocker. I am guessing a spawn. Might think about raising the indent to make it level.

I did not check fps or map editor for zone blocks. They would not hurt anything; even though my computer did just fine.

You have a big set of lockers in the outside hallway. They are huge. Might make them man size and put a blocker on top so people do not try to glitch up there.

I would put blockers over the desk and on top of the lockers so people do not jump up high and try to glitch. I was able to get up on the dividers. I believe I could have gotten up on the lockers. Use the blocker that allows the zombies to jump and not the players.

Door jambs did not match the floor; however, they do not have to. Personal taste. You can change all the carpet and have it match so it seems seamless. This includes the door jambs. You high light all the textures you want to align in the editor. Push F5 Go to pan-rotate-style to get the size you want for the texture. Then go to alignment select planar and hit align. This will align all those textures. If you have several you want to align and do not want to click on them all then do this. Right click the texture. Go to select surfaces-Matching textures. Then do the f5 thing above. All those textures are aligned. Just remember if you use this texture anywhere else you just aligned it also.

Another helpful tip. Click on a static mesh, brush, or breakable. Right click-go to select- and select all matching static meshes, brushes, movers, or what ever. Great tool for mass editing. Especially for grass.

Good luck. I think I got it all. Close to work time so I got to go.

Upvote 0
Not good, not good. Some hopefully helpful criticism, so the map author can learn from his mistakes.

The map layout makes absolutely no sense:
- No doors out. No windows. Just a couple of rooms with no way in nor out.
- Also the layout in general is bad, no way an office -or any other- building like that would exist. Huge empty spaces, etc.

Many textures, objects and other details are completely out of place:
- Many sections of wall / floor / ceiling are not matching, leaving visible cracks and lighting errors on them. These are everywhere.
- The weldable door also doesn't match its place.
- Trader room entry point and wall textures.
- Lockers on top of lockers.
- Random ventilation pipe on office corridor floor.
- The crawler spawn air duct is poorly done. It's just a hole in the wall.
- The "wardrobe" has poorly defined edges (like the crawler spawn) and mismatching textures & floor level.
- One of the doors has a camera instead of wall above it.
- The flickering lights do cause flickering lighting.
- The spawn room feels like you just added random objects to it because otherwise it would've been too empty. Actually, all the objects in this map give the same feeling.
- Trader corridor floor texture goes too far into the spawn room.
- etc.

Bad gameplay, not enough playtesting done:
The map has only 2 spawn points and both can be slowed down, if not completely blocked.
Alternatively your team can: stay still near the trader and shoot in one direction until the whole wave is dead. Repeat 10 times.

Good things:
- It's almost like KF-Leveling! Great for leveling any ranged damage perk!
- You've included a door to weld! (even though it's mostly useless due to the spawner/pathing issues)

Upvote 0
Hey

Hey

i​e;508936 said:
Not good, not good. Some hopefully helpful criticism, so the map author can learn from his mistakes.

- Also the layout in general is bad, no way an office -or any other- building like that would exist. Huge empty spaces, etc.

- Many sections of wall / floor / ceiling are not matching, leaving visible cracks and lighting errors on them. These are everywhere.
- The "wardrobe" has poorly defined edges (like the crawler spawn) and mismatching textures & floor level.

- The spawn room feels like you just added random objects to it because otherwise it would've been too empty. Actually, all the objects in this map give the same feeling.
- etc. [Sorry we do not understand etc.]

The map has only 2 spawn points and both can be slowed down, if not completely blocked.
Alternatively your team can: stay still near the trader and shoot in one direction until the whole wave is dead. Repeat 10 times.

Good things:
- You've included a door to weld! (even though it's mostly useless due to the spawner/pathing issues)

Before the new patch, on Killing Floor, it was quite fun. If you play on hard mode, with 6 players, it can get challenging. Like I said earlier. If you want better maps then test them out as betas. The mapper might take your suggestion. Then again they might not. Depends on how you present them and if your being a troll. On the other side. Maybe they intended it to look that way.

If you want to see a certain type of map. Build one and let us play it. Then maybe we will know what you want or like.

Eye candy is nice such as outside views; however not needed for good playing maps. I have played lots of KF maps you never see day light.

I help all new mappers to my knowledge. If I do not know I try to find out. My first map was a very big experiment. It takes time to learn and develop good skills. I have a ways to go.

Another way I help them is by putting their maps on my servers. That way people can test the betas. If the person is really trying. Then it should make it to my server. Unless they are a fly by night mapper or just plain rude to the community. Then I ban them.:cool:

I am sure your suggestions will be helpful to James. Except the last part. Just pure sarcasm. If you want to go around on easy and try to perk up. Well you can do that on any official map.

If it was a leveling map. It would not be perk enabled. Tripwire and the mapping community work hard at not letting these maps make it by.

I guess bottom line is. Keep up the testing and helpful remarks. That is what you are doing well. Leave the sarcasm and how much you think a map is terrible at the door. This is where you will loose the respect of mappers.

To help you out I highlighted your mistakes.

BAD Does not help the mapper.

GOOD Kind of helps the mapper if you had examples.

ECT. Does not make any sense. Does not help the mapper.

Last but not least. If your going to take time to review the maps. You need screen shots of what is wrong. If we can not see what you see. Then it will not get fixed. Here let me tell you how to do something in writing. First you take that thingy over there. Fix that crack here. It would be much better.

Upvote 0
i​e;508936 said:

- etc.

Good things:

Agree with all of them but did you check when I made this map? It was my first map ever. Its a bad map.

Upvote 0
mapping community is like a gf, no matter how ugly she is, you always got to tell her something positive. its sad that mapping has been reduced to that, its an art form like all others. when someone said, "HEY DAVINCI, YOUR NEW PAINING IS BAD" im sure DaVinci didnt turn around and say, "well youre being a big meany, take it back, take it back :-("

if youre going to make a map, EXPECT all types of criticism! bad, good, harsh, etc etc, youre an adult, you can handle having someone say your work looks shoddy.

PS: yes james, your first map is bad, i hope i havnt ruined your day. please dont suicide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0