• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-Subterrane

mikkou

Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2014
preview1.png

KF-Subterrane​

Version: 2

Download: Check the "final" thread for the newest version.

Map Size: Medium

Screenshots:

Spoiler!

Special Features:
- Fully destructable lights indoors.
- Emergency lighting triggered by destroying certain things in the map.
- Couple extra spawns for specimens triggered by destruction, so better kill those sirens quick and watch out where you nade things.

Description: This is an "outpost-style" bunker located underground within a large cave system.

What testing is wanted: Please let me know if you find any exploits, pathing problems or other oddities. Also please comment on the general difficulty of the map, Im a little worried some spots may be too easy to defend, but so far from the few test runs Ive made with people we always died before the boss (but that could be due low perk levels and general noobiness)

Last edited:
what to destroy to activate? :D nice map btw :)

Oh, youll find out. Its not exactly hidden.

Great map, nice and detailed :) It looks like the only problem is that I can see them spawn in this location
Spoiler!

Oh and you might also want to take a look at these screenshots. Minor details

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Thanks, I will be taking care of those for the next version. I think the spawn problem near the stairs is a bug of sorts though, the volume thinks you cant see it so it spawns specimens. I will just either move it or extend it so that the player in stairs touches the volume and thus turning it off.

Upvote 0
Just finished a hard-solo play as a lvl 17 medic, finally killed Hans, and with a head-shot to boot! XD

So, map is pretty good! Plenty of places to go, with several circular-routes you can take, immensely helps when running away and kiting the boss. The environment does vary in multiple areas, indoors and outdoors, and I did feel the spawns may have become more aggressive as the arena deteriorated. There's a good amount of clutter in the rooms and hallways - enough to keep most of the map from feeling empty, with some good rifleman spots here and there with adequate cover, but nothing that I could get stuck on or obstructed easily. Aesthetics are appealing, lighting does seem to change based on the abuse the map has suffered.

However, I do feel it is possible to 'camp' in the control room - although there are spawn-vents in the ceiling, they have such a small chance to activate, I could hold the hall-way and funnel the numbers in, medic-grenade worked very well for killing the trash-mobs and weakening the bigger guys forced to bunch up in that hall-way towards the control room, and if things got too hairy, I could kite them around the room and run out. I would like to perhaps suggest a few more items in the control room, whether it is some desks, chairs and computers in the centre or 'pit' area around the inner-corners.

As mentioned, this map does lend very strongly to strategies involving kiting with Hans - there's a large circular route in the middle, another involving the mess-hall, one more either side of it and another in the second exterior spot with a trader, guessing you could do that with the mechanic's garage, only having to go there once. Does make for a good chase, more-so being able to actually out-run him as a medic.

I do very much like the idea of spawns occurring when certain features are destroyed, wanting to try such a thing with my own mapping projects, having only played through it once and to the end, I'd probably need to try again to really see the spawn-changes occur.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Updated the map:
- Fixed the issues reported so far (more details in the readme)
- Changed the layout of the "command center" room, to be more claustrophobic as well as tweaked the vent spawns a bit so that theyd be a bit more aggressive (hopefully). However in case of singleplayer, the vents probably are less used due small amount of specimens spawning overall.

Upvote 0
I really like playing this map in solo. I hope some people will soon add it to thier servers. For now the only thing i could say as a critic is that i'm pretty bored of all the basic assets, cause we see them so much :D
But it's really to say something. It's a good map. It has good graphics, it's not too big, not too tight, the lights and path finding are nice.
Can't wait to see further updates man !!

Upvote 0
For now the only thing i could say as a critic is that i'm pretty bored of all the basic assets, cause we see them so much :D

That is true, sadly, but creating custom models will take a long time especially for someone who has never done it (like me). If I had more time I would learn it, but having to work and get drunk on regular basis I dont really want to get into it (and if I would, it would likely take months and more months to actually release any maps).

I do know a couple of modellers though, so perhaps in future maps I get to use their services :rolleyes:. Meanwhile, I will just try to build the maps so that its less obvious that Im using the stock assets, and possibly mix it up with some custom textures.

Upvote 0
That is true, sadly, but creating custom models will take a long time especially for someone who has never done it (like me). If I had more time I would learn it, but having to work and get drunk on regular basis I dont really want to get into it (and if I would, it would likely take months and more months to actually release any maps).

I do know a couple of modellers though, so perhaps in future maps I get to use their services :rolleyes:. Meanwhile, I will just try to build the maps so that its less obvious that Im using the stock assets, and possibly mix it up with some custom textures.

I feel you. The last map i released took me like 5 months, only to create the textures. When you want something new, you have a bad time :D

Upvote 0