• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-StoryMapIn24h

PiX

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Sweden
New Download! KF-StoryMapIn24h-FIX2

Exactly what it sounds like. 24 hours to make + 2h for fixing errors.

I set out to do the exact opposite of what I usually do when I start mapping. I go into details too quickly and I do an enormous amount of testing. Not this time, I thought.
And just to break off from that, and to see if I could actually manage I set a time frame, a deadline for myself. Twenty four hours of actual mapping. The most basic stuff. What do you need to make a story map? You need BSP, obviously, and you need triggers, yes, and you also need enemy spawns. So. This is what the map consists of more or less.

Disclaimer:
What you may and may not do, before, after or while playing this map. Ignore this and I will ignore you:

• You may not critisize the lighting of this map.
  • You may not tell me how it needs more stuff in it(except for ammo and guns).
  • You may not say how the BSP looks too blocky.
  • You may not say "Is this all you managed to do in 24 hours?", also, that tells me and everyone else that you're not a mapper.
However, you're very welcome to:

• Critisize the lay-out of the level.
  • Tell me about balancing issues.
  • Let me in on exploits/bugs you have found.

Changes in the Fixed Version:

• Movers are working now, although I'm not responsible for what high pings can do to.
  • Largely more foolproof.
  • More messages and visual indicators (especially for the last part of the map).
  • More time added to the door that closes.
  • A few Balancing issues.
  • The controls that the enemies are attacking now actually runs a chance of breaking, which was not really the case before.
Download Mirrors (1,2mb):

• FileFactory (Fast download, lots of ads)
  • GameFront (A little slower. A few ads, but this mirror may brake at some point since GameFront deletes certain uploads now and then)

Credits:
Falidell for his trigger pack.
KiCk3R, Kayako Chan, Moo, Plankie, [AM]Ben, Bindal, Blazeror, Jallow, Tiago, Faneca, Mr.RoBoT, Fang for beta testing.

Attachments

• Shot00001.jpg
    Shot00001.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Shot00002.jpg
    Shot00002.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Shot00003.jpg
    Shot00003.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
likely to glitch. Be careful when on movers, and expect the mover to be a few seconds behind the visual view of the mover.

This is because you dont have the mover set to the game "speed" i guess thats what its called. You have to set nemurous key points (evenly distanced) especally if its a fast moving mover, so that the player orintation to game time and mover time sync up.

This is why with movers that have a long distance (long meaning 50m or more)to travel EVEN if its just a straight line should have multiple key points. Also use the ElevatorDoor Mover for a multiple key mover. I find that they dont glitch.

Some PlayerStarts are not working correctly and you may spawn without control over your own pawn. I have not yet figured out weither this is a map flaw or something to do with Falidell's TriggerPack.

Use Triggered Player Starts

You should check my tutorial, would solve your gameplay and player start issues and crap

I also dont see why you would make a mission map in 24 hours (which is perfectly fine to me) but you released it in Final?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is because you dont have the mover set to the game "speed" i guess thats what its called. You have to set nemurous key points (evenly distanced) especally if its a fast moving mover, so that the player orintation to game time and mover time sync up.

This is why with movers that have a long distance (long meaning 50m or more)to travel EVEN if its just a straight line should have multiple key points. Also use the ElevatorDoor Mover for a multiple key mover. I find that they dont glitch.
Thank you for the advice. I'll look into it.

I do use TriggeredPlayerStarts. Please don't take me for a newbie on these things.

Upvote 0
\. Please don't take me for a newbie on these things.
Dont get uptight, just offering advice

Well on Obsidian i too had that problem on the playerstarts at wave 3 (above surface lava area) But it seemed to REALLY happen with the perk mod activated.

Now thats its WL and im not using the perk mod. itll pause for 1/2 a sec then spawn you, but only on that wave.. which is weird

Last edited:
Reactions: SMIFF
Upvote 0
Map is cool, I helped out PiX test it out several times. This was a good solo-competition to see how much he could do in such a short mapping time.

Below is me talking about the map, specificly mentioning and describing certain areas. If you don't want to get spoiled, don't read it.

SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
PiX;n1531628 said:
The map is to be revived under the name KF-LerwickWonder. Watch for that name in the Beta Map Releases forums. The link will remain dead as I don't want any more spread of the old version.

Aww..and I thought I could try this map out....you know seeing how the other one is bugged or I have no idea how to pass it........well anywho, here's the link to his KF-LerwickWonder thread....in case anyone is wondering or too lazy to look for yourself...

Upvote 0