• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Final Map KF-Silo-Of-Despair

THEDDLE

Grizzled Veteran
May 14, 2009
This is my first map. Was a great learning experience. I hope you enjoy. It has a little of everything for everybody. The main room is big with catwalks on it. There are side hallways for people fight in and some rooms if you want to hold out in. I built this map with Hard and Suicidal in mind.

Map Name: Silo-Of-DespairV2
Author: =TCH=THEDDLE
Playable: Yes
Pictures: See below.
Description of map: Underground Silo
Map Download/Download Size: 2.91 zip.

Silo-Of-DespairV2

Silo1.jpg
Silo2.jpg
Silo3.jpg
Silo3.jpg
Silo5.jpg
Silo6.jpg
Silo7.jpg
silo8.jpg
silo9.jpg

Last edited:
Look, I wasn't impressed by the screenshots. I'm not insulting you or your family so its ridiculous to act like I am.
I respect you for for taking the time to map, but that goes without saying - judging by the screenies, it needs a bit of work. Thats all I'm saying.

Upvote 0
Hey.

Hey.

Ok. I was not feeling like anything. So I am not sure why you are upset. I take criticism quite well. So seems like your upset at nothing. However when you said scaling it might help if I knew exactly what your talking about. As your read above. This is my first map.

Upvote 0
god this maul guy is getting annoying, cant say anything positive. Like to see his maps says hes soo good. I bet they suck. He cant back himself up, all talk blah blah blah

Not bad for your 1st map :) I like how you added the lower lvl in the missle area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
driftwood;463466 Is this an update of your last map theddle? Sorry haven't tested this one so no real comments for you.[/QUOTE said:
This is the final version. The only thing it was missing is my screenshot. I would have to rebuild it again for that. I saved it to 22chartex I believe instead of a custom package. I learned how to fine tune the packages after the fact to make my own. So I am not going to re do it just for that unless someone is having issues due to screen shot.

Upvote 0
Try not to be such EMOs people.

Maul is not a troll, and if you were not blinded by pride you would see that his comments are good and helpful. He is not very tactful, but he gives good info that should be taken into consideration.

On that note I agree with him about the scaling. Scaling deals with aspect ratios of items/rooms in the map. Start with the size of the player sprites and build around that. In many custom maps, objects are often either too large or too small to look realistic. While that may not be important to some people, it does vastly effect immersion in the map. Without that effect there is no atmosphere, a quality that can make a large difference in the gaming experience. Look at pandora's box for example. That is a map with a very nice atmosphere. Try it out and you will see what I mean.

I hope this feedback helps. If you do not want feedback, don't make maps that are available to the public (that's for you EMO whiners).

Upvote 0
for the first map it`s good to created something that is "playable". but maul is right. the rooms are to big. the textures and staticmeshes are almost overscaled.did u ever saw a 100 squaremeters big room just with a table and some chairs, even u did it looks uninteresting. don`t worry.. it`s really hard to find the right proportions in egoshooters. set a pawn in ur map when u start mapping. then u can look how tall he is. this will give u a better impression how to scale everything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wait, so you can actually change the size of things in unreal editor?!

LOL

Just in case that wasn't ironic:
In an object properties windows, open the Display tab and either:
- modify the DrawScale value to scale it uniformly
- modify the DrawScale3D values to scale in space
You can combine both, for instance make your mesh half its size (DrawScale 0.5) and a bit taller (DrawScale3D 1,1,1.25)

A simple google search would have let you find that.

Upvote 0
LOL

Just in case that wasn't ironic:
In an object properties windows, open the Display tab and either:
- modify the DrawScale value to scale it uniformly
- modify the DrawScale3D values to scale in space
You can combine both, for instance make your mesh half its size (DrawScale 0.5) and a bit taller (DrawScale3D 1,1,1.25)

A simple google search would have let you find that.

i was being ironic :p

Upvote 0
for the first map it`s good to created something that is "playable". but maul is right. the rooms are to big. the textures and staticmeshes are almost overscaled.did u ever saw a 100 squaremeters big room just with a table and some chairs, even u did it looks uninteresting. don`t worry.. it`s really hard to find the right proportions in egoshooters. set a pawn in ur map when u start mapping. then u can look how tall he is. this will give u a better impression how to scale everything.

As for the spawning and checking the size I did. I guess I am just taller then most people. As far as seeing just a table with chairs with it. I see it all the time. I am in law enforcement so inmates use big tables. LOL. However seriously thanks for the feedback. It was a learning experience. If you would look at some of the stuff I did use I had to scale a lot of it down. Due to it was huge. I was looking a computer tower I did not use and it was bigger then my character. LOL. Every time I play with the editor I learn something new.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for the spawning and checking the size I did. I guess I am just taller then most people. As far as seeing just a table with chairs with it. I see it all the time. I am in law enforcement so inmates use big tables. LOL. However seriously thanks for the feedback. It was a learning experience. If you would look at some of the stuff I did use I had to scale a lot of it down. Due to it was huge. I was looking a computer tower I did not use and it was bigger then my character. LOL. Every time I play with the editor I learn something new.

i wouldnt worry about it. some of the greatest maps out there have bad scaling. take penumba/pandoras box for example, ouch!

Upvote 0