• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-ShoppingSpree

Map has moved on to Final Release, please continue the conversation in the new thread:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=116433

Original Story & Beta 20160130B

Spoiler!

Beta 20160210A

Spoiler!

Beta 20160216A

Spoiler!

Last edited:
So I've merged the data in the map file so it is a simple single file install. I've uploaded to ModDB and it is awaiting approval. I'll go to sleep now as it is early in the morning here in Belgium :)

I have no idea why it won't download when connecting to my server, I've read that you need to setup http download redirects for that to work, but feel free to shed some light on this. I've been sending each build to my fiends up until now so they can join and play. I've got a server that's running 24/7 so I can use that for playtesting.

Upvote 0
U really done Departed? Can we hope for more awesome content in the future?
I cant wait for your Departed remake. I go and get everyone on the hype train.

Is it possible to get another floor upstairs? Im kinda into high buildings :D

Bloats dont like that spawn and get stuck there:
http://i.imgur.com/CwidnDz.jpg

some optimisation would be also fun. The fountain for once kill ur fps totally.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
U really done Departed? Can we hope for more awesome content in the future?

Yes I did KF-Departed together with Jessy De Lannoit. Later we also worked together on the iOS title "Raids of Glory".

Now I'm basically looking for a job, Splash Damage & Foundy 42 have interesting positions open. So it will depend heavily on how busy I'll be in the coming months If I'll be able to make more content for KF2.

some optimisation would be also fun. The fountain for once kill ur fps totally.

It's probably because it is using per pixel depth mapping in the shader, I'll fake it via vertex colors & fresnel for the next release, that should help a lot while looking almost the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The map looks great aesthetically and also plays great; pathing is good, blocking volumes are placed correctly, trader pods are placed nicely and pickups are balanced. I haven't seen such a perfect custom map for KF2 until now.

The only complaint I have is performance. Tripwire's maps are still somewhat more detailed and good looking (just by a small margin) and I have no performance issues on their maps whatsoever. The fountain is an issue as of now, but not only that, the rest of the map also lags for me a lot. This is the only map I have to adjust my graphical settings for. It's kinda annoying to adjust my graphical settings for 1 map and whenever I turn to another map I have to restart the game again to ramp up my settings again.

It'd be great if you can fix the FPS lag. That would make this map just perfect in all categories.

Goed gedaan man ;)

Upvote 0
Updated Original Post with Beta 20160210A info & image album.
It isn't live yet as I'm still in QA testing mode, but it will likely be live in 2 hours. (around 23:00 GMT+1)

/EDIT: It has been uploaded to ModDB and is awaiting approval.
/EDIT2: Added MEGA as alternative download site.

oVxEBSA.jpg

KF-ShoppingSpree_20160210A ChangeLog:
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First of all nice map.

My only complaint is the file size of the latest version. I have 20160131A on my server which is 66 MB and was about to upgrade to 20160210A but it's 277 MB. That's really quite big and I think most players on my server would quit rather than wait a near 300 MB map to download. As a general rule I only put maps on rotation that are under 100 MB and even 100 MB is pushing it.

Is it possible to get the file size down?

Upvote 0
...As a general rule I only put maps on rotation that are under 100 MB and even 100 MB is pushing it.
Is it possible to get the file size down?

Well the problem is that whenever you add custom assets it will increase the size package. The maps that manage to stay under 100MB are the ones with little to no custom assets at all. ( Specifically textures and sounds are the big ones here )

The added textures to the latest release are completely in tandem size wise with tripwire assets and are graphic in nature, meaning I cannot use clever shader tricks & UV mapping to reuse 1 texture like crazy. I use appropriate compression and masks to get the most out of the textures I've included so there is really nothing I can do.

On top of that, unreal packages are not really setup to be all that compressed, because it needs to load fast. That is why the compressed download is only 60MB but the "uncompressed" package is around 280MB.

It would be better for tripwire to allow compressed redirects, BUT upon reading the documentation on the wiki they have already solved this problem in the form of the steam workshop. So the map creator is supposed to upload it the workshop and I presume that the client will automatically fetch it from the workshop when joining a server.

I don't know if this system is in place yet, but tripwire is working on it and will update the documentation closer to release as they said so themselves in the grindhouse deadline delay info.

I'm planning to put the next release on the workshop, so that would solve the problem.

Having said all that, there are a few assets from Tripwire like the TVs and commercial signage that don't have their UVs setup for optimal reuse, where the contents and outer border/shell share the same UV channel. So every texture for that has about 30% wasted space when changing content. But optimising that would only yield you somewhat better resolution here and there as going one mip down would make it too blurry.

Hope that clears things up :) It's not a solution for this current release as much as it is an explanation for why it is that way. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the problem is that whenever you add custom assets it will increase the size package. The maps that manage to stay under 100MB are the ones with little to no custom assets at all. ( Specifically textures and sounds are the big ones here )

The added textures to the latest release are completely in tandem size wise with tripwire assets and are graphic in nature, meaning I cannot use clever shader tricks & UV mapping to reuse 1 texture like crazy. I use appropriate compression and masks to get the most out of the textures I've included so there is really nothing I can do.

On top of that, unreal packages are not really setup to be all that compressed, because it needs to load fast. That is why the compressed download is only 60MB but the "uncompressed" package is around 280MB.

It would be better for tripwire to allow compressed redirects, BUT upon reading the documentation on the wiki they have already solved this problem in the form of the steam workshop. So the map creator is supposed to upload it the workshop and I presume that the client will automatically fetch it from the workshop when joining a server.

I don't know if this system is in place yet, but tripwire is working on it and will update the documentation closer to release as they said so themselves in the grindhouse deadline delay info.

I'm planning to put the next release on the workshop, so that would solve the problem.

Having said all that, there are a few assets from Tripwire like the TVs and commercial signage that don't have their UVs setup for optimal reuse, where the contents and outer border/shell share the same UV channel. So every texture for that has about 30% wasted space when changing content. But optimising that would only yield you somewhat better resolution here and there as going one mip down would make it too blurry.

Hope that clears things up :) It's not a solution for this current release as much as it is an explanation for why it is that way. :)

I second this, I recently just finished porting an old KF1 Map (Deck-17) and my cooked map comes out to about 480MB (Un-Cooked it

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I've been checking out why performance seems to be lower on my map. Because I want this puppy running @ or close to 60FPS 4K on my 980Ti.
Two things jump Out:

I have way more lights in my scene than tripwire. Idiotically I still had the notion of lightmaps in mind rather than shadowmaps.
So long story short, you cannot recklessly throw around lights and expect it to run great, as every light is still rendered realtime,
Which is why you can put all sorts of light animation like flicker/pulse without penalty.
( So it was not dynamic lighting in the traditional sense that was causing the performance issues. )

Turning off all major non essential lights alone yielded me almost double the FPS.

So I had a "bright" idea on how to drastically reduce the lights in my scene, while looking almost the same.
I did some tests and it is looking VERY promising. If everything pans out, we'll have quite a performance jump in the next build.
( In some cases it actually looks better & allows for more control, but I basically have to redo lighting on the whole map, so I'll be quite busy over the weekend. )
I'll share the technique when I can verify that it's working well without issues.

Next up is Draw Calls & actual Geometry Rendered. (Which is what I've been keeping an eye on the past 2 weeks)
Yes I'm currently higher in both counts than Tripwire maps. I can basically easily solve this by doing more mesh merging, more aggressive culling & implementing LODs.
From the lighting results, I can see that this is not really a big problem on high end cards, but could help on the low end.

So fingers crossed, the next one could be a big improvement.

Upvote 0
So I've been checking out why performance seems to be lower on my map. Because I want this puppy running @ or close to 60FPS 4K on my 980Ti.
Two things jump Out:

I have way more lights in my scene than tripwire. Idiotically I still had the notion of lightmaps in mind rather than shadowmaps.
So long story short, you cannot recklessly throw around lights and expect it to run great, as every light is still rendered realtime,
Which is why you can put all sorts of light animation like flicker/pulse without penalty.
( So it was not dynamic lighting in the traditional sense that was causing the performance issues. )

Turning off all major non essential lights alone yielded me almost double the FPS.

So I had a "bright" idea on how to drastically reduce the lights in my scene, while looking almost the same.
I did some tests and it is looking VERY promising. If everything pans out, we'll have quite a performance jump in the next build.
( In some cases it actually looks better & allows for more control, but I basically have to redo lighting on the whole map, so I'll be quite busy over the weekend. )
I'll share the technique when I can verify that it's working well without issues.

Next up is Draw Calls & actual Geometry Rendered. (Which is what I've been keeping an eye on the past 2 weeks)
Yes I'm currently higher in both counts than Tripwire maps. I can basically easily solve this by doing more mesh merging, more aggressive culling & implementing LODs.
From the lighting results, I can see that this is not really a big problem on high end cards, but could help on the low end.

So fingers crossed, the next one could be a big improvement.

I

Last edited:
Upvote 0