• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-ShaunOfTheDead

chewmyheadoff

Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2009
UK
bunnyhead.tk
*The map is now called KF-ShaunOfTheDead (previously KF-DogsCantLookUp) to avoid any confusion*

The THIRD release of the Shaun of the Dead beta is now here. I hope the non stop work through the past few weeks (when I was supposed to revise for my exams) has been worth it. Well it's up to you to judge.

Please report any bugs to my website www.bunnyhead.tk so this thread is not clogged up with replies. Feel free to comment here on the map and discuss new ideas.

My Steam name is chewmyheadoff, feel free to add me.

KF-ShaunOfTheDead-beta3
Download link
Size: 6.74mb
Released: 21/7/2009

BETA 3 fixes

* Perk selection problem
* Path nodes

KF-ShaunOfTheDead-beta2
Beta testing discontinued

New features

* Added ambient sound effects.
* Advertising boards, liven up the scenery.
* Improved trader locations, they are now spread out evenly, so make sure you go to the trader near the end of the waves.
* Working elevator in pub trader.
* Extended spawn street.
* New garaage area, creating a route behind the park and through to the spawning street.
* Fixed some collision problems.
* Improved performance with the use of antiportals, and removal of unecessary collision.
* 2 hidden secrets.
* Lightened up atmosphere, not so hard on the eyes now.
* Added spawn points, on roofs, round corners...
* Added objects (signs, posts, lights etc.) to improve authenticity.
And some more...

KF-ShaunOfTheDead-beta1
Beta testing finished for this version

KF-DogsCantLookUp-beta1 (OLD VERSION)
Beta testing finished for this version

View MORE screenshots
- go to gallery

pub01.jpg

garage01.jpg

street02.jpg

Last edited:
The reason why the custom textures looked a bit off is because of the crap lighting from the unreal engine, that is given to my custom meshes which i made on a different modeling program. I'll find a way to fix it soon.

Im already working on the cellar and the fuse room; just didnt want to release everything in the first build.

The sky iv been trying to darken, maybe put a fog ring around it like west london.

Other possible improvements:

- More alley ways
- Ambient sounds

Plus dont worry i dont take offence, throw anything at me, i just want to make this map good. I was wandering, is the file size a bit small? I swear i downloaded some maps which were 30mb+.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The cellar is nearly done but where should the entrances be? At the moment there are just stairs from the little room at the back of the pub. It would be difficult to make a trap door behind the bar as zombies will have a hard time getting back up. I might include the lift but maybe only for a trader room, that would be proper jokes.

Please post comments on what needs improving, more zombie spawn zones or something? I don't know what people want as im sick and tired of play testing this map over and over and i dont know whats fun anymore.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for this one so thought I'd give it a test.

1) Please add combat/calm wave music for next release, really adds to the atmosphere
2) Regarding the actual Winchester - other than the Cellar already discussed, you could add the corridor with John's office, maybe a bathroom and the back door to the street.
3) You must have had a reason for not putting in weldable doors for the pub entrances?
4) +1 to putting the gun above the bar. There is a Winchester static mesh in there somewhere
2) Being based on the film, it would have been nice to have more incentive to fight in the actual pub. At the moment it seems like the dumbest place to fight, because the streets are reallly wide and there is that huge park opposite the pub. I think you aimed to balance the map for > 6 players? Noone else joined my server while I was playing, but on my own I had no problems kiting any number of zeds in those streets.
Ideas for making it more interesting to play with up to 6 players:
-narrow the streets or block them off significantly with wrecked vehicles
-put zombie spawn points in underground and have them jump up out of sewer holes and from behind wrecked cars in middle of the street, to surprise players getting comfy standing in the open with a crossbow
- block off the majority of that huge park opposite the Winchester

I really liked the passages through the backyards, the recreation of the pub and the general attention to detail. I didn't find any glitches/abuses.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for this one so thought I'd give it a test.

1) Please add combat/calm wave music for next release, really adds to the atmosphere
2) Regarding the actual Winchester - other than the Cellar already discussed, you could add the corridor with John's office, maybe a bathroom and the back door to the street.
3) You must have had a reason for not putting in weldable doors for the pub entrances?
4) +1 to putting the gun above the bar. There is a Winchester static mesh in there somewhere
2) Being based on the film, it would have been nice to have more incentive to fight in the actual pub. At the moment it seems like the dumbest place to fight, because the streets are reallly wide and there is that huge park opposite the pub. I think you aimed to balance the map for > 6 players? Noone else joined my server while I was playing, but on my own I had no problems kiting any number of zeds in those streets.
Ideas for making it more interesting to play with up to 6 players:
-narrow the streets or block them off significantly with wrecked vehicles
-put zombie spawn points in underground and have them jump up out of sewer holes and from behind wrecked cars in middle of the street, to surprise players getting comfy standing in the open with a crossbow
- block off the majority of that huge park opposite the Winchester

I really liked the passages through the backyards, the recreation of the pub and the general attention to detail. I didn't find any glitches/abuses.

1) Yea I forgot to put music in, it will be there next time.

2) There will be a backdoor... corridor and john's office? I'll have to watch the film again.

3) I swear the pub entrances are weldable, they were the last time I played.

4) Yea that's easily done, I kinda rushed the interior to get the first beta released.

Back to 2) Yea I realised that was a major problem, zombies came so slowly and they were so predictable. I forgot to set the spawn time, and I'll add more spawn points in the middle of the streets.

- Hmm blocking off the park? Maybe. No one goes there anyway.

Upvote 0