• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-ShaunOfTheDead

You should expect the next version to be released some time this week. Here's a list of things that I need to do, I will tick them off as I finish them:

- Place trader in house DONE!
- Fix AI path network DONEish!
- Sort out lights DONE
- Create spawn points DONE
- Test DOING

I totally love this map, looking forward to see your masterpiece~~!!!

Upvote 0
Is it due to your internet connection or performance? What's your computer's specs?

some of my player said it cause lag too I think optimizing the graphic or map may solve this problem? You know,some map will cause lag because sometimes some graphic are not be optimized.

In fact, when I got in, it cause some lag too because I can saw the ping is rapidly increase from 1X to 6X~7X, so maybe the maps have lag issues?? my configuration is quite high, AMD X2 5000+ 9600 GT, 2gb ram, that can handle some game such as devil may cry 4. so the config may not be the problem of KF

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This map is much too dark. I shouldn't have to use a flashlight when I'm walking around the fenced backyards. Take a look at your own screenshots. They're pretty much just stark white skies with black outlines of buildings. This extreme contrast is very harsh on the eyes. I suggest you try to even it out by dramatically increasing the ambient lighting in the level.

Upvote 0
If only your ping is affected and not your framerates, I don't think it's related to the level optimization, rather the server or the number of enemies alive at once.

The point is I don't lag in my config about the amount of monster, only 45 at once, and I am the host, higher ping means my players will lag too at the same time.

It is not about the config of the mobs setting and my server don't lag, I join my server in 1X ping, and other just 2X~4X, I mean local players. even the local players connect to my server and lag when playing this map, is it strange??

My setting of visual is low so it won't cause lagging.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yea iv fixed the darkness, I didn't realise it was hurting my eyes because I was used to it.

The problem is the large open world, which I can't zone off for opitmization. So I'll look up how to disable the rendering of objects which you can see. My computer specs are:

Intel core2duo 2.4Ghz
4gb ram
Nvidia 8600m gt 256mb

And this is a standardish spec for these days, or maybe just better than standard. But the map works quite smoothly on my computer. Please post your computers specs so I can figure out what is causing the problem.

Upvote 0
Yea iv fixed the darkness, I didn't realise it was hurting my eyes because I was used to it.

The problem is the large open world, which I can't zone off for opitmization. So I'll look up how to disable the rendering of objects which you can see. My computer specs are:

Intel core2duo 2.4Ghz
4gb ram
Nvidia 8600m gt 256mb

And this is a standardish spec for these days, or maybe just better than standard. But the map works quite smoothly on my computer. Please post your computers specs so I can figure out what is causing the problem.

My computer spec. are:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 5000+
2GB ram
Nvidia 9600 GT (I don't know how to count) Is it 512 or 1024mb? my dxdiag show 1269mb, I don't know how to count

But my computer is the host of the server, for 18 people, I think some of my player feel lag, I am too

Upvote 0
My computer spec. are:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 5000+
2GB ram
Nvidia 9600 GT (I don't know how to count) Is it 512 or 1024mb? my dxdiag show 1269mb, I don't know how to count

But my computer is the host of the server, for 18 people, I think some of my player feel lag, I am too

ZING! 18 player server? No wonder you lag...even more so with you hosting and playing on the same PC? Yikes.

Upvote 0
OK I'm going to attempt to sound like an expert, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well obviously, hosting a server for 18 people on your own computer is going to be a nightmare. Especially the large number of zombies that have to be "synced???". Have you tried the map with normal settings i.e. 6 players? How does that perform on your computer?

it is not a disaster, at least not me (no lagging, smooth as usual), if you just compare 6 people with 18 people

The point is I played this on beta1, nobody said lagging or anything but people say lagging (or changing map due to lag issues) after your beta2, is that a coincidence?? When we play other maps, we don't have this issues, even 18 people on a large map

ZING! 18 player server? No wonder you lag...even more so with you hosting and playing on the same PC? Yikes.

It is just KF, not some RPGs, my setting works (I mean performance) just fine as usual. Even 18 people are on a server, no one feel lag at all on other maps (the size is bigger than this map), it just happen on this map.

When I am saying the lag issues, I mean just a small lagging (I mean the first wave) but it disappears. However, even my lag issue is gone, people still feel lag on this map instead of other large maps. I don't think the problem comes from my computer.

I am just reflecting what the reality is (what they complaint about and I think optimizing the map when you update new area or stuffs) and the lag issues doesn't bother me because I can play as usual and normal, my computer spec. is not the problem because I am definitely sure about no lagging issues on other large maps. It just happen on this map. I am not blaming anyone, I am just reporting what the players' complaint about.

You can just ignore it but I think this is a excellent map. However, the lag issues cause them willing to change another map instead of this. I feel pity and awful about that. In fact, this is a masterpiece because the models and style, paths, just exactly the same as shaun of the dead, even the feeling. I am still hoping your next update of this masterpiece.

In fact, the lag issues doesn't bother me after all, I will still support for this map but it sucks that some players are lagging on this map.

4X of zombie at once works just fine at the large map without any lagging

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Lag problems can be from odd sources, one of the early brewery betas gave me awful framerates (its been fixed since) and it was all due to a skull with moving eyes if memory serves me right.
Lovely map but I will not be going down to the sewers alone again, the buggers come from everywhere.
Incidentaly one of the pale white chaps got stuck in manhole. I was in the sewer so I shot it from below but I think you might need to nade it if you are at street level.

Upvote 0
Well the beta 2 contains nearly twice as "stuff" as beta 1, so it will unsurpirisingly cause performance issues. I did optimize it, but I did not optimize it enough to work on all computers, because it worked fine on mine. So I will be working on this in 2.1.

I'v also sorted out the darkness issue, that made player's eyes hurt. And also the annoying trader in the tunnel which took ages to get to. There is now a shortcut to the shop from the house garden.

Upvote 0
Well the beta 2 contains nearly twice as "stuff" as beta 1, so it will unsurpirisingly cause performance issues. I did optimize it, but I did not optimize it enough to work on all computers, because it worked fine on mine. So I will be working on this in 2.1.

I'v also sorted out the darkness issue, that made player's eyes hurt. And also the annoying trader in the tunnel which took ages to get to. There is now a shortcut to the shop from the house garden.

I love the beta 2 sewer too because it provide a shortcut to the bar and escape path from the bar.

Hope that your next beta will be better than ever

Upvote 0