• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map KF-QueenAstrid = I need feedback!

DAEDRICK

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2006
Hello guys,

For some reasons my map is not very popular and that means I really need to improve my map making abilities. Unfortunately nobody that downloaded it gave me feedback, so I need your help to tell me all the things wrong with it. Otherwise I wont improve.

It was all based off a real location in Belgium, you can see it here:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dinant,+Belgique/@50.2605597,4.9120887,3a,90y,33.25h,86.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSHMseR1Mbxr6_Qnp6VThZQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DSHMseR1Mbxr6_Qnp6VThZQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D354.81436%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c1bfe2f7f2b0d5:0xe3ff8b1f0e189770!6m1!1e1

KF-QueenAstridOverview.jpg

The map: http://www.moddb.com/games/killing-floor-2/addons/kf-queenastrid

The uncooked version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6tvshj0hg5ss0d1/KF-QueenAstridUncooked.rar?dl=0

Thank you very much for your input, dont be shy to be harsh. I need to know whats wrong with it.

Last edited:
one thing i see right away from the screens. Is you need more background. When a player looks out of the lvl and sees there is actually nothing there, It takes away from the immersion. Your goal is to keep the player emerisive, for the whole game, to the point that they forget they are even playing a game. To do this, the player has to believe they are in the environment, and anything that is not realistic, takes them out of the game, and back to reality.

Example: maybe even a mountain ring texture around the map, just to blend in the rest of the emptyness, that might do the trick.

Possible extra mountain behind the mountain, to give it depth, to show that there is more mountains behind the main.

EDIT: Ok theres more, on the last pic i see wood on the floor, but i dont see a source from where that wood was broken from. Just stuff like that, makes the detailing have more meaning, and makes it that much better.

Some things that i like to do, is actaully place the object normally, then pretend or imagine what happened then. Where did the zeds come from in the beg, and kill everyone, what would have happened. Ok this chair got knocked over, so ill knock over that chair. Every piece of detail has a purpose, and has a story behind it for what happened to it, and why is it knocked over or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Indeed, there is supposed to be a montain behind the church, and a quite big one at that. I lacked time for phase 1 to make a static mesh but its on the "to do" list.

As for the wood, Im not sure I know which one you are talking about. If its the bar picture, then yes there is the barricaded door that was smashed open. The whole bar was barricaded also, so that might explain the planks on the floor. But I totally understand what you are saying and I will try to apply it even more. :D

It was all based off a real location in Belgium, you can see it here:
[url]https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dinant,+Belgique/@50.2605597,4.9120887,3a,90y,33.25h,86.01t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sSHMseR1Mbxr6_Qnp6VThZQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DSHMseR1Mbxr6_Qnp6VThZQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D354.81436%26pitch%3D0!7i13312!8i6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x47c1bfe2f7f2b0d5:0xe3ff8b1f0e189770!6m1!1e1[/URL]

Upvote 0
Your map already looks really good! I love that you put in a lot of debris, furniture and stuff to fill out the environment. It really adds a lot and is super important.

Some things that i like to do, is actaully place the object normally, then pretend or imagine what happened then. Where did the zeds come from in the beg, and kill everyone, what would have happened. Ok this chair got knocked over, so ill knock over that chair. Every piece of detail has a purpose, and has a story behind it for what happened to it, and why is it knocked over or not.
Fel says it so beautifully here. Really words of wisdom :eek:

Upvote 0
I agree with Fel.
This, Sir or Madame, is quite educated in map development.

The map has great enough amount of detail, I think, and unless the background is supposed to feel empty, it could use a backdrop (or whatever it's called in the UDK) and that's about all it needs.

I have not tried the map yet, with my siblings, but it is on my personal server.
So as soon as I give it a fair go, I'll try to remember to report any bugs or ideas I come up with, here.

Cheers.

Upvote 0
Pros:
The layout is complex, varied and still easy to navigate
The level of detail is very high
No visible repetition of designs
Good use of available assets to create a believable version of the reference material

Cons:
Blocking volumes are the invisible foundation upon which solid gameplay in a level are built. Currently there are numerous (I stopped keeping track after 10) locations the player can reach that ZEDS cannot.

I believe it's possible to knock ZEDS over the ledge by the water. If this can be done to large ZEDS and the boss it would be exploited consistently.
Players can also jump off and die. Official maps in KF2 don't have ledges anyone can jump over and die, but this is one of those points where you can choose the direction you want for your project or "follow the rules", up to you.

The flags by the bridge lose their aesthetic when you stand under one and it's completely flat. In the current location it takes away from the immersion more than it provides. Maybe a relocation?

A handful of assets are either floating or clipping into other assets. It's not a game breaker obviously, but it is noticeable and by today's gaming standards should be addressed, albeit tedious.

Lighting. The lighting is decent, but it's not very stimulating. You have a wonderful "base layer" so to speak, but it's ready for some more precise attention. Possibly lower the overall lighting (sky or dominant) levels a tad to appreciate all the lights you have placed throughout the map.
I notice inside the church everything is rather bright. This would be a great location to add some flickering orange lights by the barrel fires and also make use of the construction lights shining across the interior to provide a desolate and dangerous ambiance.

Overall:
This can be a great map. You have built a solid blueprint. Maps go through many phases from concept to final. I would say this is 80% completed, relative to what more you can do with it to make it top notch.

Address blocking volume issues, asset clipping/floating, spice up the lighting a bit and you will have one of the top tier custom maps created for KF2 thus far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I agree with Fel.
This, Sir or Madame, is quite educated in map development.

The map has great enough amount of detail, I think, and unless the background is supposed to feel empty, it could use a backdrop (or whatever it's called in the UDK) and that's about all it needs.

I have not tried the map yet, with my siblings, but it is on my personal server.
So as soon as I give it a fair go, I'll try to remember to report any bugs or ideas I come up with, here.

Cheers.

Please do, it will be highly helpful!

Pros:
The layout is complex, varied and still easy to navigate
The level of detail is very high
No visible repetition of designs
Good use of available assets to create a believable version of the reference material

Cons:
Blocking volumes are the invisible foundation upon which solid gameplay in a level are built. Currently there are numerous (I stopped keeping track after 10) locations the player can reach that ZEDS cannot.

I believe it's possible to knock ZEDS over the ledge by the water. If this can be done to large ZEDS and the boss it would be exploited consistently.
Players can also jump off and die. Official maps in KF2 don't have ledges anyone can jump over and die, but this is one of those points where you can choose the direction you want for your project or "follow the rules", up to you.

The flags by the bridge lose their aesthetic when you stand under one and it's completely flat. In the current location it takes away from the immersion more than it provides. Maybe a relocation?

A handful of assets are either floating or clipping into other assets. It's not a game breaker obviously, but it is noticeable and by today's gaming standards should be addressed, albeit tedious.

Lighting. The lighting is decent, but it's not very stimulating. You have a wonderful "base layer" so to speak, but it's ready for some more precise attention. Possibly lower the overall lighting (sky or dominant) levels a tad to appreciate all the lights you have placed throughout the map.
I notice inside the church everything is rather bright. This would be a great location to add some flickering orange lights by the barrel fires and also make use of the construction lights shining across the interior to provide a desolate and dangerous ambiance.

Overall:
This can be a great map. You have built a solid blueprint. Maps go through many phases from concept to final. I would say this is 80% completed, relative to what more you can do with it to make it top notch.

Address blocking volume issues, asset clipping/floating, spice up the lighting a bit and you will have one of the top tier custom maps created for KF2 thus far.

Ugh, I really need to fix these locations, indeed. I have the bad tendency to play games how they are meant to be played and that doesnt work when testing a map, ahaha. If you could point me to the location, a vague description will do. Either way I will try to locate them myself.

Yes, the water killing people was intended, I did not try to push zeds into it though, maybe I will block it if I manage to do it, or someone else report being able to do it.

Yes, I need to change the flags to the correct nation. Also I will apply wind and that will probably fix it visually. But its true to the reference bridge.

Hmmm, there are certainly some objects clipping, though I didnt notice them. I will try to locate them.

True, I wanted to make a cloudy day time atmosphere, but really the sky box isnt spectacular and the lighting doesnt fit with the road puddles... I need to work on it. I will probably make a new skydome texture and maybe even switch it to nightime.

Will do, you gave me new hope for that map, I was supposed to start working on it monday but I couldnt gather the courage. Now I have more confidence and I will make it great!

Thanks guys, please do continu providing input! <3

Upvote 0
This map is not so bad , it just need....

1. Add some invisible wall to this place:

People found this place , zed can't touch you , now all the players stay here...........no more challenge.

D7C62FD319A626CE17E13AF604A5F26D9515B1DD

277F2552921F42FAFAC89DD006235B1BD93D57DB

2. Fix the river :
The only place look ugly , the river , it look like mud water , and no river floor....it should be improved.

3. Add this map on Steam Workshop :
My server host said he can't install the map file due to the server computer isn't owned by him , he can only add workshop map.
If your map place on Steam Workshop , people can see your map , make discussion , also they will auto-update the map if you update the map in workshop.

Upvote 0