• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF - Powerplant

Luigi4518

Mar 24, 2013
Hi.
This is my first real try at making a killing floor map so I hope its not to bad.
Its based in a nuclear power plant that has been overrun by the zeds.

Now the pictures:

tqp8woU.png

4j5B84U.png

0B7GZMC.png

KQ85PGp.jpg

XlySmCI.jpg

FgiBfX3.jpg

Mvahdvl.jpg

So what do people think?

To Do:
Finish first trader (The doors)
Finish other trader rooms
Finish the turbine hall
Finish the reactor hall (a few more bits and pieces)
Final cleanup

Just a few things I noticed for input.

The 2nd to last picture has unaligned wall textures that stand out. You can fix this by selecting your wall textures you want to align and then right clicking > Alignment > Planear Walls.

Your lighting is very has little contrast. I would suggest using lights with less radius with more brightness to help bring out some depth with shadows. You can also use directional lights for more control over what is lit and where. You can do this be setting the light effect in your light's properties to StaticSpot, and setting bDirectional in the advanced tab to true. You can then "Rotate your light like you would with a staticmesh. In addition to rotating your light you can also use the LightCone property to change how wide of an angle your directional light has.

Upvote 0
Not bad design for what I have seen and the decoration seems good but you are missing the lighting effect. It seems your rooms are really bright but nothing really giving it out. Your first picture is ok but may need a slight decrease but your second picture is bang on. The rest need to follow the theme of lighting as in if there is lots of light, there must be a reason of giving that amount of light. An example of this going wrong is from your third picture onwards. They seem to have very little lights but you have an extreme amount of light as if you had sunlight all through the room. Show that it is actual light and not that sort of thing and that will improve your atmosphere greatly.

Sorry if it's hard to understand, I found it hard to explain lol.

Upvote 0
UPDATES :D
So lets start at one of if not THE single most important part ... the traders now have doors.. but there is always SOMETHING wrong and this is where it get a little tricky, usually between waves 4 - 7 during one of the trader times niether door will open, simply you can't shop.
Now I have reached a rather hard decision, because it has only ever happend to me once per game while testing rather than break the map it actually makes the game slightly harder because you will more often than not become pressed for ammo (A factor i could cancel out by adding ammo spawns), this combines with the fact that while it happend to me midway into the game i have no idea what it will do for others which means the door bug is random.
So this leaves me with a difficult desision leave the doors the way they are or see what i can do about fixing them.
What are your opinions?

On to the next piece of business, that horrific lighting has been done away with and replaced with a light scheme that I hope will emulate Biotics Lab, along with this 95% of the map now has lights.

The map itself is 80% done, I am just debating if I should add another major area to the map and currently i am leaning towards yes as it would allow the deadend spots to be connected to eachother.

Well thats about it, pictures will be coming in about 2 days or so (weekend :D), so please let me know what you think of my ... door situation.

Upvote 0