• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design KF-Oilrig (help required with lighting error)

I have resumed working on my Oilrig level again for KF, and have messed up somewhere in relation to the lighting, but I cant think what Actor setting I have changed to make it go the way it has.

If anyone can see from the screenshots where I have gone wrong, then please do point me in the correct direction, as I have run out of ideas as to where it went erk!

In the editor the lighting looks pretty much as I want it to look.When I go into game however it changes to a really fogged out and blurred picture, with the lighting unable to pierce through the gloom. Everything is very murky. If I turn off the distancefog, then the problem goes away, but I want to keep it for this map, so I am guessing it is something in relation to the fog, but I havent hit upon the solution yet after almost a week of attempts.

All suggestions are welcomed and gratefully received...

A little breakdown of the screenshots.

Screenshot Oilrig 1a - shows the first picture I see as soon as I test the game in singleplayer mode. Screenshot Oilrig 1b - shows the screen a second later as the game seems to realise that fog is supposed to be drawn, and it then becomes very murky.
photostream
Oilrig1a.jpg

photostream

Oilrig1b.jpg

Screenshot Oilrig 4a shows a scene in the SDK with the distance fog turned off, and Oilrig 4b shows the same scene with fog turned on.
photostream
Oilrig4a.jpg

photostream

Oilrig4b.jpg

Personally I think the dark looks pretty good, nice looking map btw.

This is definately something to do with your zoneinfo's. I'd look into messing with those.

• Do you use more than 1 zoneinfo in your map?
  • If so are they properly sealed into their own zones?
  • Try deleting the zoneinfo in question and adding a new one with the same settings.
  • Have you added another zoneinfo into the same area by mistake?

Upvote 0
Try playing with the zone info lighting or just setting they're default values if you still want the Overlay. If all else fails turn the mood overlay off.

The in your face fog that you dont want is the overlay....................even with a nice light fog setting, you can still see the overlay (EX: Candlesmoke)

don't you think he has played with the zonefog already?

Here try this setting if you want for your outside zone fog.

(this is off the top of my head for the names)
Maximum fog distance: 15000
MinStarting Distance : (between -1000 and -4000) depending on how thick you want it

But even wit this fog setting, your going to have to turn off the overlay.

Cant wait for someone to take this comment and tell me im wrong somehow.....Or just rephrase what i just said to sound like its a new suggestion

Oh for your water, try using a Fluid Surface info with that same water texture you are using. I think it'll look better as well. This will also give you some movement and wave like stuff in your water.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Its all opinion really. I just don't like how the overlay looks, seems too in your face. Once overlay is taken off, IN MY MIND, it looks sooo much better

Not on Biolabs, offices, westlondon, manor and many other maps that look disgusting without it. If you do think it looks better, well then your one of the few.

Edit: Sorry I meant, if you think it looks better on those maps without it, I'm not sure what to say. Sometimes it is neccessary and looks good with the overlay, sometimes it makes it impossible to see, sometimes it looks good, sometimes it looks bad. You can't call it good or bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falidell and Fel
Upvote 0
Not on Biolabs, offices, westlondon, manor and many other maps that look disgusting without it. If you do think it looks better, well then your one of the few.

I guess it just depends on the atmosphere. I'm using a combo of fog overlay and areas without it and its turning out quite nice. "*hit is situational" ;)

Also, Ding! 1000th post!

Reactions: YoYoBatty
Upvote 0
Turn off your overlay to get rid of the murky fog

(This is off the top of my head) Actors>Info>Gameinfo>KFSPGameInfo

Then UseVisionOverlay= False

And use Moonlight actors with a low light value (15 or so) to brighten it up and have more natural light

Thanks Fel,

This worked a treat for me. now I just have to readjust my light settings again, as I was trying to over compensate for the murky fog. Time to put in all the proper detail in the level now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0