• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mac KF not starting; none of the known fixes applicable

surreptor

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 12, 2014
Hey everybody!

Some time ago I ran into the problem of Killing Floor just quitting upon startup without giving me any kind of error message. After some experimenting, this issue could be resolved by disabling the Steam overlay, which was a moderate nuisance, but acceptable. Now, however, neither enabling or disabling the Steam overlay nor starting in windowed or fullscreen mode enabled me to start the game.

What I've tried:
- enabling/disabling Steam overlay
- windowed/fullscreen
- restarting computer
- verifying game cache integrity
- reinstalling the game

What I'm running:
- Macbook Air 13'' late 2013, maxed out
- Mac OSX 10.9.1
- fully updated Steam / Killing Floor

Thank you for your help already in advance.

Kind regards,

Surreptor

Attachments

• KillingFloor.log
    4 KB · Views: 0
Crashes on the same UpdateGamma call that mine does. Or at least the log gives the same trace. I've found that repeated attempts to launch it randomly meet with success, maybe one in ten. That's the only fix I've found: stupid persistence. Anyone else?

Edit: Adding
Code:
-nogamma
to the game’s launch options (right-click in Steam, click “Properties”, click “Set Launch Options…”) disables in-game gamma settings, but also disables the crash while we wait for an update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Forgive the noob question* but how would I go about removing a launch option, later?

I mean, I can see where I could type -nogamma if I wanted to turn gamma control off, but one of the problems I am experiencing is the opposite: that my Mac KF installation has lost the ability to control brightness, gamma and contrast in the menus. I'll accept the crashes if I must (on average, about twice a night) in exchange for being able to actually see what's going on in the game.

So, where would I find the text file that -nogamma or whatnot ends up in, please?

* Not that a user should have to tinker with a commercial piece of software to make it work. This is appalling. :mad:

Upvote 0
Forgive the noob question* but how would I go about removing a launch option, later?

Same way you add it: right-click the game in your Steam library, choose “Properties”, and click “Set launch options…”. If you had any launch options set, that’s where they would be.

I'll accept the crashes if I must (on average, about twice a night) in exchange for being able to actually see what's going on in the game.

I don’t think we’re talking about the same crashes here. For us, it wasn’t crashing while loading a game; it would not launch at all, no menus, nothing. But anyway, you should still be able to control your screen’s brightness the normal way, independently of the game. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, then I have no launch options. Thank you - at least that removes one possible culprit. Still no idea why the mouse is moving sluggishly in the menus, nor why moving a slider in a menu doesn't alter brightness, gamma or contrast, despite changing the numerical value displayed.

Changing gamma for the computer as a whole, rather than within KF is a good work-around. Thanks.

Upvote 0